Mobile App Bandwidth Management

The Android and iOS apps seem to no longer follow the bandwidth constraints set in the config. I have added the following to a custom config.js in the docker deployment of Jisti meet.

maxBitratesVideo: {
          H264: {
              low: 200000,
              standard: 500000,
              high: 600000
          },
          VP8 : {
              low: 200000,
              standard: 400000,
              high: 600000
          },
          VP9: {
              low: 100000,
              standard: 300000,
              high:  500000
          }
    },

I then started a meeting with web clients and each web client used the expected bandwidth (either 500k or 600k). I then joined a single iOS or Android client to the meeting and that one client pushed between 1500k and 1700k, completely disregarding the bandwidth settings in the config. This is important to resolve for people joining over poor LTE service, or for larger meetings with many people.

1 Like

Bandwidth usage for mobile apps is not constrained by settings in config.js. If you want those constraints to apply on mobile devices, users will have to join through their mobile browsers.

Ok, thank you for the workaround. It sounds like that would probably work if I could get people to do it.

My challenge is that I am not able to control how people access my server. If even one person connects to a meeting with the mobile app, they’ll push 3x the bandwidth than what I have allowed in my config.js and it seems to foul everything up for anyone downstream with a slow connection. Is there any control over the mobile apps?

It’s hard-coded. If you’re building your own apps, I believe you should be able to make that change. You’d need to search through the code.

Understood. Building the apps is not something I see in my future.

Is there any chance that those settings could be configurable (not hard coded) in the mobile apps in the future? Or at a minimum, that we could at least have the hard-coded settings be different based on the efficiency of the video codec (i.e. less bandwidth needed for VP9)?

1 Like