[jitsi-users] what about open formats support in Jitsi when recording?


#1

Hi!

What about open formats support for audio and video? I mean - there is
recording audio to mp3 but what about opus
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_codec)>, flac
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC>, ogg vorbis
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis> support of audio recording?
Sounds like opus support is already there in Jitsi...

Same for video - Ogg Theora <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_Theora>
but also webm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM> support would be
appreciated in nowadays HTML5 world. Especially when recording video

Best Regards,
Edmund


#2

Hi Edmund,

I would prefer if the wav recording worked because then you could take that
and make it into any format with any sampling and bit rate you desire. If
things like flac, ogg vorbis are enabled, that only means more menus to
build to set more options for records and more maintenance to manage with
updates to various codecs.

Just my opinion....

Best,
Jungle

···

On 16 November 2013 19:03, Edmund Laugasson <edmund.laugasson@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi!

What about open formats support for audio and video? I mean - there is
recording audio to mp3 but what about opus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_codec)>,
flac <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC>, ogg vorbis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis>support of audio recording?
Sounds like opus support is already there in Jitsi...

Same for video - Ogg Theora <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_Theora> but
also webm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM> support would be
appreciated in nowadays HTML5 world. Especially when recording video

Best Regards,
Edmund

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
-------
inum: 883510009902611
sip: jungleboogie@sip2sip.info
xmpp: jungle-boogie@jit.si


#3

Support for ogg wouldn't be hard so if people are interested in
contributing it could easily happen. We probably will not work on it at
least for a while though since we have higher priorities.

We don't currently support video recording. This is something that we
arethinking about and it will happen at some point but when it does, we
will likely just save content the way we receive it: h.264 or vp8.

--sent from my mobile

···

On 17 Nov 2013 04:04, "Edmund Laugasson" <edmund.laugasson@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

What about open formats support for audio and video? I mean - there is
recording audio to mp3 but what about opus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_codec)>,
flac <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC>, ogg vorbis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis>support of audio recording?
Sounds like opus support is already there in Jitsi...

Same for video - Ogg Theora <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_Theora> but
also webm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM> support would be
appreciated in nowadays HTML5 world. Especially when recording video

Best Regards,
Edmund

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#4

As you probably see at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveform_Audio_File_Format then this is file
format by Microsoft which is not suitable to FOSS world. Wave does not
support ID3tag and is approximately half size bigger than FLAC. FLAC is
also free and open-source.
There is no problem to edit FLAC and export it to any other format.

//edmund

···

17.11.2013 10:25 kirjutas kuupäeval "Jungle Boogie" <jungleboogie0@gmail.com >:

Hi Edmund,

I would prefer if the wav recording worked because then you could take
that and make it into any format with any sampling and bit rate you desire.
If things like flac, ogg vorbis are enabled, that only means more menus to
build to set more options for records and more maintenance to manage with
updates to various codecs.

Just my opinion....

Best,
Jungle

On 16 November 2013 19:03, Edmund Laugasson <edmund.laugasson@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi!

What about open formats support for audio and video? I mean - there is
recording audio to mp3 but what about opus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_codec)>,
flac <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC>, ogg vorbis<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis>support of audio recording?
Sounds like opus support is already there in Jitsi...

Same for video - Ogg Theora <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg_Theora>but also
webm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM> support would be appreciated in
nowadays HTML5 world. Especially when recording video

Best Regards,
Edmund

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
-------
inum: 883510009902611
sip: jungleboogie@sip2sip.info
xmpp: jungle-boogie@jit.si

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#5

Hi Edmund,

I agree with Philipp 100% and that is the point I'm trying to make by
saying fix was and the reset of the formats can be used. Of course I would
take a way recording and turn it into a flat recording--that's what I
already do with recordings made on digital audio recorders already.

Best,
Jungle


#6

Actually WAV is an excellent format for many use cases and very well
supported in free software. It's just PCM with some header, very
simple and very universal. It is THE choice if you want to process
recordings further. So WAV or the less common WAV64 (for longer
recordings) would be a very universal choice.
If Jitsi is converting from some format to mp3 then PCM is
already used as an intermediate step.
If there's recording to mp3 then recording to WAV should be almost the
same code.

Regards,
Philipp

···

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:30:02 +0200 Edmund Laugasson <edmund.laugasson@gmail.com> wrote:

As you probably see at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveform_Audio_File_Format then this is
file format by Microsoft which is not suitable to FOSS world. Wave
does not support ID3tag and is approximately half size bigger than
FLAC. FLAC is also free and open-source.
There is no problem to edit FLAC and export it to any other format.

//edmund


#7

Hi all, myself and a friend have just downloaded Jitsi but are having problems calling each other. It keeps disconnecting and coming up with message "cannot connect invalid parameters". I think I have downloaded properly on my side as I can hear dialling tone when I call but my friend has no sound so I think problem is on that side.
Can anyone help please?
Thx

···

On Sunday, 17 November 2013, 18:06, Jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com> wrote:
  
Hi Edmund,
I agree with Philipp 100% and that is the point I'm trying to make by saying fix was and the reset of the formats can be used. Of course I would take a way recording and turn it into a flat recording--that's what I already do with recordings made on digital audio recorders already.
Best,
Jungle

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#8

Brian,

Are you both using jit.si accounts? That is usually the best starting
place for troubleshooting.

If you still have problems click on the "Call info" button and still if
there are any significant issues. Finally, consider sending your logs as
described here: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs

On a side note, it is better use a email subject line that describes
your issue. The mailing lists sometimes get quite a bit of traffic, and
it helps people sorting through their messages. I changed the subject
for your thread with this email.

David

···

On 11/17/2013 12:38 PM, Brian Smyth wrote:

Hi all, myself and a friend have just downloaded Jitsi but are having
problems calling each other. It keeps disconnecting and coming up with
message "cannot connect invalid parameters". I think I have downloaded
properly on my side as I can hear dialling tone when I call but my
friend has no sound so I think problem is on that side.
Can anyone help please?
Thx


#9

Many thanks for your reply David. I'll check those out and see what happens. Will let you know if it works or not.

Cheers
Brian

Brian,

Are you both using jit.si accounts? That is usually the best starting
place for troubleshooting.

If you still have problems click on the "Call info" button and still if
there are any significant issues. Finally, consider sending your logs as
described here: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs

On a side note, it is better use a email subject line that describes
your issue. The mailing lists sometimes get quite a bit of traffic, and
it helps people sorting through their messages. I changed the subject
for your thread with this email.

David

···

On Sunday, 17 November 2013, 21:10, David Bolton <davidkbolton@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/17/2013 12:38 PM, Brian Smyth wrote:

Hi all, myself and a friend have just downloaded Jitsi but are having
problems calling each other. It keeps disconnecting and coming up with
message "cannot connect invalid parameters". I think I have downloaded
properly on my side as I can hear dialling tone when I call but my
friend has no sound so I think problem is on that side.
Can anyone help please?
Thx

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#10

I have to say, that I have also same problem - cannot use Jitsi, because
we did not hear each other. I use 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with all
updates + latest stable kernel (currently 3.12.0-031200-generic) and
Jitsi 2.2.4603.9615 - I could not hear but I was listenable ....
sometimes. Other side was same Ubuntu but default updated kernel (3.2.x).
We both did use Google account. Sound settings are double checked -
other apps will work. Also restarted PC several times.

I would say, that even after handshake (user log in) these problems
remained.

Best Regards,
Edmund

···

Brian,

Are you both using jit.si accounts? That is usually the best starting
place for troubleshooting.

If you still have problems click on the "Call info" button and still if
there are any significant issues. Finally, consider sending your logs as
described here: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs

On a side note, it is better use a email subject line that describes
your issue. The mailing lists sometimes get quite a bit of traffic, and
it helps people sorting through their messages. I changed the subject
for your thread with this email.

David

On 11/17/2013 12:38 PM, Brian Smyth wrote:

Hi all, myself and a friend have just downloaded Jitsi but are having
problems calling each other. It keeps disconnecting and coming up with
message "cannot connect invalid parameters". I think I have downloaded
properly on my side as I can hear dialling tone when I call but my
friend has no sound so I think problem is on that side.
Can anyone help please?
Thx

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
Signature - Edmund Laugasson Edmund Laugasson
<https://sites.google.com/site/phdedmund/>
PhD student
Tallinn University <https://www.tlu.ee/en>, Institute of Informatics
<http://www.tlu.ee/en/institute-of-informatics>
Digital Safety Lab <http://www.tlu.ee/dsl>
Estonia


#11

You may want to try with jit.si accounts.

http://jit.si

--sent from my mobile

···

On 18 Nov 2013 01:35, "Edmund Laugasson" <edmund.laugasson@gmail.com> wrote:

I have to say, that I have also same problem - cannot use Jitsi, because
we did not hear each other. I use 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with all updates
+ latest stable kernel (currently 3.12.0-031200-generic) and Jitsi
2.2.4603.9615 - I could not hear but I was listenable .... sometimes. Other
side was same Ubuntu but default updated kernel (3.2.x).
We both did use Google account. Sound settings are double checked - other
apps will work. Also restarted PC several times.

I would say, that even after handshake (user log in) these problems
remained.

Best Regards,
Edmund

Brian,

Are you both using jit.si accounts? That is usually the best starting
place for troubleshooting.

If you still have problems click on the "Call info" button and still if
there are any significant issues. Finally, consider sending your logs as
described here: https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs

On a side note, it is better use a email subject line that describes
your issue. The mailing lists sometimes get quite a bit of traffic, and
it helps people sorting through their messages. I changed the subject
for your thread with this email.

David

On 11/17/2013 12:38 PM, Brian Smyth wrote:

Hi all, myself and a friend have just downloaded Jitsi but are having
problems calling each other. It keeps disconnecting and coming up with
message "cannot connect invalid parameters". I think I have downloaded
properly on my side as I can hear dialling tone when I call but my
friend has no sound so I think problem is on that side.
Can anyone help please?
Thx

_______________________________________________
users mailing listusers@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
Edmund Laugasson <https://sites.google.com/site/phdedmund/>
PhD student
Tallinn University <https://www.tlu.ee/en>, Institute of Informatics<http://www.tlu.ee/en/institute-of-informatics>
Digital Safety Lab <http://www.tlu.ee/dsl>
Estonia

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users