[jitsi-users] video bridge

I also would like to see the video bridge properly working in Jitsi for many of the reasons others mentioned about Meet.

Specifically, I’m working with a non-profit foundation, and there are people spread all across the world who we want to do video conferencing with. Some of them are not technically savvy at all, and just getting them setup with Jitsi and Jabber was a task. Now that it’s done though, they are pleased to have secure chats, calls, and file transfers.

Asking them to use another piece of software is not going to fly. The whole point of us choosing Jitsi was because of all the features.

Also, using a browser is typically slower for everything that can be done in a standalone app, and using a browser as opposed to a standalone app built for security is adding another layer of vulnerability. All the papers I’ve read from security “experts” (and some of the people you mentioned) dissuade people from using browsers for security and to use standalone apps.

I would donate if I had the money, but don’t presently. That being said, it would be good to have a monetary value so we can see how many man hours it would take to fix this problem, and how much it will cost. You guys could even try to do a kickstarter project to raise the funds, or go fund me, and simultaneously throw out some petitions on other sites to raise awareness.

Also, combined with this, if people working with the free software foundation started mentioning this in all of their events/talks/interviews, I’m sure the money could be raised.

thanks

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this position, you summed it up very nicely.

Also, I'm a FSF member and I spread Jitsi news like crazy! However the funding problem you mentioned could be solved by a FANTASTIC project I found a few minutes ago: https://snowdrift.coop/. Check it out, we should definitely list Jitsi there in the near future.

connordoherty@member.fsf.org

···

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 15:53:27 -0500
To: users@jitsi.org
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] video bridge

I also would like to see the video bridge properly working in Jitsi for many of the reasons others mentioned about Meet.

Specifically, I’m working with a non-profit foundation, and there are people spread all across the world who we want to do video conferencing with. Some of them are not technically savvy at all, and just getting them setup with Jitsi and Jabber was a task. Now that it’s done though, they are pleased to have secure chats, calls, and file transfers.

Asking them to use another piece of software is not going to fly. The whole point of us choosing Jitsi was because of all the features.

Also, using a browser is typically slower for everything that can be done in a standalone app, and using a browser as opposed to a standalone app built for security is adding another layer of vulnerability. All the papers I’ve read from security “experts” (and some of the people you mentioned) dissuade people from using browsers for security and to use standalone apps.

I would donate if I had the money, but don’t presently. That being said, it would be good to have a monetary value so we can see how many man hours it would take to fix this problem, and how much it will cost. You guys could even try to do a kickstarter project to raise the funds, or go fund me, and simultaneously throw out some petitions on other sites to raise awareness.

Also, combined with this, if people working with the free software foundation started mentioning this in all of their events/talks/interviews, I’m sure the money could be raised.

thanks

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Hi,

I also would like to see the video bridge properly working in Jitsi for

many of the reasons others mentioned about Meet.

Then why not contribute code. It's open source after all.

Happy new year!

Best,
Jungle

···

On Dec 31, 2014 12:53 PM, "social@mr-d.org" <social@mr-d.org> wrote: