[jitsi-users] Tray icon missed calls notification

Hi, after 2 years since my last serious attempt to get used to Jitsi and its pecularities/bugs, now I'm again trying to ditch skype in favor of jitsi. I use it for a week or so as my main messenger (still alongside skype though). But there is one thing that bugs me to the level of stopping using it altogether.
If someone calls me and I miss the call (being away from the computer) there is absolutely no clue in the tray icon that I've missed calls. I cannot allow (afford) to stay unnotified of these. I cannot remember to regularly open the main window and look at the History button for red missed calls.
Jitsi should mark or change its tray icon (I'm on Windows 7) to alert us if there are any missed events. I keep it in the tray only, all the time.
Jitsi seems a bit better than back in 2013 but just a bit. Still it's the most potentially appealing client that I want to see get better and one day to be able to use it reliably.
If you are after a professional client, this functionality should be there. Missing a call for hours or days and not even suspecting you missed a call could be very damaging.

Two more glitches.
1) The history of calls (after clicking the clock button) loads exceptionally slow, even when there are 20-30 entries. I cannot imagine if there are hundreds!
2) If I receive a text message, the chat window opens Ok, but the flashing in the taskbar continues indefinitely. This is very annoying. It should act like every other program, at least an option to flash 3 times and stop (with the flashing color stuck until activated).

And by the way, are you going to provide a proper forum for these requests/reports etc.? Mailing lists are very cumbersome for todays users and not only - it's a very antiquated and convoluted way to stay in touch with potentially helping users/reporters etc.

Thanks.

Hi, after 2 years since my last serious attempt to get used to Jitsi and
its pecularities/bugs, now I'm again trying to ditch skype in favor of
jitsi. I use it for a week or so as my main messenger (still alongside
skype though). But there is one thing that bugs me to the level of
stopping using it altogether.
If someone calls me and I miss the call (being away from the computer)
there is absolutely no clue in the tray icon that I've missed calls. I
cannot allow (afford) to stay unnotified of these. I cannot remember to
regularly open the main window and look at the History button for red
missed calls.
Jitsi should mark or change its tray icon (I'm on Windows 7) to alert us
if there are any missed events. I keep it in the tray only, all the time.
Jitsi seems a bit better than back in 2013 but just a bit. Still it's
the most potentially appealing client that I want to see get better and
one day to be able to use it reliably.
If you are after a professional client, this functionality should be
there. Missing a call for hours or days and not even suspecting you
missed a call could be very damaging.

I will eventually look at that as it's something I need to too. You can open an issue at Github if you like.

Two more glitches.
1) The history of calls (after clicking the clock button) loads
exceptionally slow, even when there are 20-30 entries. I cannot imagine
if there are hundreds!

I don't notice anything special. My history lies on a network drive and it loads fine. And it's asynchronous, so it doesn't block the UI either.

2) If I receive a text message, the chat window opens Ok, but the
flashing in the taskbar continues indefinitely. This is very annoying.
It should act like every other program, at least an option to flash 3
times and stop (with the flashing color stuck until activated).

I'm currently not sure if this is a bug in Jitsi or Java. Anyway, it's not something that's currently serious enough to invest time in it. Contributions would be welcome.

And by the way, are you going to provide a proper forum for these
requests/reports etc.? Mailing lists are very cumbersome for todays
users and not only - it's a very antiquated and convoluted way to stay
in touch with potentially helping users/reporters etc.

No. The mailing list is the only way for us to keep halfway up to date with requests. A forum isn't any better because it requires users to create yet another useless account.

Thanks.

Ingo

I will eventually look at that as it's something I need to too. You can open an issue at Github if you like.

It's more for a feature request, not an actual issue.
I will probably use my time to workaround this by writing an AHK script that adds another icon in the tray when there is an incomming call, which will be removed when the Jitsi window gains focus (presumably then I'll see the red-ish History icon).

I don't notice anything special. My history lies on a network drive and it loads fine. And it's asynchronous, so it doesn't block the UI either.

I have a standard Jitsi installation on Windows 7 x64. Yes, it is asynchronous, but populating the list is tremendously slow. I guess it's just a UI glitch, not a disk-access or something. If the list grows big (say, 100 or more), I guess it will become almost unusable. Maybe again a Java glitch. Reproducible on two machines. This thing alone is enough to become a "deal-breaker".

I'm currently not sure if this is a bug in Jitsi or Java. Anyway, it's not something that's currently serious enough to invest time in it. Contributions would be welcome.

Not a big deal anyway, although annoying to an extent.

No. The mailing list is the only way for us to keep halfway up to date with requests. A forum isn't any better because it requires users to create yet another useless account.

THe forums is way easier and intuitive for users. They could use their single account to sign on there. Anyway, it's up to you, maybe that way you filter out users that would otherwise spam you with junk messages, I don't know.

By the way, the memory issue I had and reported back in 2013 seems to still have not been addressed. If I move the mouse extensively across the Jitsi window (and/or wait for tooltips to show up and then move the mouse), the memory jumps very high in almost no time. Back in 2013 it was climbing to as high as 900MB! Now it seems to "stop" at lower levels but still.

After all I wrote a couple of AHK scripts that start/add a flashing icon in the tray when I miss a call. And when I focus the Jitsi window, that icon is closed. Will do for now until a proper method is implemented in Jitsi.

Also Jitsi fails to recognize the Win key for its global hotkeys, which forced me to write another script so i can at least show/hide the main window with a hotkey that includes the Win key. Otherwise there are no easy and free hotkeys on my system that use only the other three modifiers.
I waited for 2-3 years for many of these and such glitches to be fixed but no joy, unfortunately.

After all I wrote a couple of AHK scripts that start/add a flashing icon
in the tray when I miss a call. And when I focus the Jitsi window, that
icon is closed. Will do for now until a proper method is implemented in
Jitsi.

Also Jitsi fails to recognize the Win key for its global hotkeys, which
forced me to write another script so i can at least show/hide the main
window with a hotkey that includes the Win key. Otherwise there are no
easy and free hotkeys on my system that use only the other three modifiers.
I waited for 2-3 years for many of these and such glitches to be fixed
but no joy, unfortunately.

This is the first time I hear of that. Again, you can log an issue at Github (these are for feature requests as well, once approved here on the mailing list).

Ingo

This is the first time I hear of that. Again, you can log an issue at Github (these are for feature requests as well, once approved here on the mailing list).

Yet I still had to sign up for another account to be able to report the issue (had no github account) :slight_smile: . Anyway.

I filed an issue, thanks.
Is Jitsi using its own JRE or depends on something in the system itself? I have an old Java 7 Update 10 from 2013 not used anymore anywhere. I guess Jitsi comes with everything it needs.

As for feature requests, I'll not risk to file one as in Issues at GH for now.
Thanks.

This is the first time I hear of that. Again, you can log an issue at
Github (these are for feature requests as well, once approved here on the
mailing list).

Yet I still had to sign up for another account to be able to report the
issue (had no github account) :slight_smile: . Anyway.

Well, a Github is slightly more versatile than a random forum. Anyway :slight_smile:

I filed an issue, thanks.
Is Jitsi using its own JRE or depends on something in the system itself?
I have an old Java 7 Update 10 from 2013 not used anymore anywhere. I
guess Jitsi comes with everything it needs.

Yes, it uses a private JRE. You can remove the shared installation if you don't need it for something else.

As for feature requests, I'll not risk to file one as in Issues at GH
for now.
Thanks.

Ingo