Modifying interface_config.js and applying changes in dev mode

Hi there,
I recently started with jitsi-meet, checked out the code, went through dev spec and read couple of threads on community. I am still unable to understand the flow of updating interface_config.js file. I am running jitsi using make dev command. After making some changes into interface_config but dev server doesn’t pick that change. am I doing it in correct way ? I tried restarting the dev server but no luck. Can someone please help me understand what is the correct procedure ?

Did you update your root to point to your dev folder?

Go and edit this line: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/debian/jitsi-meet/jitsi-meet.example#L38

See : Custom Deployment doesn't render with styles

Also make sure you disable cache in Chrome developer tools.

By the way, if all you want to do is override the interface config, you don’t need to remake for that. Just point to your modified file in the nginx config, like this:

Location = /interface_config.js
{
     alias /usr/share/jitsi-meet/my-interface_config.js;
}

I simply checked out jitsi-meet repository, did npm install and ran it using make dev. I didn’t configured nginx or anything. Current dev server is running using webpack-dev-server on localhost:8080.

Follow the quick install steps: https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/devops-guide/devops-guide-quickstart

It’s strongly recommended you run this to get all the other components configured to have a working install before you edit the src.

See: Custom Deployment doesn't render with styles

Alright… So we need to make changes into/etc/nginx/sites-available/your-domain. To point it to my local repo: root /home/myuser/jitsi-meet;

After I did this changes and restarted my nginx service nginx start. It start picking up the changes from the said directory. but it only picks the interface_config.js related changes. whatever changes I am making into react folder. it is not reflecting even after make is run followed by refreshing the page (with disabled cache)

@corby Thanks for your guidance throughout. One last question on this thread:

What is the use of webpack-dev-server ( for running make dev ) when it doesn’t pick the changes I made locally ? Why we need to setup the entire thing, change the path in configuration ?