Make Jitsi more accessible for everybody

Dear Jitsi developpers community,

I love using Jitsi, but as a person with multiple disabilities I would like to use a more accessible Jitsi. For this purpose, I am writing here a list of features I would love to see implemented:

• Make the “raise hand” picto larger (ideally the size of the screen corresponding to a person)
  • Add new pictos, e.g. I agree / I disagree with what is said
  • Automatically mark a person as a moderator/animator of the Jitsi discussion if there are three or more people.
  • Make this role impermanent, the modreator changes every 20 minutes or less (if the person do not want to moderate). The role follows the alphabetical order of pseudonyms.

I am willing to compensate the developer implementing these upgrades. Do not hesitate if you have questions regarding these upgrades. If you are interested please PM me for further discussions.
Best regards,
Romain

1 Like

We haven’t found that a problem and design team had never rise that as a problem. But having the rise hand icon as big as the thumbnail will look weird and I would even say ugly … sorry for the strong words.
I was thinking about the same, and as rise hand is tide to the speaker stats and we also see statuses in speaker stats, I would say rise hand indication there will be nice.

I don’t get this behaviour. I think this serves some rare corner case of using the platform and I think, changes like that should be custom for the purpose of those.
Currently if you go to meet.jit.si all participants are moderators. We are working on adding a single or let’s say a controlled number of moderators, which is something we heard from the community. And adding that for anonymous and stateless environment as meet.jit.si is hard.

On the other hand on environment where authentication is available that is easy authenticated participants are moderators and guests are just guests. But having that role being random and change overtime is strange … so that can be easily done with a custom prosody module.

Thank you for the answer!

We haven’t found that a problem and design team had never rise that as a problem. But having the rise hand icon as big as the thumbnail will look weird and I would even say ugly … sorry for the strong words.

I understand that you use “small” icons for the default mode. I don’t suggest to change this mode, but that the user has the possibility to modify the size of the icon to make Jitsi more accessible for visually impaired people. I was talking about the speaker stats icon (sorry was not clear) as there is already a nice shortcut for raise hand ®.

You have not commented on adding other buttons for non-verbal communication. We are extensively using this mode of communication in the political group I belong to (also used extensively in “occupy wall street” and “Nuit debout”).

But having that role being random and change overtime is strange … so that can be easily done with a custom prosody module.

My point with this thread is not to convince that these are efficient tools (non-verbal / turning moderation), but to hire a developer to write this module. I am able to pay them in cryptos for their services.

So this is the wrong category then. I will move it to the correct one, under paid-work