Laptop heats up with just 3 users

Hi,

Finally I am able to setup Jitsi cluster (https://meet.mydomain.com/1111) with 2 JVBs on AWS EC2 ( c5.xlarge; 4cores; 8GB ram; 50GB SSD ). I joined the jitsi meet from 3 chrome browsers with 3 different chromeuser profiles. I get to see my face 3 times in tile view on the chrome tab(s). Sofar so good. Video quality is HD in all 3 browsers.

I keep the meeting running for 10 - 15 minutes. After this time the laptop heats-up pretty bad (the fan runs pretty loud; the temperature should be at-least 45 degrees centigrade ).

My laptop configuration
My laptop configuration is: Mac book Pro 2019 version (16GB ram, intel i7 10th generation processor, 16" monitor; standard stuff you get from mac store) I am from India and room temperature is 32 deg centigrade. Laptop has just jitsi in chrome (with some 20 other tabs) open.

Given that all 3 browsers are colocated; the UDP packets of the webrtc should not cross my system. Even if they do go to JVB-s isn’t it too much for the laptop to heat-up for just me and 2 others joining the conference? Now what will happen if i enable Jitsi for 50 users tomorrow?

Question 1:
My clients have pretty bad laptops ( intel i5 processor; some 4GB ram; Acer/ Lenovo; some 4Mbps network ). What should be the settings i have to do so that they dont see performance issues on their laptops? They shoud be able to see the show (ok with bad video) but audio should not break. Atelast 15-20 people will join the show.

How is it that Google Hangouts doesnt heatup the laptop insspite of 50-60 people joining the show (1 video; max 2 people talking; after 16-20 tiles google hangouts shows 1 tile for all 40);

Question 2:
Some of my customers also join via google chrome on mobile phone. What can i do so that the app (web app) doesnt heatup the mobiles

any thoughts? kindly help.

If you have more than 2 participants in the conference, the audio and video always passes through the JVB. This is the SFU model. Each participant sends their audio and video once (with multiple layers of video), JVB selects which layer to forward to each other participant. Sending all audio and video P2P in a large conference would impose unrealistic bandwidth and encoding requirements on the users’ computers. (i.e. your laptop would be hotter!)

Your laptop is mostly heating up from the video encoding of your outgoing stream. It won’t heat up much more with more participants in the call, because it still only has to send one outgoing stream.

The most likely cause of excessive heat is encoding video without hardware acceleration; check which codec is in use for each participant (in their signal strength popup). If using VP9, try VP8 (videoQuality.preferredCodec in config.js). Different devices have different hardware acceleration capability.