Loss of participants, video and sounds crashs when 12+ attendees

I’ve got the same problem, but it’s difficult to create a new meeting name, is there another way to resolve the problem?

same for me, how did you resolve?

I am facing exactly same problem. I tried to change setting any possible ways but can’t solve problem.

I got the same problem last week: 3 users, and only 2 were able to have a good connection.

were using our smartphones: androids and ios.

Alessandra,

I have not received a response from the Jitsi Community Forum since I last posted my issue … however, I have drawn certain conclusions based on my admittedly limited experience with video conferencing. On the advise of a friend, I began experimenting with video conferencing by testing Google Meet. Despite Google’s broad presence and deep pockets, various software anomalies caused me to search for a better solution. I have used a variety of unrelated “Open Source” software applications (Libre Office and GIMP for example) and have found them to be comprehensive, well designed, reliable - and perhaps best of all - economical! Regarding Jitsi, I believe it is well designed, comprehensive (or at least extensible), and perhaps reliable/stable if hosted on one’s own server. Given the current large number of people working from home, I suspect that the overall increased web traffic (particularly during normal business hours) coupled with the general lack of technical expertise among the general population to install Jitsi on a dedicated server has resulted in a crippling demand being placed on Jitsi’s public-use website (meet.jit.si). Please forgive me the above, long historical explanation but apologetically will help explain the resolution to my Jitsi problem - Zoom. As a participant (not a host or admin) I had used Zoom in the past and found it both stable and feature-rich, albeit more expensive than the previous two mentioned applications. Despite the financial consideration, my current video-conferencing need is immediate, my limited time discourages me from doing my own Jitsi server installation/maintenance, and system stability is essential (throughout these several trials, the frustration level of my not-so-tech-saavy meeting participants is spreading faster than COVID-19). I have no financial interest in Zoom (beyond my modest monthly subscription fee) but would recommend it for your consideration - as it is used and endorsed by some fairly credible world business leaders including those from 20th Century Fox, A-B Inbev, and Uber to name a few.

Best wishes as you work to resolve your own video-conferencing solution. Sorry that for the time being I cannot offer a workable solution to using Jitsi (short of installation on your own dedicated server - and that not being without its own set of issues). I believe that the Jitsi team has done a praise-worthy job in creating their open source video-conferencing application, but have not been able (financially, or otherwise) to scale their deployment so as to satisfy the extreme demands presented us by the circumstance of coronavirus and social distancing.

If you have any further questions, concerns, suggestions or recommendations, I remain iterested and will be happy to share with you my ongoing thoughts and experiences as I continue my exploration.

Kindest regards,

Honestly, I could not agree with you more on these two points.

For non-tech savvy people around me who use Gmail, iCloud or Dropbox daily (and of course macOS or Windows instead of Linux distros), the most important (and often the only) stuff that matters is if it works stably under any conditions, with any devices. On this point other big guys like Zoom is doing a quite job, and the competition will be much more intense.

I see that the quick install manual on jitsi-meet repo on GitHub (and the great manual on DigitalOcean) works, still Jitsi Meet requires some tuning to run smoothly. The documentation for tuning is not put together on jitsi-meet/doc at master · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub and scattered everywhere on this forum. (CC @xranby would you help me there to create a new documentation?)

I expect however that VPS providers would provide a script or service to set up Jitsi and scale it up on demand, and the implementation should be easier then.

I will not work on documentation, because such a documents are quickly outdated, the tricks discussed on the forum are mitigated by updated software that fix the underlying issues. The discussions also updates the default settings that remove the need to tweak settings. For example, during the last week people on the forum profiled the videobridge server and today the default configuration is updated to remove excess logging.

The issue discussed in this thread is tricky and needs triage.

2 Likes

I wish these fixes would include a link as a source if they were based on the series of discussions on the forum… :slight_smile:

Please help triage this, what webbrowsers and os was the three participants using, when video and mic stopped using meet.jit.si

1 Like

Had another team meeting today, same as was previously having issues, and everything worked great. Not sure what changed in the last week, but it’s working now.

Same issue and Im running my own dedicated instance from the docker of jitsi meet.
“When 3rd participant joins session, audio/video disabled for 1st, 2nd participants.”
Also noticed while testing on meet.jit.si

It’s pretty frustrating after all of our efforts to get it working.

Any fix?

User 1: Chrome
User 2: Chrome (incognito)
User 3: Android (Chrome)

@damencho is there a solution or is this being worked? Its seems like an old issue but pretty big,

This is a config problem. Either jvb is not reporting its correct public address, or the port forwarding from that public address to the jvb of port udp 10000 does not work.

Considering this also happen on meet.jit.si
Is this something we can expect a fix for or will it remain a known issue?
If it’s to be a known issue, I’ll have to use something like mediasoup as it supports group chat.

So, usually the easy way to know something is not a bug but a misconfiguration or wrong implementation on one’s part is to note that other people are not reporting the same problem, that other people are using or implementing the same thing successfully. Thousands of people from all over the world jump on Jitsi daily to host meetings without encountering any problems. That should be proof that the issue you’re experiencing is something unique to your environment/deployment.

If you’re also experiencing this issue on meet.jit.si, perhaps check your firewall settings to make sure something is not blocking a needed port. Are you behind a VPN? That could also be an issue. Point is, this is a “you” issue, not a “Jitsi” issue per say. And I’m pretty certain if you try any other webRTC solution, you’ll experience the same issue(s).

@Freddie in response to your first paragraph: Scroll up, for other people with the same issue.

As for the second, if this is to be a solution to compete with Zoom (which doesn’t have these problems), it needs to work accordingly. I’ve confirmed with Zoom, mediasoup, teams, etc… and have never seen this issue. Asking an end user to disable firewall, vpn, etc. is highly unrealistic in the market.

Do not respond unless you have a solution or helpful test. I have interest in back and forth in this tone

@angrycoder your name is quite befitting, that much I’ll give you.

You’re referencing a post from almost a year ago and making unsubstantiated generalized claims. When I see people go on a tangential rant like you, I almost feel like I need to go back and re-read the TOS to check if perhaps there’s a line in there somewhere that compels people to keep using this product if they’re unhappy with it. Your posts (and not just this one) point to misconfigurations, but you won’t take a moment to consider that perhaps it’s something you’re doing wrong. Even when it was pointed out to you that it’s likely something you configured incorrectly, you doubled down, misrepresenting it as “a known issue” and threatening(?) to go use some other product. I really don’t even understand the need for the announcement; you don’t have a contract at risk of violation, just use what works for you.

I’ve been on this forum for a while and I’ve checked out a gazillion posts here. Not ONE TIME have I read a post - whether here, or in fact, anywhere else online - where the developers of Jitsi have marketed it as “a solution to compete with Zoom”. Anyone that has even the most basic understanding of videoconferencing understands that these two products operate on different technologies and hence will face different challenges. But no, not you, you’re too “angry” and entitled to take a minute to research.

So yeah, if you can’t take the time to research and listen when advised, DO NOT POST! Because these baseless rants just spam the forum. And nobody has time for that.

lol by your whining, I’d say your profile pic is rather fitting :wink:

Any hew the adults are speaking please settle down.

If anyone has experienced this issue and can provide steps to fix it, in any of the packages needed. Please let me know.

As stated I’ve tried on meet.jit.si like those above. If it’s not an issue in my implementation, maybe it’s a version, known, or unknown issue.

If it’s not supposed to be used for group or that’s not ready, let me know as well. Thanks.

LOL… the adults were speaking before you stepped in. And then you took the conversation to an unimaginable low. Clap for yourself, toddler! :joy:

@angrycoder post the results from https://test.webrtc.org/
Are you testing with chrome or firefox? Did you try both? Maybe an extension or firewall is blocking access, if that is the case, there is nothing we can do about it.

Using Chrome. I’ll try with Firefox and update soon.

How do other WebRTCs over come this? It has never been an issue before? Should I maybe reload the browser when a person joins?