New hackathon! Winning over the classroom with Jitsi

Hey there Fellow Jitsters! Today we are very excited to announce we are launching an education themed hackathon together with the European Commission . The ultimate goal is to improve Jitsi for education usage, which has seen incredible growth in the past year, as you can imagine. Come and join us in this new hackathon, running from the 26th of April until the 3rd of May .

See the full blog post here: Winning over the classroom with Jitsi - Jitsi

3 Likes

Is it possible to suggest challenges?

Working in a campus environment I could ask our faculty staff what they are missing (and which are a reason why some asked for an additional Big Blue Button instance).

A whiteboard feature would be nice for example.

Absolutely! You can do so when registering. The proposed challenges are just proposals.

When I registered I didn’t found a question about proposal. Here are some suggestions.

• Ordered list of participants with hands up. First with hand up in first position.
  • Poll system. With yes/no answers or a,b,c… custom polls.

Great initiative. Thank you.

You can create a new project once registered, see these examples: https://platform-euhack21.bemyapp.com/#/projects

Hi @saghul :wave:

Last year we developed a wrapper with React for Jitsi to add breakout capabilities and use it to move our coderdojo clubs activities online. It has some nice features for our use case, for example: the ability to quickly move participants between different breakouts; simple file sharing at classroom level, 2 roles (mentors and participants).
Everything is already on github GitHub - virtualdojo/virtualdojo-rooms: Create and manage classroom sessions with multiple video chat rooms. It can also be useful to organise small conference or meetup with various topics. and is not under active development.

Since the rules state " * Your submission should be developed entirely during the Hackathon period (April 26 – May 03)" I’m wondering if we can participate or not with our solution.
Thanks for any clarification.

Bye
Giulio

1 Like

Cool… one of my proposals here https://platform-euhack21.bemyapp.com/#/projects/607f14e20e05120019f18de7

2 Likes

This hackathon is about building things into Jitsi and improving it, not creating external projects that use Jitsi. So I’d say that project as such wouldn’t qualify, but what you learned from it could be applied to replicate the behavior in an integrated way.

Also, don’t forget to consider the mobile use case :wink:

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok, sure, thanks for the answer!

Good luck to everyone :wink: