Hi Jitsi team,
We’ve got a community of people using Jitsi to match up for calls and sessions, within the last few weeks users have had increasing problems using meet.jit.si for these connections.
Everything from dropped connections, to video and audio not working on one side or the other, sometimes both sides.
My question is, has anything significant changed in the last couple weeks that would generate these types of issues using meet.jit.si?
These are often users who have had no problems or much fewer problems using the video sessions before now and it’s not clear yet if there’s a pattern to what is causing the issue.
Are you receiving other reports like this, I don’t seem to see much in the forums here about issues.
I’m wondering if variables we are passing in a url are part of the problem have or if there’s just an increase of meet.jit.si usage that’s making the connections problematic.
I’d be interested if you have any insight into what might potentially be the issue here. We’ve got users on Mac and Windows, Firefox and Chrome, some mobile users as well but I haven’t heard any reports of issues with Mobile yet.
Sometimes it seems reloading helps, other times it doesn’t.
Any insight you might have into this issue, I know that I’m providing just general information at the moment but if there’s more I could do to provide helpful info for troubleshooting please let me know.
I will look at the chrome://webrtc-internals to try to investigate more as well, based on some info that was shared in another thread too.
Thanks for your help