JVB graceful shutdown mode causes conferences to crash

Hi there,

We are experiencing conferences crashing in the following circumstances:

1. JVB is in graceful termination mode (jitsi-videobridge/graceful_shutdown.sh at master · jitsi/jitsi-videobridge · GitHub)
  2. A user enters the running conference

We have mitigated this problem by removing the request to put JVB in the graceful-shutdown mode. However, we are wondering if this could cause negative/unwanted side efects.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Thank you for the report we will look into it.

Which jitsi-meet is that?

Thanks for the quick response @damencho.

We are using our own deployment. Not sure if that’s what you’re asking.

Which jvb and jicofo versions are those? Latest from stable?

The base docker image we’re using is

• jitsi/base-java:stable-4627-1

And then inside of this container:

• jitsi-videobridge2=2.1-416-g2f43d1b4-1
  • jicofo=1.0-691-hf-1

EDIT: Each of the applications (jvb, jicofo) are in their own container, running on separate pods.

Nope, it is in our immediate to-do tasks, so it should be fixed soon.

1 Like

Just FYI, I can also reproduce this on stable-5390-3 with this shutdown script: jitsi-deployment/jvb-shutdown-configmap.yaml at master · hpi-schul-cloud/jitsi-deployment · GitHub

root@jvb-0:/# bash /scripts/graceful_shutdown.sh -t 10
Graceful shutdown started
There are still 1 conferences
It is still running, lets give it 10 seconds <-- new user enters existing conference
Bridge did not exit after 10 sec - killing 212
Bridge shutdown OK

I just double checked that the bug is not related to this (3rd party) shutdown script by curling the endpoints directly.
@damencho Is it worth opening an issue on github about this? I couldn’t find one in the jvb repo.

Are you talking about the issue when user entering the conference and the jvb there is in shutdown, makes it to reload for everyone?

Yep

Ok, open one, you need to open it in jicofo repo where the problem is … not that issues resolve themselves automatically :slight_smile: someone needs to get to it … I know we will work on it but I don’t have any ETA

1 Like

@nightvisi0n any chance you could post here the link to the GitHub ticket if you’ll open it?

We’re working on a fix for this issue here wip: Graceful Graceful shutdown by gpolitis · Pull Request #705 · jitsi/jicofo · GitHub. If anyone gets a chance to test it, please let us know!

3 Likes

We’ve merged the PR yesterday so jicofo >= 1.1-20210312.205142-274 should be fixed. Thanks for the report!

3 Likes