Muted track and "black video" bug

Hey,

I’ve finally managed to replicate a bug we’re randomly facing in production (we have an up-to-date self-hosted Jitsi Meet server and use lib-jitsi-meet.js built from tag jitsi-meet_4639 to build a custom UI):

• create a new room and join with one browser
  • join the room with another browser
  • kill the second browser (don’t close it, but kill the process, i.e. “not-graceful” shutdown, happens in real life apparently, maybe when running out of battery, or simply when the browser crashes for some reason I guess)
  • the first browser now sees a “black video” in place of the killed browser for a while, then receives JitsiMeetJS.events.conference.USER_LEFT (which allows us to clean up the UI at this point)
  • any participant joining before the JitsiMeetJS.events.conference.USER_LEFT is sent do see a “black video” too

UX isn’t great when this happens, so I’m trying to catch those “black videos” before the JitsiMeetJS.events.conference.USER_LEFT is sent so that I can “preclean up” the UI.

I logged the JitsiTrack objects I receive, when the track is “working” (i.e. no issue, video is “moving”, all good):

disposed: false
hasBeenMuted: false
isP2P: false
muted: false
type: "video"
videoType: "camera"
stream: MediaStream
  active: true
track: MediaStreamTrack
  enabled: true
  kind: "video"
  muted: false

When the track brings a “black video”:

disposed: false
hasBeenMuted: false
isP2P: false
muted: false             // here, muted:false, while
type: "video"
videoType: "camera"
stream: MediaStream
  active: false          // here, active:false
track: MediaStreamTrack
  enabled: true
  kind: "video"
  muted: true            // and here, muted:true

Any reason why the JitsiTrack’s muted can be false while the actual enclosed MediaStreamTrack’s muted is true? Do they represent a different “muted” concept?

MDN on MediaStreamTrack#muted (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/MediaStreamTrack/muted):

The muted read-only property of the MediaStreamTrack interface returns a Boolean value indicating whether or not the track is currently unable to provide media output. […] To implement a way for users to mute and unmute a track, use the enabled property.

Should I start looking for this property to catch those “black videos”, or are the Jitsi JS objects abstracting those for me already? Do you recommend using the native MediaStreamTrack#onunmute event handler? I couldn’t find my way out through the docs to be honest (https://github.com/jitsi/lib-jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/API.md).

Thanks for Jitsi, brilliant opensource tech, keep it up!

Chris

Hmm, actually, Chrome updates the console.logged object states, so those logs I’ve posted aren’t in the state they are when I first receive then…

When the track brings a “black video”:

• I first get jitsiTrack.track.muted === false
  • then the native jitsiTrack.track.onunmute event handle is called (short after, say less than 2 seconds)
  • and finally, jitsiTrack.track.muted === true (which is what I see in the console as Chrome updated the debugged track’s state)

I’m currently hacking around with audio#onloadeddata and video#onloadeddata instead, as they seem to not be called when the video is “black”, which could help me not display those “black videos”…

Stay tuned, and I’m still interested about an “official way” of avoiding those short-living “black videos” :wink:

hi @chrischris, any luck on this issue?

I’m having these exact issues anytime a new user JOINS the room and publishes their video!