Multiple videobridges howto?

I’m using a domain I own. Not sure if anything related to certificates will work when using IP-Adresses.

Hi all,

thanks for your time.

Now I’m playing with a setup to split up jitsi-videobridge2 from jicofo jitsi-meet-web, jitsi-meet-web-config, jitsi-meet-prosody packages, to have only jitsi-videobridge2 standalone servers in the bridge pool.

On the first server (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) I installed the following packages, not the jitsi-meet meta package:

jicofo
jitsi-meet-web
jitsi-meet-web-config
jitsi-meet-prosody

The strange thing is, that all configs are named to a domain called ok even if I enter the FQDN during installation, which results in config files like /etc/jitsi/meet/ok-config.js or /etc/nginx/sites-available/ok.conf.

So what I did, was reinstalling the “full” jitsi-meet meta package on a fresh server and made a backup from the working config files. After that I reinstalled the complete server, again only with jicofo jitsi-meet-web, jitsi-meet-web-config, jitsi-meet-prosody packages and copied the working fqdn-config.js file from the working full setup to /etc/jitsi/meet/. Same with the nginx config, where I removed /etc/nginx/sites-available/ok.conf and replaced it with the nginx config from the “full” install. Then I set the JVB_SECRET with prosodyctl passwd jvb@auth.my-fqdn, because the videobridge on the second server was not able to connect with the Jitsi Videobridge Component secret I entered while installing the first server (I think the setup created a user something like jvb@auth.ok`).

So, this “split setup” is working. :grinning: Admittedly, this is a rather weird and cumbersome way of installation to separate the videobridges from web and prosody. How do you do it here?

Cheers!
Marcus

You could just install the whole shebang and then remove the jitsi-videobridge2 package which will uninstall jitsi-meet too.

Or just stop / disable the service and keep the package around. Doesn’t really hurt, does it? You want to be able to find the jvb password after all :wink:

@Balu installing the full jitsi-meet meta package and removing jitsi-videobridge2 will deinstall all jitsi packages, as jitsi-meet depends on debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, jitsi-videobridge, jitsi-meet-prosody, openjdk-8-jre-headless | nginx. It would be nice to have an optional meta package for installing without jitsi-videobridge2. And yes, I could install the full setup and just disable the videobridge. But I’d like to install only needed packages. :wink:

# apt-get remove jitsi-videobridge2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  ca-certificates-java coturn java-common jicofo jitsi-meet-prosody jitsi-meet-turnserver jitsi-meet-web jitsi-meet-web-config libasound2 libasound2-data libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common3 libcups2 libevent-extra-2.1-6 libevent-openssl-2.1-6 libhiredis0.14 liblcms2-2 libmariadb3 libnspr4 libnss3 libpcsclite1 libpq5 libxi6 libxrender1 libxtst6 mariadb-common mysql-common
  openjdk-11-jre-headless sqlite3 telnet x11-common
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jitsi-meet jitsi-videobridge2

They will be shown as “no longer required”, but they won’t be removed. If you request an install for each, they will just stay on your system as needed.

# apt-get install jicofo jitsi-meet-prosody jitsi-meet-turnserver jitsi-meet-web jitsi-meet-web-config
Building dependency tree
jicofo is already the newest version (1.0-541-1).
jicofo set to manually installed.
jitsi-meet-prosody is already the newest version (1.0.3969-1).
jitsi-meet-prosody set to manually installed.
jitsi-meet-turnserver is already the newest version (1.0.3969-1).
jitsi-meet-turnserver set to manually installed.
jitsi-meet-web-config is already the newest version (1.0.3969-1).
jitsi-meet-web-config set to manually installed.
jitsi-meet-web is already the newest version (1.0.3969-1).
jitsi-meet-web set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
#
# apt-get remove jitsi-videobridge2
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jitsi-meet jitsi-videobridge2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 36.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
1 Like

Ah, nice one. Didn’t see that. Thanks!

hi @thoemie

on your setup do you see the load balancing work among the videobridges?

i tried many times but unable to make this happen.

if i do the same way as you proposed, i can see the pub-sub error:

SEVERE: Error received when publishing to the node: sharedStatsNode. Message: null. Condition: forbidden.

The problem is, that a later apt autoremove will remove all jitsi-meet-xyz packages then.

No, I’m wrong. Have overseen

apt install jicofo jitsi-meet-web jitsi-meet-web-config jitsi-meet-prosody

1 Like

On my systems the jcofo is only splitting up when there is more than one concurrent conference.

That doesnt work me either

I have share a multiple bridge installation manual here:

https://www.doganbros.com/index.php/jitsi/scaling-up-your-jitsi-with-jitsi-bridges/