[jitsi-users] Three questions

Hello,

Three questions:

1) I know that audio and video chats in Jitsi are secured by ZRTP. However, there is one thing I don't understand. On ZRTP's website (http://zfoneproject.com/), it appears as if users of this technology have to pay this company licensing fees. My question is: How was Jitsi able to freely implement this technology?

2) Some people have told me that I'm paranoid when I suggest they move from Skype to Jitsi. They tell me that it's more likely that big brother would be cracking into encrypted conversations, because it's more likely that people would have something to hide on such conversations. What answers do you have against this claim?

3) Some people have complained to me that Jitsi even exists. They believe that with Jitsi, evil people can now more easily plot their schemes in complete secrecy. They believe this practice should be outlawed. They believe it's okay for big brother to have some means to snoop into online conversations, as they are known for doing with Skype. What answers do you have for such claims?

Thanks, D.

ZRTP is Freely available for non comercial application.
if you do ZRTP for your payd softphone, IP Phone, ATA, Voice Gateway then you have to pay for it
skype is managed by Microsoft.
FBI is microsoft powered.
Microsoft is FBI powered.
you want FBI to spy on you ?
you want CIA to know your personal life?
do you want obama to force you to vote on him ?
do you want political party to inject aditional audio on your discution?
that's only 1% of skype crapyest VoIp software evver.
with gitsy +tls+zrtp you have a 99.99.99.99.99.99.99.99% closed Voice Pipline that can be cracked maybe for one month of atempts
end!

···

----- Original Message -----

To: <users@jitsi.java.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:39 PM
Subject: [jitsi-users] Three questions

Hello,

Three questions:

1) I know that audio and video chats in Jitsi are secured by ZRTP. However, there is one thing I don't understand. On ZRTP's website (http://zfoneproject.com/), it appears as if users of this technology have to pay this company licensing fees. My question is: How was Jitsi able to freely implement this technology?

2) Some people have told me that I'm paranoid when I suggest they move from Skype to Jitsi. They tell me that it's more likely that big brother would be cracking into encrypted conversations, because it's more likely that people would have something to hide on such conversations. What answers do you have against this claim?

3) Some people have complained to me that Jitsi even exists. They believe that with Jitsi, evil people can now more easily plot their schemes in complete secrecy. They believe this practice should be outlawed. They believe it's okay for big brother to have some means to snoop into online conversations, as they are known for doing with Skype. What answers do you have for such claims?

Thanks, D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6830 (20120126) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6830 (20120126) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 07:39:24PM +0000, disqususer@live.com wrote 1.1K bytes in 26 lines about:
: 1) I know that audio and video chats in Jitsi are secured by�ZRTP. However, there is one thing I don't understand. On ZRTP's website (http://zfoneproject.com/), it appears as if users of this technology have to pay this company licensing fees. My question is: How was Jitsi able to freely implement this technology?

ZRTP offers a free license for non-commercial software.

: 2) Some people have told me that I'm paranoid when I suggest they move from Skype to Jitsi. They tell me that it's more likely that big brother would be cracking into encrypted conversations, because it's more likely that people would have something to hide on such conversations. What answers do you have against this claim?

Silly organizations try to break the encryption these days. It's far
easier to trick the user or break the software than it is to break the
encryption. I use jitsi with zrtp and otr because I have something
to hide; the contents of my communications. I wouldn't broadcast my
conversations to my neighborhood, ISP, nor everyone in between. When I
want to, I could use twitter, facebook, linkedin, web forums, email, etc.

Hundreds of millions of people use encryption on the Internet every
day. Do you have the same concern about shopping or banking online? Those
connections are generally encrypted at some point.

If you live in under a repressive regime where encryption is illegal,
then sure, you may be a target by using jitsi with encryption on the
Internet.

: 3) Some people have complained to me that Jitsi even exists. They believe that with Jitsi, evil people can now more easily plot their schemes in complete secrecy. They believe this practice should be outlawed. They believe it's okay for big brother to have some means to snoop into online conversations, as they are known for doing with Skype. What answers do you have for such claims?

The snarky answer here is that criminals use butter knives, cars,
smartphones, cameras, and breathe air. Do you use these things? Hmm,
you might be a criminal.

The real answer here is that the net positive vastly outweighs the
costs to society. If strong encryption didn't exist globally, commerce
and communications would be substantially curtailed and we'd be back to
the 1930s state of the world. The four horsemen of the infopocalypse[0]
could use jitsi and do horrible things over it. At the same time, I
imagine the vast majority of jitsi users are benefiting from the ease
of communications, easy-to-use interface, free software community, and
general positive aspects of being able to chat with people in realtime
globally, for free or low cost.

I'm glad jitsi exists. The world would be worse off it didn't.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Infocalypse

···

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering though, how can we be sure that big brother doesn't have any part in making Jitsi? Maybe he is trying to lure those who "have something to hide" to this software and get them to use it? This worries me, because, even if Jitsi is open-source, are all its components (such as ZRTP and others) open source? And how many developers have actually checked the code? As a user, I don't have enough expertise to double-check the code...

Big brother is watching the entire world and is putting in even more resources to watch at an even deeper level including encryption.
If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear if you aren't doing anything illegal or I guess, anything big brother might be nervous about.
On that note, you take your chances. Everyone hears stories about people being wrongly accused, their pc's, servers, server rooms being hauled off. You can thank the stupid public for things getting to this point since they have lost control of their very own governments.

Everything government does is in the name of securing the people... at the COST of the people.

···

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 01:41:54 +0000, Disqus User wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering though, how can we be sure that big brother doesn't have any
part in making Jitsi? Maybe he is trying to lure those who "have something
to hide" to this software and get them to use it? This worries me, because,
even if Jitsi is open-source, are all its components (such as ZRTP and
others) open source? And how many developers have actually checked the
code? As a user, I don't have enough expertise to double-check the code...

You could always set up a VPN tunnel between you and the server, or other client. Layered security is a good thing.

Besides, they already have hooks in Windows, and that covers most folks. :wink:

Lee

···

On 04/04/2012 08:41 PM, Disqus User wrote:

I'm wondering though, how can we be sure that big brother doesn't have any part in making Jitsi?