Maximum number of participants on a meeting on meet.jit.si server

below are my setup,

a) jvb2 + octo
b) 1 x jicofo on AWS EC2 c5n.9xlarge (vCPU: 36, Memory: 96GB, network: 50Gbps)
b) 5 x bridge server on AWS EC2 c5n.9xlarge (vCPU: 36, Memory: 96GB, network: 50Gbps)
c) simulcast: ON, ChannelLastN: 10, disableAudioLevels: True, DISABLE_VIDEO_BACKGROUND: true, enableLayerSuspension: true

The octo is working perfectly and distributed participants evenly across 5 bridge servers. however, when more than 230 participants come into single conference then it become unstable. some participants will be kicked out, and some can’t hear/see screen sharing. based on my observation the bottleneck is not at server backend, but the front-end browser cannot cope with the streams forwarding.

seem like the breakpoint is between 230 ~ 240 participants / conference. 1 more observation, when there is more than 4 participants with video ON or screen sharing then CPU fan will spin like crazy.

10 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the report @wiserly
One question. When you say your setup can handle up to 230 participants, is that with everyone having their mic and camera on?

nope. 90% of the participants were muted (mic & video).

2 Likes

Thanks. I figured as much.
I wonder what’s the realistic maximum anyone has achieved with mic and cam on for everyone?

Hi @wiserly, are you using octo setup with split_bridge strategy? What video resolution are you using, HD 720?

Thank you,

Milan

Hi @Peter_Villeneuve, this is more WebRTC limitation than Jitsi SW thing. Based on my experience is 25-30 video+audio participants maximum in one room, with performance tweak applied to lower stress on clients computers.

Milan

i configured as SplitBridgeSelectionStrategy. 320p for video

@wiserly, thank you. Do you know what was reported system load on JVBs during this 230 participants conference? Was logging on JVBs disabled?

Milan

average CPU: 3%, memory usage: 6%. jitter: <30ms, RTT <100ms

i am quite certain the bottleneck is at the end-point.

Yes I know, I agree with you. Had you increased max. thread number in nginx config? 768 is not enough for such a large participants number. Maximum video streams handled by one JVB was over 6k on our system.

1 Like

yes, i have max up the backend config. Definitely backend can host more participants with current specs

1 Like

Hi Awesome @migo,

Interesting you have 6000 stream in a single JVB. May we know what machine specification for Jitsi meet, JVB2 quantity and its machine specification you have done? We also love to know what tweak you have done in Config.js and interface_config.js, other than:

set resolution: 480 , ideal: 480, max: 480 , disableH264: true, channelLastN: 4, startVideoMuted: 4 , startAudioMuted: 4 and startWithVideoMuted: true …etc :slight_smile:

We might need to add this tweak too, May we know how and where should we tune this in Nginx? (super newbie).

Do you use Autoscale such Serverless or Kubernetes or else for JVB?

How you scaling up Jibri’s ?

Thank you

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! :+1:

Milan

Hi @Janto, this was only for test purposes, system was overloaded during that test, here are more details:

Edit nginx.conf file with: worker_connections 20000; in events section.

I’ve only 2 JVBs on bare metal servers now with octo and split_bridge strategy for load balance, so no auto scaling here.

Our jibri setup is on based on 10 KVM VMs running on our VM server without auto scaling too.

Now is only low-moderate load on our servers and this setup is more than enough.

Here video streams graph with 6k max.:

Milan

2 Likes

Is the limit still 75, if there is one user with Audio/Video, while rest of the viewers joined as muted (both audio/video) ?

1 Like

@srinivas I am intrigued by your setup. It will be great help if you can you share the entire setup/landscape

@richardberry The share youtube video feature does not work consistently with mobile devices. In my experience with iOS devices nothing is shared at all, they continue to just see the camera. Works great on computers, though I haven’t tried it with a large group. Some say that it sometimes works occasionally on Android but not consistently. So while I love the share YouTube feature, it needs to work better before being useful if mobile devices are on the call. Here is a link to others discussing this issue: Sharing YouTube Video for Mobile Devices

@damencho
please i need to know ,per 100 simultaneous-users exactly how much configuration i will need (proc,ram,debit,hard disc…)

i have installed jitsi in virtual machine.
thnxxx.

Hi everybody,

@damencho I would like to use jitis and integrate it onto my website using my own server.

I would like to know is it possible with the current jitis jvb2 is it possible to run 1000s of video conferences simultaneous with each conference limited to maximum of 10 participant.

Can someone point me to the right direction for the server set up to able to support this volume of video conference would be much appreciated. My current server set up is VM 8 core, 16 gb, storage is 375 gb

Thank you.

I would like to use jitis and integrate it onto my website using my own server.

I would like to know is it possible with the current jitis jvb2 is it possible to run 500s of video conferences simultaneously with each conference limited to a maximum of 10 participants.

Can someone help me with the server set up to able to support this volume of video conference would be much appreciated. My current server set up is dedicated server 4 core,16 GB DDR4 RAM ECC, Intel® Xeon® E3-1230 v6, Storage is 1000 GB

Thank you.