[jitsi-users] SIP call fails


#1

Hi,
I try to use my SIP account to make and receive phone calls, but it
doesn't work. Instead of making a connection to a typed in phone number,
I get an error popup saying

An error occurred while sending invite request

Info:

net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: An error occurred while sending invite request
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2387)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.invite(CallPeerSipImpl.java:1490)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallSipImpl.invite(CallSipImpl.java:194)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.createOutgoingCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:233)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.createCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:154)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.createCall(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:114)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.call.CallManager$CreateCallThread.run(CallManager.java:1219)
Caused by: net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: An error occurred while creating session description
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2387)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.sdp.SdpUtils.createSessionDescription(SdpUtils.java:194)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandlerSipImpl.createFirstOffer(CallPeerMediaHandlerSipImpl.java:133)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandlerSipImpl.createOffer(CallPeerMediaHandlerSipImpl.java:108)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.invite(CallPeerSipImpl.java:1473)
  ... 5 more
Caused by: javax.sdp.SdpException: The parameter is null
  at gov.nist.javax.sdp.SessionDescriptionImpl.setOrigin(SessionDescriptionImpl.java:480)
  at javax.sdp.SdpFactory.createSessionDescription(SdpFactory.java:79)
  at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.sdp.SdpUtils.createSessionDescription(SdpUtils.java:143)
  ... 8 more

An incoming call brings up a popup to pick up or hang up, but if I
choose the green phone symbol, again an error message pops up saying

An error occurred while creating session description

Unfortunately, it disappears very quickly, so I could not get further
info from it. Some seconds later, the caller gets the voice message that
the called number is temporarily not available.

It is running under
- OpenSUSE Linux 12.1 (x86-64)
- java version "1.6.0_31"
  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04)
  Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)
- NAT behind DSL router
- no firewall
- no proxy

My Android phone makes and answers SIP calls within the same WLAN using
the same account without any problem.

What might be wrong?
What is to do to get it working?

···

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#2

Hi,

Am 19.11.2012 12:12, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

What might be wrong?
What is to do to get it working?

does nobody have an idea?

···

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#3

Seems to be a bug JITSI-1000 "SIP Calls on Ubuntu 10.04"

http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1000

···

On 11/21/2012 02:39 PM, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hi,

Am 19.11.2012 12:12, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

What might be wrong?
What is to do to get it working?

does nobody have an idea?


#4

Hi,

···

Am 21.11.2012 14:55, schrieb Mikael Magnusson:

Seems to be a bug JITSI-1000 "SIP Calls on Ubuntu 10.04"
http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1000

Thx. Let me guess: since this issue is one year old without any work log
entry or even a comment, nothing will happen? If so, I'd better look for
another tool.

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#5

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

···

On 11/21/2012 09:02 AM, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hi,

Am 21.11.2012 14:55, schrieb Mikael Magnusson:

Seems to be a bug JITSI-1000 "SIP Calls on Ubuntu 10.04"
http://java.net/jira/browse/JITSI-1000

Thx. Let me guess: since this issue is one year old without any work log
entry or even a comment, nothing will happen? If so, I'd better look for
another tool.


#6

Hello,

···

Am 21.11.2012 15:07, schrieb David Burleigh:

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

I use openSUSE, it's up-to-date.
If nobody even answers in one year, I have no hope that anybody will
care now.

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#7

Hey all,

···

On 21.11.12, 15:47, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hello,

Am 21.11.2012 15:07, schrieb David Burleigh:

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

I use openSUSE, it's up-to-date.
If nobody even answers in one year, I have no hope that anybody will
care now.

If anyone is able to reproduce the issue and investigate what might be
causing it, then any feedback or patches will be more than welcome. We
are regularly using Jitsi on Ubuntu/Debian and do not have the issue.

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

Emil

--
https://jitsi.org


#8

Emil;

this my first post, I'm not sure if this is the correct way. But I have this identical issue,have had it for a while if I remember, it started in Ubuntu 11.10 and was carried over when I upgraded to 12.04. I actually had to do a fresh install due to a lost hard drive, but the problem remained after adding a new drive with fresh install. I'm not a Linux expert(know enough to fall into deep water)

···

On 11/21/2012 10:00 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

Hey all,

On 21.11.12, 15:47, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hello,

Am 21.11.2012 15:07, schrieb David Burleigh:

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

I use openSUSE, it's up-to-date.
If nobody even answers in one year, I have no hope that anybody will
care now.

If anyone is able to reproduce the issue and investigate what might be
causing it, then any feedback or patches will be more than welcome. We
are regularly using Jitsi on Ubuntu/Debian and do not have the issue.

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

Emil

--
Cheers;

David Donlin
14 Marion Ave
Norwood,MA 02062
781-688-3102 W
781-769-6680 H
david@donlinte.com
www.tekforthehome.com
Please Remember, email with a blank subject line is deleted by the server as spam, always include a subject in email to us. Additionally, we do not accept inbound toll free, restricted or anonymous phone calls.


#9

David,

Emil;

this my first post, I'm not sure if this is the correct way. But I have
this identical issue,have had it for a while if I remember, it started
in Ubuntu 11.10 and was carried over when I upgraded to 12.04. I
actually had to do a fresh install due to a lost hard drive, but the
problem remained after adding a new drive with fresh install. I'm not a
Linux expert(know enough to fall into deep water)

I don't doubt you guys are having the problem. The thing is that we
can't reproduce it which makes debugging harder. Did you try changing
your audio system?

Emil

···

On 21.11.12, 16:09, David Donlin wrote:

On 11/21/2012 10:00 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

Hey all,

On 21.11.12, 15:47, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hello,

Am 21.11.2012 15:07, schrieb David Burleigh:

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

I use openSUSE, it's up-to-date.
If nobody even answers in one year, I have no hope that anybody will
care now.

If anyone is able to reproduce the issue and investigate what might be
causing it, then any feedback or patches will be more than welcome. We
are regularly using Jitsi on Ubuntu/Debian and do not have the issue.

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

Emil

--
Cheers;

David Donlin
14 Marion Ave
Norwood,MA 02062
781-688-3102 W
781-769-6680 H
david@donlinte.com
www.tekforthehome.com
Please Remember, email with a blank subject line is deleted by the
server as spam, always include a subject in email to us. Additionally,
we do not accept inbound toll free, restricted or anonymous phone calls.

--
https://jitsi.org


#10

Hi,

···

Am 21.11.2012 16:00, schrieb Emil Ivov:

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

I use pulseaudio already, it's default in openSUSE. Camera, mic and
sound is working fine in other (native) programs. At least the alert
sounds of jitsi work fine, too. What more can I find out regarding a
possible sound issue, and how?

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#11

yes, I looked, searched for an answer for a while, but to no avail, I somethings enjoy a challenge,but at some point I needs to get stuff accomplished.

···

On 11/21/2012 10:13 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

David,
On 21.11.12, 16:09, David Donlin wrote:

Emil;

this my first post, I'm not sure if this is the correct way. But I have
this identical issue,have had it for a while if I remember, it started
in Ubuntu 11.10 and was carried over when I upgraded to 12.04. I
actually had to do a fresh install due to a lost hard drive, but the
problem remained after adding a new drive with fresh install. I'm not a
Linux expert(know enough to fall into deep water)

I don't doubt you guys are having the problem. The thing is that we
can't reproduce it which makes debugging harder. Did you try changing
your audio system?

Emil

On 11/21/2012 10:00 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:

Hey all,

On 21.11.12, 15:47, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hello,

Am 21.11.2012 15:07, schrieb David Burleigh:

I make SIP calls from Jitsi on (K)ubuntu 12.04 all the time. Why not
just install a newer version of Ubuntu?

I use openSUSE, it's up-to-date.
If nobody even answers in one year, I have no hope that anybody will
care now.

If anyone is able to reproduce the issue and investigate what might be
causing it, then any feedback or patches will be more than welcome. We
are regularly using Jitsi on Ubuntu/Debian and do not have the issue.

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

Emil

--
Cheers;

David Donlin
14 Marion Ave
Norwood,MA 02062
781-688-3102 W
781-769-6680 H
david@donlinte.com
www.tekforthehome.com
Please Remember, email with a blank subject line is deleted by the
server as spam, always include a subject in email to us. Additionally,
we do not accept inbound toll free, restricted or anonymous phone calls.

--
Cheers;

David Donlin
14 Marion Ave
Norwood,MA 02062
781-688-3102 W
781-769-6680 H
david@donlinte.com
www.tekforthehome.com
Please Remember, email with a blank subject line is deleted by the server as spam, always include a subject in email to us. Additionally, we do not accept inbound toll free, restricted or anonymous phone calls.


#12

I was referring to Jitsi and its audio configuration form. Can you see
if Jitsi itself is configured to use PulsAudio? If so can you also try
using the PortAudio sound system?

Emil

···

On 21.11.12, 16:47, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hi,

Am 21.11.2012 16:00, schrieb Emil Ivov:

To me it sounds like a problem with the audio devices. Have you tried
using the pulseaudio system?

I use pulseaudio already, it's default in openSUSE. Camera, mic and
sound is working fine in other (native) programs. At least the alert
sounds of jitsi work fine, too. What more can I find out regarding a
possible sound issue, and how?

--
https://jitsi.org


#13

Hi,

···

Am 21.11.2012 17:21, schrieb Emil Ivov:

I was referring to Jitsi and its audio configuration form. Can you see
if Jitsi itself is configured to use PulsAudio? If so can you also try
using the PortAudio sound system?

it is set to PortAudio. Other available choices are:
JavaSound
none

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß Best regards
                           Boris Kirkorowicz


#14

Hey Boris,

···

On 21.11.12, 18:16, Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

Hi,

Am 21.11.2012 17:21, schrieb Emil Ivov:

I was referring to Jitsi and its audio configuration form. Can you see
if Jitsi itself is configured to use PulsAudio? If so can you also try
using the PortAudio sound system?

it is set to PortAudio. Other available choices are:
JavaSound
none

You should be seeing PulseAudio as well but apparently it failed to load
for some reason. Could you please open a ticket and attach logs?

Thanks,
Emil

--
https://jitsi.org


#15

I think I may have seen this elsewhere in a forum as well. But I have
noticed a small artifact in the upper left hand corner of the screen
when Jitsi is first launched. It remains for several hours and then
disappears. It doesn't disturb the work flow but is a nuisance
nonetheless. Have others experienced this problem?

I am running Linux Mint on a ThinkPad X41 1.5 Ghz P3 with 1.5GB RAM.

M


#16

Hello Michael,

I have this kind of problem with Fluxbox when Jitsi failed to create the systray menu correctly: Jitsi does not appears in systray and the upper left artifact appears.

Is it the same for you? When the artifact appears, is Jitsi not available in the systray?

Regards,
Vincent

···

On 11/22/12 1:09 AM, Michael L. Wilson wrote:

I think I may have seen this elsewhere in a forum as well. But I have
noticed a small artifact in the upper left hand corner of the screen
when Jitsi is first launched. It remains for several hours and then
disappears. It doesn't disturb the work flow but is a nuisance
nonetheless. Have others experienced this problem?

I am running Linux Mint on a ThinkPad X41 1.5 Ghz P3 with 1.5GB RAM.

M

--
Vincent Lucas, Ph.D. Jitsi developer
chenzo@jitsi.org http://jitsi.org


#17

Hi,

I had a similar artifact in XFCE (Xubuntu) with the stable version of
Jitsi (I have not checked the nightly build in XFCE). The systray icon
appeared without problems in that case, but accompanied by a black
square in the upper left corner just the size of the "close window"
button. I am not sure if this is related.

Cheers,
Benjamin

···

Am 22.11.2012 09:55, schrieb Vincent Lucas:

Hello Michael,

I have this kind of problem with Fluxbox when Jitsi failed to
create the systray menu correctly: Jitsi does not appears in
systray and the upper left artifact appears.

Is it the same for you? When the artifact appears, is Jitsi not
available in the systray?

Regards, Vincent

On 11/22/12 1:09 AM, Michael L. Wilson wrote:

I think I may have seen this elsewhere in a forum as well. But I
have noticed a small artifact in the upper left hand corner of
the screen when Jitsi is first launched. It remains for several
hours and then disappears. It doesn't disturb the work flow but
is a nuisance nonetheless. Have others experienced this problem?

I am running Linux Mint on a ThinkPad X41 1.5 Ghz P3 with 1.5GB
RAM.

M


#18

Hi Vincent

  I actually have both the systray icon and the artifact on screen

at the same time. I am using Xfce. The artifact appears at the
same time Jitsi is launched and lingers for some hours (sometimes
days) until it mysteriously disappears.

  Michael
···

On 11/22/2012 10:55 AM, Vincent Lucas
wrote:

  Hello

Michael,

  I have this kind of problem with Fluxbox when Jitsi failed to

create the systray menu correctly: Jitsi does not appears in
systray and the upper left artifact appears.

  Is it the same for you? When the artifact appears, is Jitsi not

available in the systray?

  Regards,


  Vincent




  On 11/22/12 1:09 AM, Michael L. Wilson wrote:
    I think I may have seen this elsewhere in

a forum as well. But I have

    noticed a small artifact in the upper left hand corner of the

screen

    when Jitsi is first launched. It remains for several hours and

then

    disappears. It doesn't disturb the work flow but is a nuisance


    nonetheless. Have others experienced this problem?




    I am running Linux Mint on a ThinkPad X41 1.5 Ghz P3 with 1.5GB

RAM.

    M