Maximum number of participants on a meeting on meet.jit.si server

In my school we are thinking to organize a remote meeting with all 200 teachers.
I read that Jitsi itself can stand a meeting of 1000 users with a 500Mbps line.
I Looked for the specifications of the meet.jit.si server to verify if we can use it for the meeting but found nothing.
Anyone can tell me if we can use that server to do the meeting or if there is a better one (free) for this event?

4 Likes

Hi! I have the same question. Please, if you just now have de answered please shared to me: manuleiton@hotmail.com

Thanks!!

Regards.

From Argentina,

Manuel.

1 Like

Currently you cannot create a meeting with 200 people. We have a hard limit of 75 participants, but even more than 35, the experience will suffer. But we are working on adding big meetings with more participants (more than 100).
For such big audiences we recommend livestreaming the meeting and let the rest of the participants watch it on youtube where you can have even millions participants.

10 Likes

Thank you for this information. It’s a bit confusing since the first thing you see at jitsi.org is “massively multiuser” and “amazing, between two people or 200”.

What’s the bottleneck at 35 participants? Is it a problem in the Jitsi software? Server CPU power? Network bandwidth?

Would it help if all of the participants had a fast network so the load will be shared peer-to-peer? Or does Jitsi route all traffic through one central server?

If it’s a hardware issue with the meet.jit.si server specifically, then would 200 teachers simultaneously be plausible if the school ran their own Jitsi server?

What if all the teachers started out with camera and mic muted?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again!

6 Likes

You can reach millions of users, big audiences are supported by using livestreaming.
The problem with big conferences is distributing the load between multiple servers, just one cannot cope and we are working in that direction and I hope very soon we will have something that can be tested and used on meet.jit.si. Another issue we have seen is the UI which is not optimized for so many participants, another thing we are actively working on bring it to a state where it can be used for more than a hundred participants.

5 Likes

Thanks! So for now the answer is use Jitsi for the people who will be talking (<35) and then click the Livestream button so everyone else can watch on YouTube, right?

3 Likes

That is the best approach to give you smooth experience, yes.

3 Likes

Hi, I have a followup question on this topic. So I understand that there is a hard limit of 75 participants per room, and a “soft” limit of 35 for a good user experience. I’m guessing that this limit is due to network requirements. What if all sessions were audio only, could we reach 50 participants? Would it help if most people are muted? Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

You can try, we see such conferences.

2 Likes

I had such an experience yesterday.

I tried my first e-lecture for a university course. 70+ students participated (I was not aware of the hard limit). Myself speaking on a mic and the lecture presentation shared on the screen. Video had a terrible performance; usually frozen or not working at all. 45% of students reported they could not read the presentation content (I later gave them a questionnaire to fill). I found a quick way out of it. I uploaded my presentation as html on a webpage and everyone read the presentation content from there. Everyone had their video turned off & almost everyone muted their audio. Connectivity was also an issue; many students reported frequent disconnects. I did not want to use youtube streaming, because the course is offered to a specific audience.

The strong advantage of the platform was audio. It had stable, strong performance all the time. 87% reported the audio was satisfying. It was importand for me, because I wanted students to listen to recorded audio examples (the course was on history of music). Other platforms I have tried, compress audio so hard, that it is not possible to listen the subtle details of a good recording.

Although I was able to complete the lecture, I was not happy with the overall result. I will not use it for this purpose again, until I solve the video/connectivity issues.

I have already installed the jitsi-meet package in a linux VPS and will try to test it in different configurations. Any suggestion/advice will be greatly appreciated.

best regards

4 Likes

A big conference with 70 participants is hard to host. We are working towards removing this barrier and create conferences with more than 100 participants. It needs few tweaks and multiple bridges to spread the load. This is something we want to achieve and we are very close to it with releasing jvb2.

8 Likes

I got LiveStreaming to YouTube working, but it was a bit of a pain. I couldn’t find the YouTube API key until I went to the old, unsupported, about-to-go-away-forever interface. Is this something that will be easier in the future?

It’s very interesting to me that 70+ people worked at all. Good job thinking on the fly and uploading the presentation as a web-page. In my experience screen sharing works great when the other people have desktop or laptop computers, but it is illegible on the phone app.

Are you avoiding YouTube streaming because of compression problems with the audio? I just connected Jitsi with YouTube and I think I saw a setting which causes more lag but gives better quality.

1 Like

To make screensharing easy to read, resize the window you’re sharing. It’s like a zoom function.

1 Like

My concern is having security over quality.
youtube stream is not private (I think); jitsi session had a password,
so only students knowing the password could attend.

best regards

2 Likes

I think its an interesting approach to stream to a larger audience.
is it possible to configure YOUTUBE_URL in jibri to use a custom rtmp server like a selfhosted nginx-rtmp?

1 Like

YouTube can be semi-private if you want it to. Change the default permissions from public to unlisted. That means only people who have the URL that you give them will be able to see it.

4 Likes

That is a good idea. Thanks.

So how many people are possible? Through a program for university video lectures

You can enable the google integration, check it on meet.jit.si (not fully working as we are over the quota and waiting for Google update), but you will be able to choose channel and stuff and you do not need the key actually.

1 Like