Latest unstable JVB2 is broken with three more participants

Hi,

I followed the quick install steps as below to install unstable latest JVB.

1. root@pr-meet-as-a-001:~# more /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-unstable.list

deb https://download.jitsi.org unstable/

1. apt-get update

2. apt-get -y install jitsi-meet

After this step, meeting with two participants is good. But after third participant joins, the video of second/third participant are gone, and there is no audio.

1. Then I tried the following steps to upgrade to latest JVB and hoped it would solve the issue.

apt-get remove jitsi-meet
apt-get install jitsi-videobridge2

1. After the above steps, the problem is still there.

2020-03-25T18:23:10.650Z [modules/version/ComponentsVersions.js] Got xmpp version: Prosody(0.9.10,Linux)
Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:23:10.650Z [modules/version/ComponentsVersions.js] Got focus version: JiCoFo(1.0.537,Linux)
Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:23:10.650Z [modules/version/ComponentsVersions.js] Got videobridge version: 2.1.150-g73dbde20

Any ideas?

You can see above behaviour at https://meet.555.comcast.com, we want to offload some traffic from meet.jit.si :slight_smile:

/Kaiduan

Failure when a third participant joins usually means Jicofo isn’t seeing the JVB (do you see ‘videbridge not available’ in the client console?). Can you attach Jicofo and JVB logs?

I saw a lot of error below,

Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:42:41.608Z [JitsiConference.js] <e.sendMessage>: Failed to send E2E ping request or response. undefined
o @ md5.js:1
(anonymous) @ md5.js:1
value @ async.js:1
Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:42:41.708Z [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] <e.value>: Bridge Channel send: no opened channel.
value @ md5.js:1
value @ md5.js:1
value @ lib-jitsi-meet.min.js?v=3919:1
oe.sendEndpointMessage @ md5.js:1
oe.sendMessage @ md5.js:1
Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:42:41.708Z [JitsiConference.js] <e.sendMessage>: Failed to send E2E ping request or response. undefined
Logger.js:154 2020-03-25T18:42:42.563Z [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] <e.value>: Bridge Channel send: no opened channel.

I did not see bridge not available message in console.

Will attach a fresh jicofo/jvb log soon.

jicofo.log (40.2 KB) jvb.log (33.2 KB)

Please see jicofo/jvb log, there is only one conference, the name is jvb2.

Looks like a network issue, will share the update soon.

Ok, I was just about to say it looks like ICE is failing for all the endpoints.

My bad, I should have looked the ICE first, the box is not setup by me, other engineer set it up. Once it is ready, we will make it available to everyone.

The network problem is solved, it is ready to offload some traffic from meet.jit.si :slight_smile:

The site is https://meet.555.comcast.com

Kudos to Jitsi team!

2 Likes

What was the issue? How did you solve it? I am facing same issue.

Looking forward for some help as I am now planning to uninstall Jitsi and move on to Openmeet - this has been a very very painful exercise for me - when I know the end result is going to zero - specially from a commercial point of view.

This started as a passion project, which has been painful enough to start and finish on a test machine (an old laptop with a decent enough spec) but now getting it on a prod environment has really made my overall experience very irritating and frustrating.

The details given on Jitsi quick or advance install is relatively useless, because it has never worked for me as an “out of box solution” and I have installed and uninstalled Jitsi (including formatting the test server and start from the scratch) at least 50 times this is not an expression, I am serious - thuis a real number. I have lost the count of number of configuration changes I have made, must be thousands times and it is still not working as it should and I am only looking for basic configuration to start with.

For some background info, I am using Webmin with Apache behind pfsense firewall. Webmin’s port 10000 has been changed to 9999, so that 10000 is free and available for Jitsi.

This is a production server where I am hosting multiple domains/websites for clients and one of them is the this jitsi server conference.mydomain.com

Before moving on to Prod, I deployed it on Test (with different URL) and tested it for 2 weeks. When everything looked good, I decided to build one for prod and the plan was to customise the name, logo etc.

However, in production when 2 people connect in a room, it is perfectly fine but the moment 3rd person joins in everyone can see only themselves and everyone else becomes blank with their initials.

I have manually checked every single files, configuration and even firewall rules for both test and prod, cant see any difference but still test works great and prod has become a pain in the wrong place.

Just like test, in prod also I have made the relevant changes in /etc/jitsi/videobridge/sip-communicator.properties including

org.ice4j.ice.harvest.NAT_HARVESTER_LOCAL_ADDRESS=192.168.24.30
org.ice4j.ice.harvest.NAT_HARVESTER_PUBLIC_ADDRESS=my.public.ip.address

org.jitsi.videobridge.NAT_HARVESTER_LOCAL_ADDRESS=192.168.24.30
org.jitsi.videobridge.NAT_HARVESTER_PUBLIC_ADDRESS=my.public.ip.address

When 3rd person joins in, half way thri the console I get a hell lot of error showing:
Logger.js:154 2020-05-21T16:01:47.028Z [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] <l._send>: Bridge Channel send: no opened channel.
And a lot of log details between these 2 lines
Logger.js:154 2020-05-21T16:01:47.031Z [JitsiConference.js] <h.sendMessage>: Failed to send E2E ping request or response. undefined

Logger.js:154 2020-05-21T16:01:47.035Z [modules/RTC/BridgeChannel.js] <l._send>: Bridge Channel send: no opened channel.
And a lot of log details between these 2 lines
Logger.js:154 2020-05-21T16:01:47.037Z [JitsiConference.js] <h.sendMessage>: Failed to send E2E ping request or response. undefined

If you need more details, please do let me know.

Many Thanks in advance and I hope like many other threads this thread does not go stale and someone actually looks into it, provide some help and suggestion to get this resolved.

Many Thanks,
Rav

For me the install manual has worked more than 10 times. Though 10 < 50, it works for me anyway. If you think it’s useless, it’s useless for you.

It is not great practice to add your post to this 2 month old thread, which has told the original issue was fixed.

The source code has been developed since then and the cause of the issue may be different.

Please provide specific and detailed steps to reproduce the issue, otherwise your post will be ignored forever.

Hia,

Sorry, but I don’t think this forum is indebted to reflect only your experience and opinion.

There IS an issue with this forum and community and so I am just calling it out and if you are so touchy about the subject, I will suggest that you spend more time on the forum and help members :-). It is so disappointing to see 100s of threads going stale and then getting closed down.

I don’t know what environment you are using where it is working for you straight out of the box - I have tried all different combination (with and without Webmin, with and without firewall/NAT, with and without static IP address, with and without stable and unstable code base) and every SINGLE time I had to do numerous config changes and spent days and weeks (not hours) to get it work. I am a big fan, supported and user of open source but when it comes to Jitsi, there is a massive gap, which needs to be worked upon by people like us.

And as far as 2 months old thread is concerned, I am not sure what is an acceptable timeline - I hope you are not expecting me to ask my question on a 2 days old thread. I searched a lot (for hours and hours) on the community, found this thread to be most relevant, still open and recent enough and so I added my question/request here.

And lastly, the blanket statement that you have made at the end (asking for more details) has made me speechless. Not sure if you have even read/understood my issue, but to be honest, when I was providing the details, I was worried that I am probably sharing too much information and I was worried I will bore people as this is a very well known issue, but it seems like it is still too little for you. Not sure what other information I can provide you.

Having said that, if you want to ask any specific questions, pls feel free to do so and I will be more than happy to provide all the details - as I am really keen to get this sorted because it is working perfectly fine in test environment and now I want to use it in prod.

Many Thanks,
Rav

These are the correct props to set.

What about port forwarding, is it working? You can test it using nc.

Thanks for getting back @damencho

Here is the output from Netcat:

root@meet:~# nc -zv -u 192.168.24.30 10000
Connection to 192.168.24.30 10000 port [udp/*] succeeded!
root@meet:~# nc -zv 192.168.24.30 80
Connection to 192.168.24.30 80 port [tcp/http] succeeded!
root@meet:~# nc -zv 192.168.24.30 443
Connection to 192.168.24.30 443 port [tcp/https] succeeded!
root@meet:~# nc -zv 192.168.24.30 4446
nc: connect to 192.168.24.30 port 4446 (tcp) failed: Connection refused
root@meet:~# nc -zv 192.168.24.30 4443
nc: connect to 192.168.24.30 port 4443 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

10000 on UDP, 80 and 443 on TCP seems to be working fine. But 4443 and 4446 seems to be playing up. Do you recokn, that can be the root cause for not being able to have a 3 way communication?

Just thought, it might be easier for everyone trying to help me, if I share my jitsi server details. So here it is: meet.abc.com

Pls feel free to test it at your end and let me know if you see anything alarming or silly that I have missed.

Also, I am using prosody 0.10

root@meet:~# apt policy prosody
prosody:
Installed: 0.10.0-1build1

I know you always suggest to upgrade to 0.11, but I dont know how plus I think there is need to set storage after upgrading it as well. My current installation itself has been very painful, so I am not sure what else will break and how much more work, effort and time the upgrade will take overall. So if we can leave with 0.10 that will be my preference - at least for the time being.

Many Thanjks,
Rav

So jvb advertises the ip correctly:

Normally when this happens, people are having problem with either port forwarding or firewall.

To test port forwarding you need to execute the nc client from Internet pointed to your public IP address, the same way client will connect to your jvb instance and you need to verify that port forwarding from the public IP address to the private one, works.

Thanks @damencho I will try to do it from outside, but I don’t have alternate internet access.

Can you pls try it from your end as a client and see what is the output/issue?

Many Thanks,
Rav

It says succeed using your command, but make sure you test it with nc client running and listening on the machine with jvb stopped, it can be forwarded to somewhere else…

Thanks @damencho

Just tried using another laptop on a different public IP and it still looks good.

But whatever you are asking me to do is, above my technical capability. :frowning:

Not sure, how to install and run nc client. Should it be on my laptopp or server?
Not sure, how to stop jvb ( is it: sudo service jitsi-videobridge2 stop)?
Not sure, how to “forwarded to somewhere else”. Forward what, where and how?

Many Thanks,
Rav

You should already had done the port forwarding of the ports on your router/NAT device, double check them.

sudo service jitsi-videobridge2 stop
nc -l 10000 -u

And from Internet machine:

echo "123" | nc -u <your public address> 10000

Thanks again.

So this is what I have done:
On the server:
sudo service jitsi-videobridge2 stop
Command ran successfully.
nc -l 10000 -u
Command got stuck, just waiting and nothing happens.

Then on another internet facing machine (but behind firewall, router, antvirus)
	echo "123" | nc -u server.ip.address 10000
		Command ran successfully and prompt came back, but othing happens.

Not sure of I am doing it right or missing something.

BTW I can do the port forwarding on the firewall, but need to know what (which IP, which service, which port) to forward and where?

Many Thanks,
Rav