Manual Install Question

Hello all,

I am doing a manual install. I am configuring Prosody and just want to check something.

The guide says “Add config file in `/etc/prosody/conf.avail/jitsi.example.com.cfg.lua”

So normally when I find example.com I replace that with my FQDN and comparing to my quick install of Jitsi I can see I have a file etc/prosody/conf.avail/jitsi.mydomain.com.cfg.lua

I went ahead and created a new file using mydomain.com instead of example.com

I created a symlink and checked that worked which it did, but when I went to generate certs I get:

A problem occurred while reading the config file /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua

Error: Error loading included /etc/prosody/conf.d/jitsi.example.com.cfg.lua: /etc/prosody/conf.d/jitsi.example.com.cfg.lua: No such file or directory

So, am I confused and I should actually just be editing the example.com config file? Or was I right to create a new config file for my host?

Thank you!

CRN.

What I find confusing is your wording ‘I created a symlink’; if you are creating a ‘new’ file why are you creating a symlink ? you say that you have a ‘quick install’ jitsi; is it on a different computer, or are you really trying to create a parallel install on the same computer where you used quick install ?

Hi gpatel-fr,

Regarding the symlink and for the sake of clarity I am following the instructions for manual install on Github and it says to create a symlink. I did that, then check it, and it did what it was supposed to. I am a layman on here trying to learn so apologies if I get terminology wrong.

I am installing on a new server running Debian 10. I also have a quick install on another server running Ubuntu. I am using the quick install as a point of reference that’s all. I have run the quick install a few times to understand as best I can what I was doing, but now I am experimenting with manual install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

CRN.

There should never be example.com, anywhere, unless that is in fact your fqdn.

Replace example.com with your fqdn, in file names, links, and also content.

Also you might compare your manual install with quick install machine. That way, you can find if there’s any difference.

For example, go to /etc/prosody/conf.d on quick install server
ls -lrt (note the symbolic links)

Now goto manual server and see if you have similar links.

And btw manual install is not recommended, the page says.

Hi Prashanth,

Thanks for replies. That is what I thought, and yes I had seen it was not recommended, but that’s never stopped me in other areas of life and I turned out kinda ok :wink:

Is there anything stopping me from just copying config files from my quick install and changing the domains etc accordingly?

Is there anything that would be done differently because it is a manual vs quick install or ultimately are they both configured the same?

Best,

CRN.

They should be same. But I have not done manual install.

You may simply compare /etc/jitsi, /etc/prosody(quick vs manual) using recursive diff to find out if they are same.

About copying, if you know all the files that needs to be copied, I think it should work.

On a different note, if you want to do this to save time, may I suggest you try installing with a script.

One thing, as it says on manual page, it might not be updated always. So that’s one reason to not rely on it.

Would a script allow me access to the source files in their original format so I can make modifications such as changing button functionality? So far I have used css to change the button labels but it’s not ideal and there are some other things I’d like to customise.

I have been told I need to do a manual install for this, but if you have another option I would be very happy to hear this :slight_smile:

Best,

CRN.

You may try installing with this script, which is simply steps from quick instal. GitHub - pregalla/jitsi: Installer for Jitsi, Jigasi, and Jibri

Once installed, you can make extra modifications that you need. Give it a try and see if it is easier.

Strike that, now I know what you are trying to do, css changes. No those cannot be done when you choose to install via script, as it is quick install.

Hi Prashanth,

Ok I understand, so back to manual install for me then.

Thanks for your help.

CRN.

right, I have looked at your post too fast, I should have given more thought to what you said.
I think that in this manual install it’s assumed that you are launching prosodyctl as root, did you do so ?

Check the link that is on the bottom of the page.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies. I have made some progress with the manual install but I am making a mistake somewhere, so back to the start for me. I usually get these things the 2nd or 3rd time through :slight_smile:

@damencho That link was very useful. Thank you!

Don’t most of us? It is rare to understand fully the first time through.