Loss of participants, video and sounds crashs when 12+ attendees

Dear community,
I’ve organized a video call for some colleagues to discuss a work project. We expected to be ~ 16.
It was fine at the beginning but lost of participants explained that they had troubles with sounds, or video, and it get worst and we tried to use a shared screen …
I don’t have the right nor the access to a server, so I can’t install my own server to use jitsi.

I’ve been selling meet.jit.si to use as the best alternative to Zoom, but Zoom seems really better (even with a free account) to handle bandwith requirement, and even those with low/bad connection can ear/see everyone with a 16+ meeting.

do you know if something has to be set to improve the quality of the meeting.

Thanks for any feedback!

Guillaume

2 Likes

Hi, im facing the same problem today… im using buddymeet in my site to connect jitsi with wordpress…before this jitsi working really great…but today like always i trying to have my online classroom, connect 2 people its okay…then come 3rd person to my class all the video/audio from the 2 people is lost…

The 3rd person is left seeing nothing on screen but the video of himself… When the 3rd person left the conference…all resume back again…

Anybody got this problem also?

3 Likes

Forgot to mention, also use meet.jit.si and saw the same problem :pensive: . Any help ?

Same problem today using public online service at https://meet.jit.si. When 3rd participant joins session, audio/video disabled for 1st, 2nd participants.

2 Likes

last week meet.jit.si was using a configuration to disable H264 codec.
disableH264: true,
when checking the https://meet.jit.si/config.js configuration today i notice that it H264 is only disabled for p2p but implicit enabled when using 3+ party using videobridge.

H264 are known to cause issues when a firefox user join a meeting with chrome on mac users. By keeping disableH264: true, mac users are ok.

My suggestion is that the meet.jit.si team should keep on using the
disableH264: true,
configuration option.

I’ve been experiencing the same today. I had a very successful Jitsi group on Friday with 8 participants and zero issues. But today with 6 participants we had major issues with video dropping out.

One notable difference was that we were routed to eu-west-2 (London) on Friday and to eu-west-3 (Paris) today. I wonder if there is some configuration difference in eu-west-3?

Is there an official recommendation for max participants for a Jitsi chat, we would like to use it for a public event of potentially 20-30 people but I’m not sure if this is recommended or not?

Any luck meet.jit.si tean fix this?

you are expected to be patient… it’s just a day since the first post…

1 Like

Interesting lead.
All of us are working using windows computers (our tech team does not allow linux nor mac), but some of us are using Firefox, other are using Chrome. I was using the 8x8app as I set up a free account to use more easily some rooms.

it could be nice indeed if this H264 options could be disabled for every users.

Crossing fingers it will be fixed soon.

Yes, my work group is experiencing the same issue. Once more than two people join the meeing on meet.jit.si, no one can talk or share video. You only see your own video. We’ve noticed that this only occurs with old meeting names though. Using a randomly generated new meeting name by /jitsi in Slack seems to work.

@saghul @damencho would you investigate this issue please?

1 Like

Interestingly, I went on a video call yesterday using meet.jit.si, 7 participants and we could share a screen. participants were using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to access the meeting.
so perhaps, a mix of browser version + number of participants.

Is it possible to change the setting using meet.jist.si room (or 8x8app room) ?

Thanks.

I’ve got the same problem, how did you resolve?

I’ve got the same problem, but it’s difficult to create a new meeting name, is there another way to resolve the problem?

same for me, how did you resolve?

I am facing exactly same problem. I tried to change setting any possible ways but can’t solve problem.

I got the same problem last week: 3 users, and only 2 were able to have a good connection.

were using our smartphones: androids and ios.

Alessandra,

I have not received a response from the Jitsi Community Forum since I last posted my issue … however, I have drawn certain conclusions based on my admittedly limited experience with video conferencing. On the advise of a friend, I began experimenting with video conferencing by testing Google Meet. Despite Google’s broad presence and deep pockets, various software anomalies caused me to search for a better solution. I have used a variety of unrelated “Open Source” software applications (Libre Office and GIMP for example) and have found them to be comprehensive, well designed, reliable - and perhaps best of all - economical! Regarding Jitsi, I believe it is well designed, comprehensive (or at least extensible), and perhaps reliable/stable if hosted on one’s own server. Given the current large number of people working from home, I suspect that the overall increased web traffic (particularly during normal business hours) coupled with the general lack of technical expertise among the general population to install Jitsi on a dedicated server has resulted in a crippling demand being placed on Jitsi’s public-use website (meet.jit.si). Please forgive me the above, long historical explanation but apologetically will help explain the resolution to my Jitsi problem - Zoom. As a participant (not a host or admin) I had used Zoom in the past and found it both stable and feature-rich, albeit more expensive than the previous two mentioned applications. Despite the financial consideration, my current video-conferencing need is immediate, my limited time discourages me from doing my own Jitsi server installation/maintenance, and system stability is essential (throughout these several trials, the frustration level of my not-so-tech-saavy meeting participants is spreading faster than COVID-19). I have no financial interest in Zoom (beyond my modest monthly subscription fee) but would recommend it for your consideration - as it is used and endorsed by some fairly credible world business leaders including those from 20th Century Fox, A-B Inbev, and Uber to name a few.

Best wishes as you work to resolve your own video-conferencing solution. Sorry that for the time being I cannot offer a workable solution to using Jitsi (short of installation on your own dedicated server - and that not being without its own set of issues). I believe that the Jitsi team has done a praise-worthy job in creating their open source video-conferencing application, but have not been able (financially, or otherwise) to scale their deployment so as to satisfy the extreme demands presented us by the circumstance of coronavirus and social distancing.

If you have any further questions, concerns, suggestions or recommendations, I remain iterested and will be happy to share with you my ongoing thoughts and experiences as I continue my exploration.

Kindest regards,

Honestly, I could not agree with you more on these two points.

For non-tech savvy people around me who use Gmail, iCloud or Dropbox daily (and of course macOS or Windows instead of Linux distros), the most important (and often the only) stuff that matters is if it works stably under any conditions, with any devices. On this point other big guys like Zoom is doing a quite job, and the competition will be much more intense.

I see that the quick install manual on jitsi-meet repo on GitHub (and the great manual on DigitalOcean) works, still Jitsi Meet requires some tuning to run smoothly. The documentation for tuning is not put together on jitsi-meet/doc at master · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub and scattered everywhere on this forum. (CC @xranby would you help me there to create a new documentation?)

I expect however that VPS providers would provide a script or service to set up Jitsi and scale it up on demand, and the implementation should be easier then.

I will not work on documentation, because such a documents are quickly outdated, the tricks discussed on the forum are mitigated by updated software that fix the underlying issues. The discussions also updates the default settings that remove the need to tweak settings. For example, during the last week people on the forum profiled the videobridge server and today the default configuration is updated to remove excess logging.

The issue discussed in this thread is tricky and needs triage.

2 Likes