[jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi


#1

Hello User group,

I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend to others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I found Jitsi!
I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the only such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not had much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.

I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge, and added two (or one) people to the conference and got
net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently supported Transport
    at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
    ... 6 more
And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html) suggesting I add these configuration settings:
org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true

org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=falseHowever, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems to have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of my computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a person, I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you attempted to view more.

Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could find next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that it isn't possible yet?
I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would like a software client anyway.

Connor Doherty
(848) 218-0683
connordoherty@member.fsf.org


#2

Hey Conor,

Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.

As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try https://meet.jit.si

Emil

···

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

Hello User group,

I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend to
others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I found
Jitsi!
I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the only
such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not had
much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way
video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.

I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge, and
added two (or one) people to the conference and got

net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: Failed
to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently
supported Transport
    at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
    at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
    ... 6 more

And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
(http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html) suggesting I
add these configuration settings:
org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems to
have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of my
computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a person,
I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given
user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you attempted to
view more.

Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could find
next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that it
isn't possible yet?
I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would
like a software client anyway.

Connor Doherty
(848) 218-0683
connordoherty@member.fsf.org

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org


#3

you can take also any other xmpp or SIP account and try via "create a
conference call", it uses more resources but should work for both audio
and video. probably "ICE failed" error may occur.

Also VoIP in Jitsi used via "conference call" is really secure
(end-to-end encryption with zRTP via the conference call host) where in
"creating videobridge" you have to trust the server, where the
videobridge is installed (now at the jit.si Team, which I DO trust...)
Alternative you install your own videobridge server.

According to Appelbaum/Poitras only OTR and zRTP based communication is
really secure, both is implemented in Jitsi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgGMj3Mf88

PGP.sig (489 Bytes)

···

On 12/31/14 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty wrote:

Hello User group,

I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and
recommend to others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was
lost before I found Jitsi!
I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the
only such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have
not had much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to
do two-way video calls. Adding a third, however is not so
straightforward.

I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a
Videobridge, and added two (or one) people to the conference and got

    net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
    Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a
    currently supported Transport
        at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
        at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
        ... 6 more

And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
(http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
suggesting I add these configuration settings:
/org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true /
/org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false/
However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems
to have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all
of my computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and
adding a person, I had gotten voice but only one person's video could
be shown to a given user at a time and it would simply switch between
them when you attempted to view more.

Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I
could find next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a
known fact that it isn't possible yet?
I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I
would like a software client anyway.

Connor Doherty
(848) 218-0683
connordoherty@member.fsf.org <mailto:connordoherty@member.fsf.org>

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#4

Are you using a recent nightly build of Jitsi? This is supposed to be fixed there.

Boris

···

On 31/12/14 05:46, Connor Doherty wrote:

Hello User group,

I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend
to others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before
I found Jitsi!
I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the
only such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have
not had much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do
two-way video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.

I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge,
and added two (or one) people to the conference and got

    net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
    Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
         at
    net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a
    currently supported Transport
         at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)


#5

Hi Emil,

Good to hear jit.si
is back, but I already explained why I can't use Jitsi Meet. Is Jitsi
not capable of videoconferencing itself?
Connor

···

From: emcho@jitsi.org
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:24:47 +0100
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

Hey Conor,

Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.

As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try https://meet.jit.si

Emil

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:
> Hello User group,
>
> I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
> gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend to
> others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I found
> Jitsi!
> I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the only
> such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not had
> much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way
> video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.
>
> I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge, and
> added two (or one) people to the conference and got
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: Failed
> to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently
> supported Transport
> at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
> at
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
> ... 6 more
>
> And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
> (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html) suggesting I
> add these configuration settings:
> org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
> org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
> However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems to
> have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of my
> computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a person,
> I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given
> user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you attempted to
> view more.
>
> Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could find
> next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that it
> isn't possible yet?
> I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would
> like a software client anyway.
>
> Connor Doherty
> (848) 218-0683
> connordoherty@member.fsf.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users@jitsi.org
> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#6

I appreciate the security and I understand it doesn't apply to videobridging, but I'm not worried about encryption until I can get the call to work. Choosing "create video bridge" and inviting only jit.si accounts should use jitsi's own videobridge, right?

···

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:52:51 +0100
From: mr.smith476@gmail.com
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

    you can take also any other xmpp or SIP
      account and try via "create a conference call", it uses more
      resources but should work for both audio and video. probably "ICE
      failed" error may occur.

      Also VoIP in Jitsi used via "conference call" is really secure
      (end-to-end encryption with zRTP via the conference call host)
      where in "creating videobridge" you have to trust the server,
      where the videobridge is installed (now at the jit.si Team, which
      I DO trust...)

      Alternative you install your own videobridge server.

      According to Appelbaum/Poitras only OTR and zRTP based
      communication is really secure, both is implemented in Jitsi:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgGMj3Mf88

      On 12/31/14 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty wrote:

      Hello User group,

          I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was
          searching for a gratis and free videoconferencing solution I
          can both use and recommend to others instead of Skype or
          OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I found Jitsi!

          I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well
          be the only such solution in the world right now. As excited
          as I was, I have not had much luck! Creating two jit.si
          accounts, I was easily able to do two-way video calls. Adding
          a third, however is not so straightforward.

          I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a
          Videobridge, and added two (or one) people to the conference
          and got

        net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
            Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)

          Caused
            by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a
            currently supported Transport

            at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)

            at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)

            ... 6 more

        And it
          took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
          suggesting I add these configuration settings:

        org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
        
        org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
        However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si
        server seems to have gone down (and still down for a few hours
        now) or at least all of my computers think so. When I try doing
        a videoconference and adding a person, I had gotten voice but
        only one person's video could be shown to a given user at a time
        and it would simply switch between them when you attempted to
        view more.

        Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today?
        I could find next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps
        it's a known fact that it isn't possible yet?

        I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and
        I would like a software client anyway.

          Connor
              Doherty

            (848) 218-0683

            connordoherty@member.fsf.org

      _______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
    
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#7

Hey Connor,

Hi Emil,

Good to hear jit.si is back, but I already explained why I can't use Jitsi
Meet.

Oh, OK I hadn't noticed this:

I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and
I would like a software client anyway.

That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

Also, Firefox support is on the way.

Is Jitsi not capable of videoconferencing itself?

It is. You can add people to a call or create calls with a number of
people to invite. That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is
not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started
work on Jitsi Meet.

Cheers,
Emil

···

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

Connor

From: emcho@jitsi.org
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:24:47 +0100
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

Hey Conor,

Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.

As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try
https://meet.jit.si

Emil

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> >> wrote:
> Hello User group,
>
> I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
> gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend
> to
> others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I
> found
> Jitsi!
> I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the
> only
> such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not
> had
> much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way
> video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.
>
> I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge,
> and
> added two (or one) people to the conference and got
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
> Failed
> to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently
> supported Transport
> at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
> at
>
> net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
> ... 6 more
>
> And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
> (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
> suggesting I
> add these configuration settings:
> org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
> org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
> However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems
> to
> have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of
> my
> computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a
> person,
> I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given
> user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you
> attempted to
> view more.
>
> Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could
> find
> next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that
> it
> isn't possible yet?
> I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would
> like a software client anyway.
>
> Connor Doherty
> (848) 218-0683
> connordoherty@member.fsf.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users@jitsi.org
> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org


#8

yes!

PGP.sig (489 Bytes)

···

On 12/31/14 10:01 AM, Connor Doherty wrote:

I appreciate the security and I understand it doesn't apply to
videobridging, but I'm not worried about encryption until I can get
the call to /work/. Choosing "create video bridge" and inviting only
jit.si accounts should use jitsi's own videobridge, right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:52:51 +0100
From: mr.smith476@gmail.com
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

you can take also any other xmpp or SIP account and try via "create a
conference call", it uses more resources but should work for both
audio and video. probably "ICE failed" error may occur.

Also VoIP in Jitsi used via "conference call" is really secure
(end-to-end encryption with zRTP via the conference call host) where
in "creating videobridge" you have to trust the server, where the
videobridge is installed (now at the jit.si Team, which I DO trust...)
Alternative you install your own videobridge server.

According to Appelbaum/Poitras only OTR and zRTP based communication
is really secure, both is implemented in Jitsi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SgGMj3Mf88

On 12/31/14 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty wrote:

    Hello User group,

    I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching
    for a gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use
    and recommend to others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all
    hope was lost before I found Jitsi!
    I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be
    the only such solution in the world right now. As excited as I
    was, I have not had much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was
    easily able to do two-way video calls. Adding a third, however is
    not so straightforward.

    I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a
    Videobridge, and added two (or one) people to the conference and got

        net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
        Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
        <mailto:connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6>
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
        Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a
        currently supported Transport
            at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
            at
        net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
            ... 6 more

    And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
    (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
    suggesting I add these configuration settings:
    /org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true /
    /org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false/
    However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server
    seems to have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at
    least all of my computers think so. When I try doing a
    videoconference and adding a person, I had gotten voice but only
    one person's video could be shown to a given user at a time and it
    would simply switch between them when you attempted to view more.

    Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I
    could find next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a
    known fact that it isn't possible yet?
    I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I
    would like a software client anyway.

    Connor Doherty
    (848) 218-0683
    connordoherty@member.fsf.org <mailto:connordoherty@member.fsf.org>

    _______________________________________________
    users mailing list
    users@jitsi.org <mailto:users@jitsi.org>
    Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
    http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________ users mailing list
users@jitsi.org Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#9

Just tested -- a conference using the videobridge on jit.si works fine for me (with the latest code).

Boris

···

On 01/01/15 15:06, Boris Grozev wrote:

On 31/12/14 05:46, Connor Doherty wrote:

Hello User group,

I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend
to others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before
I found Jitsi!
I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the
only such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have
not had much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do
two-way video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.

I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge,
and added two (or one) people to the conference and got

     net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
     Failed to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
          at
     net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
     Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a
     currently supported Transport
          at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)

Are you using a recent nightly build of Jitsi? This is supposed to be
fixed there.

Boris


#10

Emil -

That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

I'm aware of Chromium, let me be clearer - I can't use software unacceptable for inclusion in a fully free distribution (like mine).
Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium.
That said, I'm not excited about installing a whole additional browser just for a single webapp anyway (remember those I communicate would have to do so as well). Which brings me to your point about Mozilla-based browsers:

Also, Firefox support is on the way.

Is it though? The "Chrome only" page refers to Bug #977864, which has status RESOLVED
          WONTFIX. The discussion (debate?) which took place on that page seemed bleak for jitsi development and certainly hasn't moved.
Regardless, I'd like to get the dedicated client working before I have niceties such as a webapp:

That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is
not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started
work on Jitsi Meet.

I wonder what you mean by "support". Do I correctly gather that development of the feature is thereby "temporarily abandoned"? Might I ask why the priority is on the web app first when you have built a client (perhaps moving on to more fun development, challenging Hangouts instead of Skype)?

Anyway, now that the jit.si servers have come back online I'll test if it works with the special configuration.

···

From: emcho@jitsi.org
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:57:09 +0100
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

Hey Connor,

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:
> Hi Emil,
>
> Good to hear jit.si is back, but I already explained why I can't use Jitsi
> Meet.

Oh, OK I hadn't noticed this:

> I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and
> I would like a software client anyway.

That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

Also, Firefox support is on the way.

> Is Jitsi not capable of videoconferencing itself?

It is. You can add people to a call or create calls with a number of
people to invite. That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is
not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started
work on Jitsi Meet.

Cheers,
Emil

> Connor
>
>
>> From: emcho@jitsi.org
>> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:24:47 +0100
>> To: users@jitsi.org
>> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi
>
>>
>> Hey Conor,
>>
>> Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.
>>
>> As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try
>> https://meet.jit.si
>>
>> Emil
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> > >> wrote:
>> > Hello User group,
>> >
>> > I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a
>> > gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend
>> > to
>> > others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I
>> > found
>> > Jitsi!
>> > I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the
>> > only
>> > such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not
>> > had
>> > much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way
>> > video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.
>> >
>> > I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge,
>> > and
>> > added two (or one) people to the conference and got
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:
>> > Failed
>> > to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)
>> > Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently
>> > supported Transport
>> > at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)
>> > at
>> >
>> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)
>> > ... 6 more
>> >
>> > And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
>> > (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
>> > suggesting I
>> > add these configuration settings:
>> > org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
>> > org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
>> > However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems
>> > to
>> > have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of
>> > my
>> > computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a
>> > person,
>> > I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given
>> > user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you
>> > attempted to
>> > view more.
>> >
>> > Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could
>> > find
>> > next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that
>> > it
>> > isn't possible yet?
>> > I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would
>> > like a software client anyway.
>> >
>> > Connor Doherty
>> > (848) 218-0683
>> > connordoherty@member.fsf.org
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > users mailing list
>> > users@jitsi.org
>> > Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
>> > http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> https://jitsi.org
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> users mailing list
>> users@jitsi.org
>> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
>> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users@jitsi.org
> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#11

Emil -

> That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
> which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

I'm aware of Chromium, let me be clearer - I can't use software

unacceptable for inclusion in a fully free distribution (like mine).

Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium.

While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is
likely to take us on a very offtopicy path.

That said, I'm not excited about installing a whole additional browser

just for a single webapp anyway

(remember those I communicate would have to do so as well).

How is this different from installing or having your friends install a rich
client?

Which brings me to your point about Mozilla-based browsers:

> Also, Firefox support is on the way.
Is it though?

Yes.

The "Chrome only" page refers to Bug #977864, which has status RESOLVED

WONTFIX. The discussion (debate?) which took place on that page seemed
bleak for jitsi development and certainly hasn't moved.

While that specific ticket is indeed closed development of multistream
support in Firefox is currently taking place. We are working together with
FF developers to make sure Meet and Jitsi Videobridge are compatible with
the FF versions that will have that.

Regardless, I'd like to get the dedicated client working before I have

niceties such as a webapp:

>That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is
> not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started
> work on Jitsi Meet.
I wonder what you mean by "support". Do I correctly gather that

development of the feature is thereby "temporarily abandoned"?

The feature was completed early 2012. Early 2013 we added bridge support
and we continued evolving it. At the end of 2013 we reoriented toward
webrtc based video confs and support for that specific feature in the rich
client hasn't been touched since. It should work on a number of cases but
there are glitches and we are NOT working on fixing then.

Might I ask why the priority is on the web app first when you have built

a client

Because, paying rent and putting bread on the table are significantly
easier that way.

(perhaps moving on to more fun development, challenging Hangouts instead

of Skype)?

All of the work we have done is equally fun, so no. This hasn't been part
of the equation.

Anyway, now that the jit.si servers have come back online I'll test if it

works with the special configuration.

I am not sure that jit.si's bridge is actually up now. Will have a look
when I am back in front of a PC (unless someone beats me to it).

Cheers,
Emil

> From: emcho@jitsi.org
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:57:09 +0100

> To: users@jitsi.org
> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi
>
> Hey Connor,
>
> > Hi Emil,
> >
> > Good to hear jit.si is back, but I already explained why I can't use

Jitsi

> > Meet.
>
> Oh, OK I hadn't noticed this:
>
> > I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and
> > I would like a software client anyway.
>
> That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
> which is a perfectly free/libre browser.
>
> Also, Firefox support is on the way.
>
> > Is Jitsi not capable of videoconferencing itself?
>
> It is. You can add people to a call or create calls with a number of
> people to invite. That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is
> not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started
> work on Jitsi Meet.
>
> Cheers,
> Emil
>
>
>
>
>
> > Connor
> >
> >
> >> From: emcho@jitsi.org
> >> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:24:47 +0100
> >> To: users@jitsi.org
> >> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi
> >
> >>
> >> Hey Conor,
> >>
> >> Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.
> >>
> >> As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try
> >> https://meet.jit.si
> >>
> >> Emil
> >>
> >> > Hello User group,
> >> >
> >> > I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching

for a

> >> > gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and

recommend

> >> > to
> >> > others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost

before I

> >> > found
> >> > Jitsi!
> >> > I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be

the

> >> > only
> >> > such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have

not

> >> > had
> >> > much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do

two-way

> >> > video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.
> >> >
> >> > I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a

Videobridge,

> >> > and
> >> > added two (or one) people to the conference and got
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:

> >> > Failed
> >> > to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6
> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)

> >> > Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a

currently

> >> > supported Transport
> >> > at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)
> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)

> >> > at
> >> >
> >> >

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)

> >> > ... 6 more
> >> >
> >> > And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item
> >> > (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)
> >> > suggesting I
> >> > add these configuration settings:
> >> > org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true
> >> > org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false
> >> > However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server

seems

> >> > to
> >> > have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least

all of

> >> > my
> >> > computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a
> >> > person,
> >> > I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a

given

> >> > user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you
> >> > attempted to
> >> > view more.
> >> >
> >> > Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I

could

> >> > find
> >> > next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact

that

> >> > it
> >> > isn't possible yet?
> >> > I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I

would

···

On 31 Dec 2014 10:44 AM, "Connor Doherty" <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:
> >> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> > > >> wrote:
> >> > like a software client anyway.
> >> >
> >> > Connor Doherty
> >> > (848) 218-0683
> >> > connordoherty@member.fsf.org
> >> >
> >> > _______________________________________________
> >> > users mailing list
> >> > users@jitsi.org
> >> > Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> >> > http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> https://jitsi.org
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> users mailing list
> >> users@jitsi.org
> >> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> >> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users@jitsi.org
> > Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> > http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>
>
>
> --
> https://jitsi.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users@jitsi.org
> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#12

For the record, Debian includes chromium and Fedora doesn't. I didn't
check why Fedora doesn't but I suspect this is related to embedded
libraries (an issue with both browsers) or maybe lack of maintainers
willing to maintain this difficult package (See also
http://www.iuculano.it/linux/apt-get-purge-chromium/ ).

Yesterday a Fedora guy here gave up trying Jitsi Meet due to the browser
issue.

···

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:14:40AM +0100, Emil Ivov wrote:

On 31 Dec 2014 10:44 AM, "Connor Doherty" <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:
>
> Emil -
>
> > That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
> > which is a perfectly free/libre browser.
>
> I'm aware of Chromium, let me be clearer - I can't use software
unacceptable for inclusion in a fully free distribution (like mine).
> Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium.

While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is
likely to take us on a very offtopicy path.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend


#13

While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is likely to take us on a very off-topicy path.

Sorry Emil, I didn't realize the mailing list would strip out my URLs; I had a link in every other word to demonstrate my points and didn't spell them out 'cause it's ugly. Allow me to substitute one back in:

Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium (http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser)

If you disagree you can take it up with them there.

Because, paying rent and putting bread on the table are significantly easier that way.

Are you insinuating that you a) make money, and more of it from Jitsi Meet than the client and b) Are struggling with making money/donations? This came out of left field and I'm sorry to hear that - see Mr. Smith's comment.

How is this different from installing or having your friends install a rich client?

Oh in about a million ways. Excuse the analogy, but If Jitsi is a powerful (rich) airplane that can go anywhere in the world, then installing a second browser for one site - is like getting a big empty aircraft hangar instead, with one tiny plane that can only travel to one location.
Not to mention the overhead of a browser on legacy computers where videoconference participants are working (or presenting!) in other software. I can list reasons if you're still unsure. The rich client is great and does just about everything you could ask, but now they would have to get a second browser in addition to installing the rich client - for one feature.
...Unless you're suggesting people drop the client altogether in favor of Meet.

Besides, I think the name Meet says it all - it's for a quick
hookup to a given person across the net by simply sharing a URL and
getting them in with a few clicks for the first time - for low-friction,
instant connectivity with no bulk and no features. Not for continued
conferences with regular or even professional contacts for the rest of
time. I think of it like using my quick, light webmail from a public computer instead of the full and useful email suite I have installed at home. Maybe that's just my take, but wouldn't you want the meet website to get visitors, seeing what it can do, interested in installing your full product?

there are glitches and we are NOT working on fixing them.

Well then, I guess I'll stop asking about them.

development of multistream support in Firefox is currently taking place.

We are working together with FF developers to make sure Meet and Jitsi
Videobridge are compatible with the FF

All of the work we have done is equally fun, so no. This hasn't been part of the equation.

I'll take your word for it, Emil.

-Connor

···

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:14:40 +0100
From: emcho@jitsi.org
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

On 31 Dec 2014 10:44 AM, "Connor Doherty" <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

Emil -

> That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,

> which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

I'm aware of Chromium, let me be clearer - I can't use software unacceptable for inclusion in a fully free distribution (like mine).

Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium.

While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is likely to take us on a very offtopicy path.

That said, I'm not excited about installing a whole additional browser just for a single webapp anyway

(remember those I communicate would have to do so as well).

How is this different from installing or having your friends install a rich client?

Which brings me to your point about Mozilla-based browsers:

> Also, Firefox support is on the way.

Is it though?

Yes.

The "Chrome only" page refers to Bug #977864, which has status RESOLVED WONTFIX. The discussion (debate?) which took place on that page seemed bleak for jitsi development and certainly hasn't moved.

While that specific ticket is indeed closed development of multistream support in Firefox is currently taking place. We are working together with FF developers to make sure Meet and Jitsi Videobridge are compatible with the FF versions that will have that.

Regardless, I'd like to get the dedicated client working before I have niceties such as a webapp:

>That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is

> not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started

> work on Jitsi Meet.

I wonder what you mean by "support". Do I correctly gather that development of the feature is thereby "temporarily abandoned"?

The feature was completed early 2012. Early 2013 we added bridge support and we continued evolving it. At the end of 2013 we reoriented toward webrtc based video confs and support for that specific feature in the rich client hasn't been touched since. It should work on a number of cases but there are glitches and we are NOT working on fixing then.

Might I ask why the priority is on the web app first when you have built a client

Because, paying rent and putting bread on the table are significantly easier that way.

(perhaps moving on to more fun development, challenging Hangouts instead of Skype)?

All of the work we have done is equally fun, so no. This hasn't been part of the equation.

Anyway, now that the jit.si servers have come back online I'll test if it works with the special configuration.

I am not sure that jit.si's bridge is actually up now. Will have a look when I am back in front of a PC (unless someone beats me to it).
Cheers,

Emil

> From: emcho@jitsi.org

> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:57:09 +0100

> To: users@jitsi.org

> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

>

> Hey Connor,

>

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

> > Hi Emil,

> >

> > Good to hear jit.si is back, but I already explained why I can't use Jitsi

> > Meet.

>

> Oh, OK I hadn't noticed this:

>

> > I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and

> > I would like a software client anyway.

>

> That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,

> which is a perfectly free/libre browser.

>

> Also, Firefox support is on the way.

>

> > Is Jitsi not capable of videoconferencing itself?

>

> It is. You can add people to a call or create calls with a number of

> people to invite. That said, video conferencing in the Jitsi client is

> not something that we have been able to support a lot since we started

> work on Jitsi Meet.

>

> Cheers,

> Emil

>

>

>

>

>

> > Connor

> >

> >

> >> From: emcho@jitsi.org

> >> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:24:47 +0100

> >> To: users@jitsi.org

> >> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

> >

> >>

> >> Hey Conor,

> >>

> >> Indeed there seemed to be a problem with jit.si. Should be ok now.

> >>

> >> As for videoconferencing, it might be easier for you to try

> >> https://meet.jit.si

> >>

> >> Emil

> >>

> >> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> > > >> wrote:

> >> > Hello User group,

> >> >

> >> > I'm a member of the Free Software Foundation and I was searching for a

> >> > gratis and free videoconferencing solution I can both use and recommend

> >> > to

> >> > others instead of Skype or OoVoo. It seemed all hope was lost before I

> >> > found

> >> > Jitsi!

> >> > I need Jitsi to do videoconferencing because it may very well be the

> >> > only

> >> > such solution in the world right now. As excited as I was, I have not

> >> > had

> >> > much luck! Creating two jit.si accounts, I was easily able to do two-way

> >> > video calls. Adding a third, however is not so straightforward.

> >> >

> >> > I learned about your videobridge so I tried Tools> Create a Videobridge,

> >> > and

> >> > added two (or one) people to the conference and got

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException:

> >> > Failed

> >> > to create a call to connor2@jit.si/jitsi-36chai6

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:2651)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:449)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:271)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:310)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.doInviteCalleeToCall(OperationSetTelephonyConferencingJabberImpl.java:33)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.media.AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.createConfCall(AbstractOperationSetTelephonyConferencing.java:368)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.createConfCall(OperationSetVideoBridgeImpl.java:92)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$InviteToConferenceBridgeThread.run(CallManager.java:3145)

> >> > Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: ssltcp is not a currently

> >> > supported Transport

> >> > at org.ice4j.Transport.parse(Transport.java:107)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.IceUdpTransportManager.startConnectivityEstablishment(IceUdpTransportManager.java:940)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.harvestCandidates(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:1176)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.createContentList(CallPeerMediaHandlerJabberImpl.java:468)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallPeerJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallPeerJabberImpl.java:344)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.CallJabberImpl.initiateSession(CallJabberImpl.java:773)

> >> > at

> >> >

> >> > net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonyJabberImpl.java:430)

> >> > ... 6 more

> >> >

> >> > And it took a lot of searching before I found a mailing list item

> >> > (http://lists.jitsi.org/pipermail/dev/2014-October/022268.html)

> >> > suggesting I

> >> > add these configuration settings:

> >> > org.jitsi.videobridge.DISABLE_TCP_HARVESTER=true

> >> > org.jitsi.videobridge.TCP_HARVESTER_SSLTCP=false

> >> > However, I can't test the new settings because the jit.si server seems

> >> > to

> >> > have gone down (and still down for a few hours now) or at least all of

> >> > my

> >> > computers think so. When I try doing a videoconference and adding a

> >> > person,

> >> > I had gotten voice but only one person's video could be shown to a given

> >> > user at a time and it would simply switch between them when you

> >> > attempted to

> >> > view more.

> >> >

> >> > Was I wrong in thinking Jitsi could do videoconferencing today? I could

> >> > find

> >> > next to nothing on the topic online, so perhaps it's a known fact that

> >> > it

> >> > isn't possible yet?

> >> > I can't use jitsi Meet because it requires a nonfree browser and I would

> >> > like a software client anyway.

> >> >

> >> > Connor Doherty

> >> > (848) 218-0683

> >> > connordoherty@member.fsf.org

> >> >

> >> > _______________________________________________

> >> > users mailing list

> >> > users@jitsi.org

> >> > Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

> >> > http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> --

> >> https://jitsi.org

> >>

> >> _______________________________________________

> >> users mailing list

> >> users@jitsi.org

> >> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

> >> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

> >

> > _______________________________________________

> > users mailing list

> > users@jitsi.org

> > Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

> > http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

>

>

>

> --

> https://jitsi.org

>

> _______________________________________________

> users mailing list

> users@jitsi.org

> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________

users mailing list

users@jitsi.org

Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#14

if the major bottleneck in further development of Jitsi client is in
lacking financial support (which is probably always the case in open
source projects like this) I am very willing to donate!

Where are the possibilities to financially support Jitsi client
development (as I am not able to provide patches) ?

thx and a Happy Successful New Year, with a global break-through in
usage of Jitsi (client)! WebRTC will make its way anyway after FF
supports it fully...

MS

···

On 12/31/14 11:14 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

> I wonder what you mean by "support". Do I correctly gather that
development of the feature is thereby "temporarily abandoned"?

The feature was completed early 2012. Early 2013 we added bridge
support and we continued evolving it. At the end of 2013 we reoriented
toward webrtc based video confs and support for that specific feature
in the rich client hasn't been touched since. It should work on a
number of cases but there are glitches and we are NOT working on
fixing then.

> Might I ask why the priority is on the web app first when you have
built a client

Because, paying rent and putting bread on the table are significantly
easier that way.


#15

> Also, Firefox support is on the way.
Is it though?

Yes.

The "Chrome only" page refers to Bug #977864, which has status

RESOLVED WONTFIX. The discussion (debate?) which took place on that page
seemed bleak for jitsi development and certainly hasn't moved.

While that specific ticket is indeed closed development of multistream
support in Firefox is currently taking place. We are working together
with FF developers to make sure Meet and Jitsi Videobridge are
compatible with the FF versions that will have that.

This is good news: I, too, seeing the 'wontfix' label was a bit worried
about Firefox compatibility!

Bests,

Daniele


#16

(See also http://www.iuculano.it/linux/apt-get-purge-chromium/ ).

Thank you for that link about the Chromium nightmare. Very eye-opening!

···

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 12:28:02 +0100
From: tzafrir@cohens.org.il
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:14:40AM +0100, Emil Ivov wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2014 10:44 AM, "Connor Doherty" <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:
> >
> > Emil -
> >
> > > That's actually not true. You can very well use Jitsi with Chromium,
> > > which is a perfectly free/libre browser.
> >
> > I'm aware of Chromium, let me be clearer - I can't use software
> unacceptable for inclusion in a fully free distribution (like mine).
> > Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium.
>
> While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is
> likely to take us on a very offtopicy path.

For the record, Debian includes chromium and Fedora doesn't. I didn't
check why Fedora doesn't but I suspect this is related to embedded
libraries (an issue with both browsers) or maybe lack of maintainers
willing to maintain this difficult package (See also
http://www.iuculano.it/linux/apt-get-purge-chromium/ ).

Yesterday a Fedora guy here gave up trying Jitsi Meet due to the browser
issue.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#17

It mentions two problems:

1) copyright is not clear
The issue: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=28291

Basically someone used licensecheck and tried verifying that every
source file has a license statement. licensecheck is a pretty stupid
tool. Handy for initial review of a code base, but has its limits.
Getting a clear output from it is a worthy goal, but the fact that it
isn't, does not mean that the software is not free. Here is an example
blocking bug (the first in the list):

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=98087

Two files in the embedded copy of ICU carry no license statement. I
can't find this file in the version included in Debian. The problem was
probably was probably resolved. And anyway, it was probably a non-issue
(maybe even simply a parsing issue. Or a file not important enough to
include a copyright statement).

http://sources.debian.net/src/chromium-browser/39.0.2171.71-2/third_party/icu/

I suspect all or at least most other blockers of that issue are similar.
This is not about non-free code. This is about "may contain non-free
code".

2) Links to proprietary plugins

Nothing in the software itself is non-free. Feel free to remove the
code that offends you.

···

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 03:27:40PM -0500, Connor Doherty wrote:

> While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is likely to take us on a very off-topicy path.
Sorry Emil, I didn't realize the mailing list would strip out my URLs; I had a link in every other word to demonstrate my points and didn't spell them out 'cause it's ugly. Allow me to substitute one back in:
>>Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium (http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser)
If you disagree you can take it up with them there.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend


#18

there are glitches and we are NOT working on fixing them.

Well then, I guess I'll stop asking about them.

development of multistream support in Firefox is currently taking place.

We

are working together with FF developers to make sure Meet and Jitsi
Videobridge are compatible with the FF
All of the work we have done is equally fun, so no. This hasn't been part

of

the equation.

I'll take your word for it, Emil.

The problem with video conferences in the client aren't only about fun,
interest and the bread & butter for the families. There's also a technical
problem which we're not sure we can solve at all, and even then it would be
hard to maintain. This is a) the whole UI, and b) video decoding (and c) to
some minor extent accessing the Webcam with encoding).

We tried to replace the UI (which is currently entirely written in Swing)
with CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) so we could share code between the
two products and to make UI development in general a lot easier. I don't
know the exact current state of it as it was done internally at BlueJimp,
but AFAIK the main problem is getting a control into it. And as it contains
parts of Chromium again, it probably wouldn't solve your problem of being in
your definition of free.

Another idea was to use JavaFX, however we never really looked into it
because it wasn't part of OpenJDK. Now that it is, it might be worth looking
at it again. But again, JavaFX with WebKit and all its libraries may not
fall into your definition of free. I'm actually surprised not find anything
related to Java on that page you linked.

b) and c) could probably be taken care of with a lot less effort. There's
even a branch doing hardware rendering in our repository from a now mostly
inactive contributor.

So, while fundraising and the donations might help, it would probably
require a substantial amount of money. Given how few attention Jitsi
(especially the desktop client) gets despite all the spy news, I don't
really see that happening. (Yeah, I'm a known pessimist.)

-Connor

Ingo


#19

+1 on the idea. If not, state the required time/cost to put the Jitsi
client on par with jitsi meet, and then start a crowdsourcing effort
on some site like Tilt or GoFundMe.com

https://www.tilt.com/learn

I'm not specially fond of the idea of "every software runs on the web
browser" nor the HTML5/JScript dogma emanating from the Mozzarella
Foundation et al... I'd prefer a stand-alone, cross platform app that does
the job well...

Don't think just "PC" think IoT and embedded devices....

Just my $0.02
FC

···

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Mr.Smith <mr.smith476@gmail.com> wrote:

if the major bottleneck in further development of Jitsi client is in
lacking financial support (which is probably always the case in open
source projects like this) I am very willing to donate!

Where are the possibilities to financially support Jitsi client
development (as I am not able to provide patches) ?

--
During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell


#20

I didn't say it was non-free, I clarified that it was unacceptable for free distributions as shown - where "may contain non-free code" is still an issue.

Feel free to remove the code that "offends" you.

I do "feel free", and it doesn't "offend" me. This already been done: To Firefox. And it comes with my OS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat
So I hope I don't have to explain why learning the Chromium codebase, modifying it to fit with a distribution, recompiling it myself for all possible architectures and then shipping it out to those I might want to connect to is not a sustainable solution to the Jitsi Meet problem.

···

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 22:50:29 +0100
From: tzafrir@cohens.org.il
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Videoconferencing in Jitsi

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 03:27:40PM -0500, Connor Doherty wrote:
> > While I certainly disagree, I am not going to comment on this as it is likely to take us on a very off-topicy path.
> Sorry Emil, I didn't realize the mailing list would strip out my URLs; I had a link in every other word to demonstrate my points and didn't spell them out 'cause it's ugly. Allow me to substitute one back in:
> >>Unfortunately, that excludes Chromium (http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser)
> If you disagree you can take it up with them there.
>

It mentions two problems:

1) copyright is not clear
The issue: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=28291

Basically someone used licensecheck and tried verifying that every
source file has a license statement. licensecheck is a pretty stupid
tool. Handy for initial review of a code base, but has its limits.
Getting a clear output from it is a worthy goal, but the fact that it
isn't, does not mean that the software is not free. Here is an example
blocking bug (the first in the list):

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=98087

Two files in the embedded copy of ICU carry no license statement. I
can't find this file in the version included in Debian. The problem was
probably was probably resolved. And anyway, it was probably a non-issue
(maybe even simply a parsing issue. Or a file not important enough to
include a copyright statement).

http://sources.debian.net/src/chromium-browser/39.0.2171.71-2/third_party/icu/

I suspect all or at least most other blockers of that issue are similar.
This is not about non-free code. This is about "may contain non-free
code".

2) Links to proprietary plugins

Nothing in the software itself is non-free. Feel free to remove the
code that offends you.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
tzafrir@debian.org | | friend

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users