Maximum number of participants on a meeting on meet.jit.si server

Hello!

How can you make the users of a room have the camera and microphone seized by default?

gracias

Let us know if you found a good solution for this - sounds super interesting :slight_smile:

I have some follow-up questions too - you guys seem to know a lot. :slight_smile:

I’m looking for a solution to host a meeting with 500 participants in a month. (Posted a separate thread: Host a meeting with 500 people - ideas?)

One solution would be to livestream to YouTube. But it would be a bit cumbersome for people to enter the meeting temporary when they wish to speak. So I wonder if it would be at all possible to run a meeting with 500 people, with all but a few participants muted-and-without-video (the moderator using the “follow me”-function). Then people can un-mute (and activate their camera, if they have one) temporary, when they speak. That would greatly reduce the number of video/audio streams.

Did I understand you correctly, @damencho: The old JVB was one-JVB-per-conference, but JVB2 are “multi bridge” to balance the load? If running JVB2 on good hardware, would it be possible to host a meeting with “500 participant with all but a few muted-and-without-video”? Or would it still be way too many video streams? And require enormous hardware and bandwidth?

By the way: If we choose to livestream (with only 10-15 participants at any time in the actual meeting), would we still have to host Jitsi ourselves? I read that “secure rooms” isn’t possible on meet.jit.si.

By the way 2: An alternative is to use Zoom - with the “Large meeting” add-on a meeting can have 1000 participants. According to their webpage… But does it really work? I haven’t been able to find any reviews/comments from people that have hosted really big Zoom meetings. Do you have some input? (And there are of course the security issues with Zoom.)

I would be very grateful for some help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me share my experience of conducting large scale conferences and Webinars. We have been conducting Conferences to interact with our volunteers on the ground who are helping people during this Corona pandemic.
(Caution: Bear with me it’s a long post)

Last week we tested the platform with around 120 participants in a Video Conference and these are my observations

1. Server Configuration:
    VPS: 8 cores, 30 GB RAM, 600 Mbit/s

Observation 1: When the conference was launched, there were several people joining the room in quick succession and the loads did shoot-up temporarily and the conference got really noisy (volunteers operating on the ground), logging in from a plethora of devices). At one point I got the “Something went wrong - Reconnecting” message. I restarted the Videobridge, Prosody and Nginx and we were back. However, once all the participants were inside the room, the load stabilized (50% equally distributed over each of the 8 cores) and we had to request everybody, except the 5 presenters, to keep their videos off. There on the Conference went smoothly for an hour and a half without any issues with the the CPU loads consistently at 40-50%
Takeaways - Jitsi-Meet is heavy on the processor(quite naturally), but a lot better than most other platforms I have tested. The RAM usage is very low, about 4GB at most for 120 participants.
For around 30 participants with both their camera and microphone on, the Conference is very smooth.

Observation 2: Based on the previous experience, I moved to a Dedicated Server for the next Conference.

Server Configuration: Dual Intel Xeon 5150, 2.66Ghz - 2 processors, 4 Cores / 4 Threads
16 GB RAM, I Gigabit Ethernet.
Firstly, we configured the server to disable the camera and microphones for all participants on entry to the room. Only five presenters would enable the camera and microphone, while others would be muted. Despite several people joining the rooms in quick succession, the load on the server was minimal. As the Conference progressed, we would allow participants one by one, who had questions, to enable their camera and microphone, ask their questions and then disable it after asking the question. This way the Webinar went smoothly with over 120 participants. The load was equally distributed on each of the four cores and was less than 30% most of the times. The Bandwidth did shoot up at times, but the Gigabit Ethernet port held on. RAM usage was minuscule a 4GB atmost. I enjoyed the Webinar like never before. I conclude that Zoom is no match to Jitsi. Jitsi outperforms Zoom in every which way

Recommendations: As @damencho recommended, it is a good idea to stream to Youtube for very large audiences. The new Youtube Studio is very easy to use once you locate the right panels(takes little time to get used to their interface but is a breeze later).

I would also recommend using Rocketchat(which has Jitsi integrated) for taking questions. Participants can join a Private Channel where the Jitsi Conference room is created(Enable opening of Jitsi Meetings in new Window in Rocketchat settings as the UI is still not optimized). Questions can be posted by participants in the chatroom, polls can be conducted during the meeting and discussions can continue in Rocket chat while still participating in the Jitsi Conference on a different tab. Anybody needing help setting up Rocket Chat,I am more than willing to Help.

One issue which @damencho, @saghul and Team can refine is the Notification popups. For large meetings, the popups can be real irritating and especially when logging in from the Mobile browser.
Otherwise, Jitsi is the perfect platform for Video Conferences and Webinars.

31 Likes

@Daniel_Cano here’s the solution (Jitsi voice calls only) (server admin) How do I turn off video option for all users

2 Likes

I will share the options that I use that improve the end user experience.

To make the conference user-interface work with lower CPU usage and better audio quality I have disabled the blue “i am speaking” dots.
/etc/jitsi/meet/*-config.js
disableAudioLevels: true,

I agree, when I host yoga-classes I have simply disabled the popup messages when someone enters the room:
/usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js
DISABLE_JOIN_LEAVE_NOTIFICATIONS: true,

Further i have disabled most extra indicators that cause GUI re-layouts thus reduce CPU load on the client browsers
also set in the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js

DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND: true,
DISABLE_FOCUS_INDICATOR: true,
DISABLE_DOMINANT_SPEAKER_INDICATOR: true,
10 Likes

In this case I would rather instead try Mumble. You don’t have to use Jitsi on every occasion.

Create a main Wiki page, hosting several lounges (based on sections) with Mumble, invite main speakers to Jitsi Meet sessions and streaming them to participants. I guess this would be one of the practical solutions.

For me, hosting a voice only session on Jitsi does not really make sense. You have other proper options for that.

1 Like

Interesting.

This is on our shortlist, stay tuned!

4 Likes

Thank You Saghul. Every time I have aspired for some feature, I have noticed that Jitsi comes up with that feature in a couple of months. This is what makes me so inclined to Jitsi.

4 Likes

How would it be difficult to create a bash script to replace these settings?

I am thinking something like:

sed -f replace.txt /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js

where replace.txt is:

s/DISABLE_JOIN_LEAVE_NOTIFICATIONS: true/DISABLE_JOIN_LEAVE_NOTIFICATIONS: false/
s/SET_FILMSTRIP_ENABLED: true/SET_FILMSTRIP_ENABLED: false/
s/DISABLE_FOCUS_INDICATOR: false/DISABLE_FOCUS_INDICATOR: true/
s/DISABLE_DOMINANT_SPEAKER_INDICATOR: false/DISABLE_DOMINANT_SPEAKER_INDICATOR: true/
s/DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND: false/DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND: true/

assuming they are not commented out.

I noticed that 28% of CPU was consumed by the video background for one user, thus to reduce CPU usage edit the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.js and set
DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND: true,

2 Likes

I would like to open a new thread to discuss the way of improving performance on clients, citing your posts here. Is it ok for you?

Opened here: Reducing resource usage to improve performance (both client-side and server-side)

3 Likes

You are welcome to open as many threads as you like!

2 Likes

What if a jitsi instance is set up in a corporation and the meeting could not be made available on youtube for many considerations ? Is it possible to live stream to private instances of other video platforms like the open source peertube, YouPHPTube, Emby ?

1 Like

Hello,
Is the limitation of 75 a hard limit on per conference basis or a limit on per server instance ?

1 Like

Per conference.

Yes, with small modifications in jibri you can do it.

3 Likes

Thank you @damencho

Did you solved the problem?

Do i need to increase this value? I am quite confused. I tried two times getting more than 20 people, and it was quite impossible. Also on a 8Core machine with 64GB.

For anyone interested, I posted some results on an experiment for 50 participants in one conference (room) at the same time in this thread:

Final test was on a AWS c5n.9xlarge instance (36vCPU, 96GB RAM, 50 Gbps Network). Test was unsuccessful.
I guess as @damecho has stated, ~35 participants is the best it gets in a single room until new features are released.

3 Likes