Multidomain or multiple installations?

Given a scenario with an existing self-hosted Jitsi instance (not in secure mode) with a scalable setup (with many video bridges), let’s call it meet.example.com, what would be the best approach to:

1. Run a secure-mode instance in parallel (to allow users to migrate to secure mode while still having access to the non-secure instance), i.e. secure-meet.example.com
  2. Have multiple entry points on different domains (sub or tld doesn’t matter) with different configs for Jigasi (own SIP account) and Jibri (own streaming credentials), i.e. meet.example-sub1.com, meet.example-sub2.com,…

while still using the existing (or at least sharing a common) pool of video bridges to make better use of resources?

Option a) Use multi-domain approach
I guess this would help only for requirement 2, although I’m not sure if it would also address the custom Jigasi/Jibri topic.
Option b) have multiple (disconnected?) Jitsi Meet (prosody, jicofo, jigasi, jibri, …) instances for each domain/use case but have all of them use the same pool of videobridges.
I’m not sure if this is even possible at all, especially when mixing secure-mode and non-secure-mode instances. jitsi-videobridge/http.md at master · jitsi/jitsi-videobridge · GitHub indicates that a cross-domain setup is possible, but I haven’t seen any other references, implication or configuration examples for such a setup.

Any suggestions/recommendations or even examples for such a setup?

You should not use jvb to serve meet. Ignore that doc, we should drop it.

You can use the same jvb for different environments, you can configure it to connect to different shards.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply @damencho, that certainly sounds like good news and option b.

Do you have any hints for documentation or examples for a JVB connecting to different shards?

Nope, but you can put multiple connection configurations here:

Something like this:

And properties defined here: jicoco/MucClientConfiguration.java at master · jitsi/jicoco · GitHub