Libjitsimeet chrome <-> firefox poor quality

Hi all,

I encountered some strange beaviour on an 1:1 conference (p2p) using libjitsimeet in an angular project: the remote video stream quality in FF (60ESR as well as 68ESR) is obviously worse when doing a connection with one chrome an one firefox client but the quality in chrome is fine. Chrome <-> Chrome as well works like a charm and the quality is high as expected (suitable to the constraints). We got some reports that FF to FF works fine as well.
Any idea what could trigger this effect?

Greetings,
Matthias

Can you check the received resolutions in different scenarios. As I remember correctly there is no P2P connection when FF is involved in the call, the call goes always through jvb. And as chrome sends simulcast, maybe the wrong resolution is sent to FF … just guessing.

Hi damencho and thanks for your answer.

Sorry for the late answer - had to focus on another project in the last month.
I think I found the problem: pinParticipant() & selectParticipant() (btw: any hint on what’s the difference?)w as not called and therefore jvb did only send a “thumbnail” stream. Indeed using chrome only delivered a high quality stream without calling these functions… strange

Oh, that’s a known issue (failure to send an initial select in a 1-1 call via the bridge), but it has been low prio. I didn’t realize it was actually affecting anyone, because 1-1 calls are usually p2p and it doesn’t happen. But with firefox it does happen. A workaround is to click on the local thumbnail, then click on it again.

Boris

Ah, thanks for the hint… good to know :slight_smile: We are doing an own implementation with libjitsimeet, so our workaround was just to call the two methods (pinParticipant & selectParticipant) after the first participant joined the room/conference.