Mod_muc_size module problem in docker using lib-jitsi-meet

thanx a lot… I will give it a try :heart:

Hello,

Sorry for my noobness, I tried to add the port 5280, with and without removing the “expose” but docker-compose up -d prosody fails.
What do you have in your docker-compose.yml to get sessions/ ?
Please @Fuji

I get:
docker-compose up -d prosody
Creating jitsi4101-2_prosody_1 … error

ERROR: for jitsi4101-2_prosody_1  Cannot start service prosody: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint jitsi4101-2_prosody_1 (31d4826ad92314d8c01769c3111c0ae2c65ddfbfd4f4dcb1a4a94aba5214ab15): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:5280: bind: address already in use

ERROR: for prosody  Cannot start service prosody: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint jitsi4101-2_prosody_1 (31d4826ad92314d8c01769c3111c0ae2c65ddfbfd4f4dcb1a4a94aba5214ab15): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:5280: bind: address already in use
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

But I double checked, the prosody container was removed before running this docker-compose up

it said that the port 5280 is already in use… so may b u stopped the container bt something wrong happened or another service is occupying that port…so,

1. u can check by command “docker ps -a” and again check the status(up/down) for prosody container or other occupying that port.
  2. u can use following command to see detailed information of services running on ur ports and check whether another service is running on this port or the container didn’t stopped clearly.
$ sudo apt-get install net-tools
$ netstat -pnltu (for detailed information of all ports)
$ netstat -pnltu | grep -i "${port_number}" (to inspect specific port)
  1. u can then also use these following commands to kill the process running in specific port
$ apt-get install psmisc
$ sudo fuser -k ${port_number}/tcp
  1. now again try from start

I hope it will help and this is a common pb and I also faced it …so don’t worry…
if the pb persist may its because u did some changes in dockerfile/.yml file… undo the changes… are u new to docker ? I can also suggest u good tutorials then… but at first just do what is in the official jitsi docker instruction said…
In prosody dockerfile u must expose 5280
and I used new mod_muc_size module instead of their built in in prosody container so that I can update them…it is not related to .yml file…u have by default availability to query. bt at first u have to make it up and running and have to have understanding of docker.
Thanx

Thank you very much @Fuji!
I’m not new to docker but I understand my mistake: a prosody server was also running on my PC, AND it was not registered in /etc/services, so cat /etc/services | grep 5280 results nothing while netstat -a | grep 5280 exposed the port as listening, without more details.
I forgot about this install to better understand prosody.
Now I removed it, I can bind the port and access it.

BTW, for other visitors in the future, note that locally, you can also access sessions via docker network: http://172.18.0.2:5280/sessions, this IP might change each time to run prosody container.
At first, I thought this network was not accessible from the host and reserved internally for containers, but it looks it’s exposed.
Yours is too?

OK, now I have a broader question, I guess you or someone else can easily answer:
What Prosody MUC admins have to manage rooms, users, etc?
Isn’t there a panel in a Prosody client GUI (like Pidgin) or a webmin module, or something to tackle these dark settings?
That’s why I installed prosody in the first place, to see what tools, but I didn’t find any.

I know this question is naive and basically reinterpreting efforts to adapt muc_size, but frankly, I think there might be someone somewhere who thought of MUC admin while developing it for years.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey… how are u doing…
look, I am not so experienced and I am just here for few months starting from scratch… ur expectation is same like mine but the thing is this area is still evolving and the very deep basics of each components (prosody,video-bridge…) are not so documented well…the last book about prosody/webrtc is nearly 4-5 years ago and not up to date. but a experienced one,who are already familiar with these webrtc things for enough days are capable doing things with prosody anything they want… thats why jitsi team choose this component for their purpose.
If u wanna go deep may be u have to spend more time with searching right things… bcz I already did that and that was not so helpful… but for high level implementation u may not need that level of deep understanding and u can move on by learning what u need…
from my knowledge MUC admins roles are already implemented and there are many prosody modules out there by community like “mod_muc_size” for which u can query… but may b there is not GUI like things… but u can also write and use prosody modules with some good understanding of prosody.For usage,u may not need deep understanding…but for writing modules for ur own need,will need really good understanding… But I am far from that level I think…!! but I hope I will…!

@Fuji thanks!
Yeah, it looks like the experts are focused on their servers :slight_smile:
Well, if they contribute to the code and leave us, poor mortals, to the mundane mud of figuring and configuring the undocumented code, I’d say it’s fair in a sense.
Up to us to share and go forward.

1 Like