Measuring Energy Consumption of Video Conferences

Dear Jitsi Community,

First of all thank you to all the contributors who are working to provide, probably one of the last video conference platforms, that can be run on own infrastructure and is not only available as-a-Service.

We are a non-profit organization, working on assembling all actors from the Digital Sector (data centers, software, virtualization, and many more) to create a Sustainable Digital Economy together. (sdialliance.org/roadmap)

An important piece of our work is to measure the carbon & resource intensity of digital software and technologies. We have performed various tests using Jitsi and it’s already incredible efficient.

Now we would like to compare our test data with real-life production data from Jitsi Installations that are out there. Hence I am reaching to the community on this Forum. What we are looking for is historic data (e.g. 1 week, month, year) of Jitsi usage statistics (users, sessions, bandwidth, etc.); together with the underlying server performance data or energy consumption data of the hardware.

The work will be made public across the world with credits for everyone who contributes. It’s important we can measure and understand the impact on the environment from servers, data centers, and software - not to crucify digital usage, but rather to address the issues and make the Digital Economy the pioneer of a environmentally-friendly, accessible, fair and open economy for other industries to learn from.

You can reach me: max.schulze@sdialliance.org if you want to help.

Thank you for reading this.

1 Like

Thanks @Max_Schulze . I was reading this comparison of energy consumption of different video conferencing systems from spring 2020, and was wondering if Jitsi is still cutting the edge in a negative sense. Reading your post, it looks like this would still be the case :frowning: