Newbie Seeking Urgently Seeking Knowledge

Howdy to All,
As I have indicated, I am new to this community. As such I hope this is in the right place and that you bear with me if my questions sound dumb. They have already been addressed, then I would appreciate a link to the relevant post.

I provide Tech Support to a school that is urgently looking for a cost-effective alternative to Zoom (before it goes boom) for their classes and I expect their general operations. If this software is half what I have heard about it then I think we have the solution they need.

Question 1 - I noticed from the Tutorial that the server can be run from a VPS and they were using Digital Ocean which I already have an account with. What would be the minimum Droplet requirements for a pilot of 25 users?

Question 2 - I am not very comfortable with Debian/Ubuntu. Can this be done using CentOS?

Question 3 - Many students in my country think of their phone or tablet as the means to the internet and several are finding out that streaming on a mobile device is not the best experience for teaching/learning. Is there anything that can or should be done at the backend to help deliver the best possible experience for them?

Question 4 - I am looking at using Fedena Open Source to manage student information and material with Moodle as my secondary option. Worst comes to the worst we can go with Slack. Can this software be integrated with any of them or any Edu ERP?

My thanks in advance for all the help provided.

In my experience, cpu usage on the server is not that high. It mostly network traffic, the computers (clients) do all the video encoding/decoding. I did however make some changes to the default and max quality. I nave changed it from 720 to 480, which is more than enough and saves you quite some bandwidth. Take a look at this topic for more info: [jitsi-dev] How to change resolution and frame rate (FPS) of Jitsi?

You should really go with Debian. The steps in the quick install are really easy to follow and since most installs are on Debian, you’ll probably run into fewer problems and get more support on the forums.

Use something with 8GB of RAM and 2 cores.

Sorry, we use only Debian and Ubuntu and provide packages for those.

I know there is some model plugin using jitsi-meet, you can check it.

You have both provided me with invluable information. Big thanks.

Vrowdy - From what I have read, i get the feeling that not only can the backend be configured to stream at 480p (which seems to be the sweetspot for quality and bandwidt conservation) but also that restriction is automatic if the end users are using the browser instead of the downloaded client. This is better for me as those I seek to serve are not tech savvy. Also, the majority would be using mobile phones or perhaps tablets. Well something to refine as I go along.

Damencho - Debian it is, so I will get to learning what I have to. When I check the Digital Ocean site the smallest Droplet that met your suggestion was 8GB/4 CPU/160SSD/5TB TRANSFER. I figure this would be better given the following information I found. There is a Jitsi plugin for Moodle and what is more interesting is that there seems to be a way to integrate Moodle with Fedena. So I figure what I should do is get the Jitisi server up first to see how much adjustments will be required there. Then install Moodle on the same Droplet, customize that as required and integrate it with Jitsi using the plugin. After that I can install Fedena (which might prove unnecessary) and integrate it with the working Moodle implementation. Might be confusing and complicated but I will be sure that each layer works as well as it should. If you have a better approach, I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks again and any more information or advice would be welcome from all sources.