Meet.jit.si server vs. host my own server

What are the limitations of using the web external_api.js api with the domain: meet.jit.si . Will I have lower meeting quality.

Please steer me toward documentation that explains when it makes sense to stop using the free server, meet.jit.si, and to host my own server.

If it’s better to host my own server, what’s the easiest/best-performing deployment: AWS EC2, kubernetes, something else?

When you set up your own server you are fully in control of configuring Jitsi. You decide which (prosody) modules to install, which colors and fonts are being used, how to use 3rd party integrations (like Google Analytics, Amplitude, Youtube and Outlook).
In relation to the GDPR (and in our case): by not installing the integrations we can tell our customers their data won’t be shared with Google, Microsoft and Facebook.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m curious what kink of self-hosted server would beat the performance/reliability of just using domain: meet.jit.si . I see bugs often using meet.jit.s

You’re right @roland1, it’s not easy to beat performance. If you hold the traffic on your server against Jitsi’s. But on their server there are a lot of “rooms” active, which can mean your server (mayber closer to the location of your customers) is faster in the end. And because your server has fewer users the stability can be better.
Besides that there is this privacy aspect. If you look in the source code you’ll see links to Google Analytics, Amplitude, Youtube and other 3rd parties. So data of your customers is shared with others, anonymous or not. If you disable the integrations on your server the data wont’ be shared. Not even with Jitsi.

3 Likes