Jitsi-VideoBridge colibri stats are not correct when using OCTO

Hello all,

We have noticed a problem with JVB stats when using OCTO. The value of “conferences” and “participants” doubles when we have multi-region conferences.

In this example with have one conference and 4 participants (3 from region A and 1 from region B)

But colibri stats API (all JVBs combined) show 2 conferences and 8 participants instead of 1 conference and 4 participants.

Is this a bug ? any help would be greatly appreciated :pray:

Yep, the jvbs know about the endpoints on the other jvbs so you cannot sum them.

is there any way or calculation to get the real number of participants and conferences from each JVB ?

not sure, but maybe this can help

collect all the stats from all the machines to a central location

tag every metric with the machine name

create formula in grafana vb1 + vb2 participants = total participants. Something like this

how many max participants did you have on your octo ?

Yes I already have Grafana +netdata for metrics visualization.

the problem is that “participants” and “conference” values are doubled when using octo so combining them isn’t the solution

We have about 500-800 simultaneous users with OCTO

thats massive.

Can you share your server hardware configurations ?

Because I had like 69-70 participants and all my clients had their CPU full ( OCTO server )

Also an option is to have those numbers from jicofo. Will ask do we deal with that in any way.

@damencho any idea to reduce client side CPU usage ? I faced this issue in my regular installation of latest jitsi meet OCT setup

There were only 60-70 participants and the CPU was full

LastN, enableLayerSuspension … And use latest versions from unstable …

Thanks Damian, we will get those number from jicofo.

I think we’re not talking about the same thing.
When I said 500-800 users. I meant they were distributed on many conferences (about 100-200).

@damencho

How does this thing work exactly ?

LastN

If lets say I have 50 people in a meeting, and almost 10-15 people have their video feed on, with only 2-3 people speaking, then only the 2-3 people video feed will be forwarded to all the 50 participants. Is this correct ?

What happens when I select lastN as 4 ?

And and when I enableLayerSuspention, does it automatically select the active video stream and send it to all the users ?

I might be completely wrong here, any help ?

If you have lastN set to 3, yes.

You receive 4.

I don’t get your questions. This reduces the resolution sent from clients if nobody is requesting it. This offloads server traffic and client computers, to encode and send less.