Needs to expose port 10000 for the extra JVB when LoadBalncing?

Hi all,

I’ve set up a nice docker stack and another JVB for load balancing, which is working great according this guide: How to add a second jvb instance? · Issue #372 · jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet · GitHub .

So here comes the questions:

Do I need to expose port 10000/UDP for the extra JVB, while I don’t know that users are connecting to the extra JVB directly or just through the main server?

Are both JVBs in the same private network or does each have its own public IP?

Hi Freddie,

Both currently are on different hosts in order to share the loading of host, so have its own public IP addresses.

BTW, would it also work to have few JVBs on the same host and also sharing the loading? I got 8 cores vCPU and only about 30% of CPU usage during about 90 users, but the load1 usually goes to 7-8. That’s why I’m trying to add more JVB and having no idea where the root cause is yet.

If each JVB has its own public IP, then you have to open port 10000/UDP on each one of them.

It’s possible to have multiple JVBs on the same server but it defeats the purpose, since the main idea behind multiple JVBs is to spread the bandwidth demands. It’s not advisable in production at all as a server fail creates one single point of failure with no failover.

Hi Freddie,

Indeed, please let me know if I’m wrong with the concept:

hostA-whole-stack: 192.168.0.1
hostB-JVB: 192.168.0.2

The users access the web on 192.168.0.1 and also directly 192.168.0.2 with 10000/UDP for JVB both at the same time if the load balancing is active, right?
I’m a litte bit afraid that it won’t work if they also have different WAN IPs and users are on the internet.

Any experiences or ideas are so appreciate for saving me lots of times.

Those are private IPs. If you want to host both JVBs in your private network (behind one public IP), then you need to use different port numbers e.g. 10000/udp for hostA and 10001/udp for hostB. You must remember to forward those ports to the respective hosts too.

Thanks for comfirming the scenario of two JVBs on a host. And yes, I know those are private IPs, just for example. There are three IPs: docker private IP, private LAN IP and public WAN IP if this service is public.

I’ve faced an issue with a single docker-stack node if the public IP of incoming and outgoing is different due to physical firewall routing. Just want to make sure the load balancing won’t be failed in this kind of situation, either.

Should there be no problem with two different JVB hosts, which both are 10000/UDP accessible and different private and public IP, if someone need to use this service on the internet?