Moderator controlling call quality

Hi. We’ve been using Jitsi hosted on Linode happily for a couple of months now and it’s amazing - thanks for all the hard work you all put in. :orange_heart:

However, when the quality became low a few times, I noticed that the moderator’s changing of the call quality in settings to “low” for example doesn’t appear to change it for participants.

Is this feature meant to be like this or is it a bug or an incorrect observation on my part? Every participant controls his own call quality or the moderator can control the whole meeting’s?

Is there a way to enable the moderator to control the whole meeting’s call quality when he changes the setting?

Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words!

This is per participant. Note they all may have different types of connections, so having a moderator decide is not really going to fix things in general.

There is currently no way to do this. I think you could maybe use the iframe API to accomplish this from an app which embeds Jitsi, but you need to build it aside Jitsi, we don’t provide an API for this.

Thanks for replying saghul. What about from the configuration files - is there anything there which I could edit to make the default call quality “low definition” when a participant joins?

Not at the moment, but I believe we have plans to add it in the future.

1 Like

You could set resolution constraints in your config.js, if you’re asking what I think you’re asking.

constraints: {
         video: {
             height: {
                 ideal: 180,
                 max: 180,
                 min: 180

Understand though that this forces LD resolution globally in your environment.

1 Like

Thanks for replying guys. So if I simply add the above code to end of this file:

/etc/jitsi/meet/meet.mydomain.com-config.js

it will default all users joining to broadcast LD video?

But they can still change it to SD by my moving the slider, right?

What about the presenter’s screen share broadcast - will this make it broadcast in LD also?

Thanks again.

You don’t need to add it, it’s already defined in your config.js; just uncomment the lines and specify the figures as shown.

Yes

No

No

1 Like

constraints: {
video: {
height: {
ideal: 360,
max: 480,
min: 240

Thanks. I set it like this - hope it’s going to be ok.