[jitsi-users] users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 19


#1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Hi all,

Finally getting back to Emil's questions and comments on these issues.
Comments in line:

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:32:12 +0300
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Jitsi Users <users@jitsi.org>
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Contact list and connection bugs in OSX
Message-ID: <539F1C0C.5080101@jitsi.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hey Gus,

BUG #1:
In both Mac 10.8 AND 10.9:
Open Add Contact window. Select SIP myaccount@ostel.co . I enter the
name of the contact in ID or Number, WITHOUT adding ostel.co at the end.
Jitsi does not pop up an alert warning me this might be a problem or
asking me if I mean @ostel.co .
The contact is added to the list. Mousing over it, I see it is
registered as ContactName@ostel.co . When that contact is online,
however, Jitsi does not list them as online, and I cannot put a call
through to that contact.
When I try to initiate a chat, it opens the window and appears to send
text without any indication that the contact is invalid.
When I delete that contact, and add it again as ContactName@ostel.co,
Jitsi DOES list them as online when they are online.
I have tried this process in adding two separate contacts, both of whom
were on ostel.co .

THE PROBLEM:
This makes it look to the user as if the ostel.co contact has been added
without any problems, but then it looks as if their contacts are never
online.

RECOMMEND:
1) Separate the workflows for registrarless SIP accounts and registrar
SIP accounts.
2) For ostel.co (and possibly other) registrar SIP accounts, prompt
users to add in the domain name if they only put in ID
OR
Fix the autocomplete that adds the registrar to IDs without registrar,
so that calls can successfully go through.

> Actually all of the above should be working with regular accounts. Your
> next BUG seems to indicate the tests above were performed with a
> registrarless account. Once you have a regular account (one that is
> attached to a specific server like ostel.co) you can freely add contact
> names by just their contact handle, without the domain part, and
> everything will work.

Actually, no. I do have an ostel.co account, and I had added it as such.
What I am saying is that when I have an ostel.co account, when I add a
contact name with no domain, Jitsi completes my contact's no-domain name
as @ostel.co visibly in the contact information for that account, and
then still does not treat that account as if it actually had @ostel.co
at the end. I think if you try re-creating this situation, you will get
the same result.

If you'd like me to document this with video or images I can probably do so.

> (It is important to note that a RegistrarLess account is one you create
> through the "Add new account..." dialog and where you only enter a
> username. This can only be a source of trouble so we generally advise
> strongly against it and I don't really know why we are still

allowing it).

> This has been a long source of confusing and we need to make
> RegistrarLess accounts a bit more hidden. Hristo do you think you can
> have a look at that in the following days?

Right, agreed -- the processes for registrar and registrarless account
creation should be separate, and registrarless should be hidden.

BUG #2:
In Mac 10.9:
In trying to fix the contact problem in Bug #1, I was able to add a
second account that was ContactName@ostel.co . When I did this, each
ContactName@ostel.co contact was able to see the chat history of the
other account. I assume it happened because Jitsi was seeing one as
registrarless, even though it had added ostel.co at the end of the ID.
(When I tried to re-create this problem a second time, Jitsi did warn me
that I had two contacts with the same address and wouldn't let me create
the second one. I am not sure how I was able to do it the first time, as
both times I made one account with just ContactName and one with
ContactName@ostel.co)

THE PROBLEM:
It is probably not good that two distinct contacts could be added with
the same ID. It is definitely not good that the chat history of one is
displayed for the other.

RECOMMEND:
1) Make sure that the check to see if an address is a duplicate is
functioning correctly. I am assuming that distinguishing between
registrarless and registrar SIP accounts may help with this.
2) Ensure that the chat histories of accounts are indexed correctly.

> Probably caused by the same issue.

It seems likely, though this will be worth testing again when the
initial problem is fixed.

RECOMMEND:
When a user deletes a contact, prompt if they would like the chat
history for that contact erased as well.

> Agreed. We can try to address this in the following weeks. Could you
> please open a ticket (and pester us if you don't see any movement?).

Done :slight_smile: https://trac.jitsi.org/ticket/1291

BUG #4
In Mac 10.9:
I can't find a way to delete chat history. Unclicking "log chat history"
does not do it.

THE PROBLEM:
May be PEBCAC (Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair), i.e. it's my
fault I can't find this :wink: However, it should be relatively clear to
users how to do this. Again, for users in sensitive situations, it will
be important to make this an option.

RECOMMEND:
Put a "delete chat history" capability within the chat window.

> Did you try the "erase history" options in the history menu in the chat
> window?

I don't know how I missed that. That does work, though I needed to close
the chat window and open it again in order to see that it had worked.

BUG #5:
In Mac 10.9:
When there are two contacts with the same name, selecting "Remove
Contact" by right-clicking on the contact name sometimes doesn't work.

> I assume this might have had something to do with the registrarless
> account too. Could you please try and reproduce it after we fix it?

Will try again today.

BUG #6
In Mac 10.9:
After multiple times adding and deleting a contact while testing, a SIP
contact appropriately entered as ContactName@ostel.co did not appear as
online (grey icon, not green), when the contact confirmed to me in a
side channel that he was in fact online.

RECOMMEND:
Again, a technical problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. Try adding and
removing the same contact as registrarless and registrared multiple
times to re-create.

> I assume this was either due to the same cause, or it might have been
> related to SIP's general lack of stability for presence.

Huh. OK, I will test again.

RECOMMEND:
Don't allow two calls from the same caller; end one to begin another? I
am not sure whether two calls from the same caller is a desired attribute.

> Why is that? You can very well be getting a second call from what seems
> to be the same number but still have a different person calling you.

I think I see your point. With normal office phone numbers, frequently
multiple calls can originate from what appears to be the same number.
But is this also the case in SIP? Are SIP numbers not unique to a single
user?

BUG #10:
In Mac 10.9:
I was unable to establish an audio connection to the contact above at
any point. His install of Ubuntu seemed to be missing some audio drivers
(only PortAudio was available in his Options), so that may have been the
problem. However, Jitsi did not make it clear to either of us that that
was the problem; the connection simply never appeared to go through.

> Or it could have been the registrarless issue. Suggest you try again
> with regular accounts.

Will test again.

RECOMMEND:
More-specific messaging about the nature of the problem when a
connection does not go through.

BUG #11:
In Mac 10.8 -- this was with a different contact:
When a call was established, and my webcam was on, user on the other end
(using Ubuntu on a laptop with a built-in camera) heard a constant,
repeated high-pitched beeping noise, sort of like a heart monitor in a
hospital. Likewise, when the other user's webcam was on, I heard the
high-pitched beeping noise.

RECOMMEND:
Not sure if this is supposed to be a feature -- does the beep let you
know the other person can see you because their webcam is on? If it is a
feature, it needs to be clearer how to turn it off. If it is a bug, it
should be dealt with accordingly.

> We don't generate any beeps so it's certainly not a feature. Could it
> have been caused by the operating system?

It doesn't seem likely, given that I was on a Mac and my sister was on
Ubuntu, and the beeping happened to each of us...?

Now on to my Jitsi Meet issue reports :slight_smile: thanks for being so responsive!

Gus

- --
Gillian "Gus" Andrews
Senior Program Associate, Secure User Practices
Open Internet Tools Project
openitp.org

···

On 11.06.14, 19:04, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:


#2

Gah, realized I screwed up the subject line on my response before. Also,
I have a few more notes after a little more testing. So I'm sending this
again, with additional comments inline:

Hi all,

Finally getting back to Emil's questions and comments on these issues.
Comments in line:

> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:32:12 +0300
> From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
> To: Jitsi Users <users@jitsi.org>
> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Contact list and connection bugs in OSX
> Message-ID: <539F1C0C.5080101@jitsi.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

> Hey Gus,

>>

> BUG #1:
> In both Mac 10.8 AND 10.9:
> Open Add Contact window. Select SIP myaccount@ostel.co . I enter the
> name of the contact in ID or Number, WITHOUT adding ostel.co at the end.
> Jitsi does not pop up an alert warning me this might be a problem or
> asking me if I mean @ostel.co .
> The contact is added to the list. Mousing over it, I see it is
> registered as ContactName@ostel.co . When that contact is online,
> however, Jitsi does not list them as online, and I cannot put a call
> through to that contact.
> When I try to initiate a chat, it opens the window and appears to send
> text without any indication that the contact is invalid.
> When I delete that contact, and add it again as ContactName@ostel.co,
> Jitsi DOES list them as online when they are online.
> I have tried this process in adding two separate contacts, both of whom
> were on ostel.co .

> THE PROBLEM:
> This makes it look to the user as if the ostel.co contact has been added
> without any problems, but then it looks as if their contacts are never
> online.

> RECOMMEND:
> 1) Separate the workflows for registrarless SIP accounts and registrar
> SIP accounts.
> 2) For ostel.co (and possibly other) registrar SIP accounts, prompt
> users to add in the domain name if they only put in ID
> OR
> Fix the autocomplete that adds the registrar to IDs without registrar,
> so that calls can successfully go through.

>> Actually all of the above should be working with regular accounts. Your
>> next BUG seems to indicate the tests above were performed with a
>> registrarless account. Once you have a regular account (one that is
>> attached to a specific server like ostel.co) you can freely add contact
>> names by just their contact handle, without the domain part, and
>> everything will work.

Actually, no. I do have an ostel.co account, and I had added it as such.
What I am saying is that when I have an ostel.co account, when I add a
contact name with no domain, Jitsi completes my contact's no-domain name
as @ostel.co visibly in the contact information for that account, and
then still does not treat that account as if it actually had @ostel.co
at the end. I think if you try re-creating this situation, you will get
the same result.

If you'd like me to document this with video or images I can probably
do so.

I've got a bit more evidence on this now:

My friend's contact does not register as online whether I add his
address correctly (including @ostel.co at the end) or not correctly (no
registrar). He can call me, I can call him, but neither call goes through.

One thing we noticed � whether or not he adds his address correctly
(with @ostel.co or without @ostel.co), it does not register in

Accounts list view as @ostel.co. In my list, my

address registers as

In his, @ostel.co does not appear. I am not sure if that is because he
is on Ubuntu and I am on a Mac. It seemed worth investigating whether
this relates to the problem.

>> (It is important to note that a RegistrarLess account is one you create
>> through the "Add new account..." dialog and where you only enter a
>> username. This can only be a source of trouble so we generally advise
>> strongly against it and I don't really know why we are still
allowing it).

>> This has been a long source of confusing and we need to make
>> RegistrarLess accounts a bit more hidden. Hristo do you think you can
>> have a look at that in the following days?

Right, agreed -- the processes for registrar and registrarless account
creation should be separate, and registrarless should be hidden.

> BUG #2:
> In Mac 10.9:
> In trying to fix the contact problem in Bug #1, I was able to add a
> second account that was ContactName@ostel.co . When I did this, each
> ContactName@ostel.co contact was able to see the chat history of the
> other account. I assume it happened because Jitsi was seeing one as
> registrarless, even though it had added ostel.co at the end of the ID.
> (When I tried to re-create this problem a second time, Jitsi did warn me
> that I had two contacts with the same address and wouldn't let me create
> the second one. I am not sure how I was able to do it the first time, as
> both times I made one account with just ContactName and one with
> ContactName@ostel.co)

> THE PROBLEM:
> It is probably not good that two distinct contacts could be added with
> the same ID. It is definitely not good that the chat history of one is
> displayed for the other.

> RECOMMEND:
> 1) Make sure that the check to see if an address is a duplicate is
> functioning correctly. I am assuming that distinguishing between
> registrarless and registrar SIP accounts may help with this.
> 2) Ensure that the chat histories of accounts are indexed correctly.

>> Probably caused by the same issue.
It seems likely, though this will be worth testing again when the
initial problem is fixed.

> RECOMMEND:
> When a user deletes a contact, prompt if they would like the chat
> history for that contact erased as well.

>> Agreed. We can try to address this in the following weeks. Could you
>> please open a ticket (and pester us if you don't see any movement?).

Done :slight_smile: https://trac.jitsi.org/ticket/1291
> BUG #4
> In Mac 10.9:
> I can't find a way to delete chat history. Unclicking "log chat history"
> does not do it.

> THE PROBLEM:
> May be PEBCAC (Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair), i.e. it's my
> fault I can't find this :wink: However, it should be relatively clear to
> users how to do this. Again, for users in sensitive situations, it will
> be important to make this an option.

> RECOMMEND:
> Put a "delete chat history" capability within the chat window.

>> Did you try the "erase history" options in the history menu in the chat
>> window?

I don't know how I missed that. That does work, though I needed to close
the chat window and open it again in order to see that it had worked.

> BUG #5:
> In Mac 10.9:
> When there are two contacts with the same name, selecting "Remove
> Contact" by right-clicking on the contact name sometimes doesn't work.

>> I assume this might have had something to do with the registrarless
>> account too. Could you please try and reproduce it after we fix it?

Will try again today.

Was not able to reproduce.

> BUG #6
> In Mac 10.9:
> After multiple times adding and deleting a contact while testing, a SIP
> contact appropriately entered as ContactName@ostel.co did not appear as
> online (grey icon, not green), when the contact confirmed to me in a
> side channel that he was in fact online.

> RECOMMEND:
> Again, a technical problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. Try adding and
> removing the same contact as registrarless and registrared multiple
> times to re-create.

>> I assume this was either due to the same cause, or it might have been
>> related to SIP's general lack of stability for presence.
Huh. OK, I will test again.

Again, wondering if this is related to his account apparently not
registering that he entered it as @ostel.co.

> RECOMMEND:
> Don't allow two calls from the same caller; end one to begin another? I
> am not sure whether two calls from the same caller is a desired
attribute.

>> Why is that? You can very well be getting a second call from what seems
>> to be the same number but still have a different person calling you.
I think I see your point. With normal office phone numbers, frequently
multiple calls can originate from what appears to be the same number.
But is this also the case in SIP? Are SIP numbers not unique to a single
user?

> BUG #10:
> In Mac 10.9:
> I was unable to establish an audio connection to the contact above at
> any point. His install of Ubuntu seemed to be missing some audio drivers
> (only PortAudio was available in his Options), so that may have been the
> problem. However, Jitsi did not make it clear to either of us that that
> was the problem; the connection simply never appeared to go through.

>> Or it could have been the registrarless issue. Suggest you try again
>> with regular accounts.

Will test again.

We tested again, using GTalk accounts. It still did not work. I'll see
about getting him to install audio drivers.

Trying with GTalk accounts unfortunately also did not work:

I initiated a GTalk conversation. In chat view, I was able to see my
messages; he was able to see my messages; he was able to see his
messages; but his messages did not show up in my Jitsi chat window. They
*did* show up in the GMail window I had open, however. I was happy to
note that they were encrypted there.

When he attempted to initiate a call with me, he got this message:

···

On 6/24/14, 12:25 PM, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:

> On 11.06.14, 19:04, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:

> RECOMMEND:
> More-specific messaging about the nature of the problem when a
> connection does not go through.

> BUG #11:
> In Mac 10.8 -- this was with a different contact:
> When a call was established, and my webcam was on, user on the other end
> (using Ubuntu on a laptop with a built-in camera) heard a constant,
> repeated high-pitched beeping noise, sort of like a heart monitor in a
> hospital. Likewise, when the other user's webcam was on, I heard the
> high-pitched beeping noise.

> RECOMMEND:
> Not sure if this is supposed to be a feature -- does the beep let you
> know the other person can see you because their webcam is on? If it is a
> feature, it needs to be clearer how to turn it off. If it is a bug, it
> should be dealt with accordingly.

>> We don't generate any beeps so it's certainly not a feature. Could it
>> have been caused by the operating system?

It doesn't seem likely, given that I was on a Mac and my sister was on
Ubuntu, and the beeping happened to each of us...?

Now on to my Jitsi Meet issue reports :slight_smile: thanks for being so responsive!

Gus

--
Gillian "Gus" Andrews
Senior Program Associate, Secure User Practices
Open Internet Tools Project
openitp.org


#3

Hey Gus,

Gah, realized I screwed up the subject line on my response before. Also,
I have a few more notes after a little more testing. So I'm sending this
again, with additional comments inline:

Hi all,

Finally getting back to Emil's questions and comments on these issues.
Comments in line:

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:32:12 +0300
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Jitsi Users <users@jitsi.org>
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Contact list and connection bugs in OSX
Message-ID: <539F1C0C.5080101@jitsi.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hey Gus,

BUG #1:
In both Mac 10.8 AND 10.9:
Open Add Contact window. Select SIP myaccount@ostel.co . I enter the
name of the contact in ID or Number, WITHOUT adding ostel.co at the end.
Jitsi does not pop up an alert warning me this might be a problem or
asking me if I mean @ostel.co .
The contact is added to the list. Mousing over it, I see it is
registered as ContactName@ostel.co . When that contact is online,
however, Jitsi does not list them as online, and I cannot put a call
through to that contact.
When I try to initiate a chat, it opens the window and appears to send
text without any indication that the contact is invalid.
When I delete that contact, and add it again as ContactName@ostel.co,
Jitsi DOES list them as online when they are online.
I have tried this process in adding two separate contacts, both of whom
were on ostel.co .

THE PROBLEM:
This makes it look to the user as if the ostel.co contact has been added
without any problems, but then it looks as if their contacts are never
online.

RECOMMEND:
1) Separate the workflows for registrarless SIP accounts and registrar
SIP accounts.
2) For ostel.co (and possibly other) registrar SIP accounts, prompt
users to add in the domain name if they only put in ID
OR
Fix the autocomplete that adds the registrar to IDs without registrar,
so that calls can successfully go through.

Actually all of the above should be working with regular accounts. Your
next BUG seems to indicate the tests above were performed with a
registrarless account. Once you have a regular account (one that is
attached to a specific server like ostel.co) you can freely add contact
names by just their contact handle, without the domain part, and
everything will work.

Actually, no. I do have an ostel.co account, and I had added it as such.
What I am saying is that when I have an ostel.co account, when I add a
contact name with no domain, Jitsi completes my contact's no-domain name
as @ostel.co visibly in the contact information for that account, and
then still does not treat that account as if it actually had @ostel.co
at the end. I think if you try re-creating this situation, you will get
the same result.

I tried recreating the situation as soon as you reported but haven't been able to. Hence my questions.

Now, note that SIP presence is a think that depends *a lot* on the server and with SIP it is *very* often misconfigured. That's why we generally recommend use of RFC7081 for presence: Combined Use of SIP And XMPP (CUSAX).

If you'd like me to document this with video or images I can probably
do so.

I've got a bit more evidence on this now:

My friend's contact does not register as online whether I add his
address correctly (including @ostel.co at the end) or not correctly (no
registrar). He can call me, I can call him, but neither call goes through.

One thing we noticed � whether or not he adds his address correctly
(with @ostel.co or without @ostel.co), it does not register in
>>Accounts list view as @ostel.co. In my list, my
address registers as

Do you think you could ask your friend to provide a screenshot of their account configuration panel? The one where all their accounts are listed?

In his, @ostel.co does not appear. I am not sure if that is because he
is on Ubuntu and I am on a Mac. It seemed worth investigating whether
this relates to the problem.

There's no difference in the code for Linux and OS X here and the only way your friend's account can appear without the @ostel.co is if is a registrarless one. If that is the case then nothing else would work reliably. Hence my request for the screenshot.

Emil

···

On 26.06.14, 23:06, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:

On 6/24/14, 12:25 PM, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:

On 11.06.14, 19:04, Gillian "Gus" Andrews wrote:

(It is important to note that a RegistrarLess account is one you create
through the "Add new account..." dialog and where you only enter a
username. This can only be a source of trouble so we generally advise
strongly against it and I don't really know why we are still

allowing it).

This has been a long source of confusing and we need to make
RegistrarLess accounts a bit more hidden. Hristo do you think you can
have a look at that in the following days?

Right, agreed -- the processes for registrar and registrarless account
creation should be separate, and registrarless should be hidden.

BUG #2:
In Mac 10.9:
In trying to fix the contact problem in Bug #1, I was able to add a
second account that was ContactName@ostel.co . When I did this, each
ContactName@ostel.co contact was able to see the chat history of the
other account. I assume it happened because Jitsi was seeing one as
registrarless, even though it had added ostel.co at the end of the ID.
(When I tried to re-create this problem a second time, Jitsi did warn me
that I had two contacts with the same address and wouldn't let me create
the second one. I am not sure how I was able to do it the first time, as
both times I made one account with just ContactName and one with
ContactName@ostel.co)

THE PROBLEM:
It is probably not good that two distinct contacts could be added with
the same ID. It is definitely not good that the chat history of one is
displayed for the other.

RECOMMEND:
1) Make sure that the check to see if an address is a duplicate is
functioning correctly. I am assuming that distinguishing between
registrarless and registrar SIP accounts may help with this.
2) Ensure that the chat histories of accounts are indexed correctly.

Probably caused by the same issue.

It seems likely, though this will be worth testing again when the
initial problem is fixed.

RECOMMEND:
When a user deletes a contact, prompt if they would like the chat
history for that contact erased as well.

Agreed. We can try to address this in the following weeks. Could you
please open a ticket (and pester us if you don't see any movement?).

Done :slight_smile: https://trac.jitsi.org/ticket/1291

BUG #4
In Mac 10.9:
I can't find a way to delete chat history. Unclicking "log chat history"
does not do it.

THE PROBLEM:
May be PEBCAC (Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair), i.e. it's my
fault I can't find this :wink: However, it should be relatively clear to
users how to do this. Again, for users in sensitive situations, it will
be important to make this an option.

RECOMMEND:
Put a "delete chat history" capability within the chat window.

Did you try the "erase history" options in the history menu in the chat
window?

I don't know how I missed that. That does work, though I needed to close
the chat window and open it again in order to see that it had worked.

BUG #5:
In Mac 10.9:
When there are two contacts with the same name, selecting "Remove
Contact" by right-clicking on the contact name sometimes doesn't work.

I assume this might have had something to do with the registrarless
account too. Could you please try and reproduce it after we fix it?

Will try again today.

Was not able to reproduce.

BUG #6
In Mac 10.9:
After multiple times adding and deleting a contact while testing, a SIP
contact appropriately entered as ContactName@ostel.co did not appear as
online (grey icon, not green), when the contact confirmed to me in a
side channel that he was in fact online.

RECOMMEND:
Again, a technical problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. Try adding and
removing the same contact as registrarless and registrared multiple
times to re-create.

I assume this was either due to the same cause, or it might have been
related to SIP's general lack of stability for presence.

Huh. OK, I will test again.

Again, wondering if this is related to his account apparently not
registering that he entered it as @ostel.co.

RECOMMEND:
Don't allow two calls from the same caller; end one to begin another? I
am not sure whether two calls from the same caller is a desired

attribute.

Why is that? You can very well be getting a second call from what seems
to be the same number but still have a different person calling you.

I think I see your point. With normal office phone numbers, frequently
multiple calls can originate from what appears to be the same number.
But is this also the case in SIP? Are SIP numbers not unique to a single
user?

BUG #10:
In Mac 10.9:
I was unable to establish an audio connection to the contact above at
any point. His install of Ubuntu seemed to be missing some audio drivers
(only PortAudio was available in his Options), so that may have been the
problem. However, Jitsi did not make it clear to either of us that that
was the problem; the connection simply never appeared to go through.

Or it could have been the registrarless issue. Suggest you try again
with regular accounts.

Will test again.

We tested again, using GTalk accounts. It still did not work. I'll see
about getting him to install audio drivers.

Trying with GTalk accounts unfortunately also did not work:

I initiated a GTalk conversation. In chat view, I was able to see my
messages; he was able to see my messages; he was able to see his
messages; but his messages did not show up in my Jitsi chat window. They
*did* show up in the GMail window I had open, however. I was happy to
note that they were encrypted there.

When he attempted to initiate a call with me, he got this message:

RECOMMEND:
More-specific messaging about the nature of the problem when a
connection does not go through.

BUG #11:
In Mac 10.8 -- this was with a different contact:
When a call was established, and my webcam was on, user on the other end
(using Ubuntu on a laptop with a built-in camera) heard a constant,
repeated high-pitched beeping noise, sort of like a heart monitor in a
hospital. Likewise, when the other user's webcam was on, I heard the
high-pitched beeping noise.

RECOMMEND:
Not sure if this is supposed to be a feature -- does the beep let you
know the other person can see you because their webcam is on? If it is a
feature, it needs to be clearer how to turn it off. If it is a bug, it
should be dealt with accordingly.

We don't generate any beeps so it's certainly not a feature. Could it
have been caused by the operating system?

It doesn't seem likely, given that I was on a Mac and my sister was on
Ubuntu, and the beeping happened to each of us...?

Now on to my Jitsi Meet issue reports :slight_smile: thanks for being so responsive!

Gus

--
https://jitsi.org