[jitsi-users] "Video turned off to save bandwidth" on meet.jit.si

Were your tests with more than two participants?

Yes, up to eight. One Sender and seven receiver with muted audio and video.

The case where it reports LD is sent and uploads 3K with vp8 in that case the video was turned off for some/all clients? And that uploader was FF, right?

Yes, the uploader was Firefox and the video was turned off for some clients.

I ran another test using the exact same scenario only with different jvb versions.

Test 1 with JVB 2.1-416-g2f43d1b4-1 (12.1.2021)
No log outputs mentioning bandwith suspension.

Test 2 with JVB 2.1-538-g062e9f56-1 (16.8.2021)
Frequently: BandwidthAllocator.allocate#359: Endpoints were suspended due to insufficient bandwidth (bwe=3188938 bps)

The overall user experience is way better with the January version. For example in classroom or live performance situations it is even essential.

So for the time being I switched back. Unfortunaly I can’t use the UI improvements which are very nice especially on mobile devices.

It seems that I am not the only one who is affected by it.
Is there any chance that this issue will be fixed? Can I do somehow help to make it happen?

Have you tried setting trust-bwe=false in the JVB config ? We had the same issue (BandwidthAllocator.allocate: Endpoints were suspended due to insufficient bandwidth) quite frequently, especially with Firefox, and disabling the bandwidth estimator solved it.

I was not sure whether simulcast works with bwe=false. But it seems to work.
When I turn off bwe and use Chrome as a sender it works. I’ll perform some more tests.

The problem with turning off BWE is that JVB won’t suspend endpoints when the receiver doesn’t have enough bandwidth to receive them, so users with restricted bandwidth may just face random packet loss (caused by sending at a faster rate than they can receive) instead of suspended streams. Random packet loss may even affect audio. Some suspended video streams are probably preferable to choppy audio.

trust-bwe=false may be fine in a particular environment where you are in full control of the network between all participants and sure of their connectivity. On the wider Internet or when anyone is using Wi-Fi, mobile data, etc, it’s a bit of a risk.

1 Like