Network drops causing Ghost users

Hi there.

We’ve been running Jitsi for a while now, pretty much stock docker build.

One issue I’m working on has got to do with Client Network interruptions.
Say a client goes offline and comes back online, the bosh timeout is triggered, which then removes the user from the room.

Unfortunately, the user isn’t completely removed. Sometimes they can still here and see everything in the room, but no-one else can see them.

They don’t get disconnected from MUC though, as they can still send chat messages.

I’ve tried playing around with the xmppPing values in the JitsiConnection Options, but they don’t seem to make a difference to the trigger points of the timeout.

I’m considering going to Websocket connections with Smacks instead of BOSH for this reason, as many of the clients have flaky internet.

Are there any other considerations that I should look at?:thinking:

This is strange. Which version of jitsi-meet is that? After the automatic reload of the page they should successfully connect to the conference.

Also, what version of Prosody are you running?

Our setup is built from:

jitsi/jvb:stable-5963
jitsi/jicofo:stable-5963
jitsi/prosody:stable-5963

https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/archive/refs/tags/stable-5963.tar.gz

Hope this helps?

What’s the output of this command?

dpkg -s prosody | grep Version

Hey Freddie,

it’s Version: 0.11.10-1~buster1, this is our development environment, our production system is also having this issue and that deployment is much older. (built end of last year).

I forgot to mention. We are not using the web interface that comes with the build, but in fact a custom front-end. (I should probably test whether this issue can be re-created on the supplied front-end as well)

I agree. Because I have a strong hunch this has to do with your front-end integration. One thing’s for sure though, migrating to websockets will give a better experience.

Yes, sure. I wasn’t involved in the build of the front-end, but maintaining it and still digging up all the issues.
As I said “the Issue is on both environments” it did dawn on me that the problem is in the front-end code, not with jitsi components.

Websockets do feel like the right direction to go, so we’ll give it a go!

Thanks for the speedy replies, really appreciate it :1st_place_medal: