[jitsi-users] Should Jitsi recognize that buddy's Jitsi has voice/video disabled?

I’ve disabled voice/video on the machine where voice chat crashes OS into BSOD. This was done in Account/Edit/Telephony/Disable jingle, but the other users still see voice and video buttons for that buddy.

Should Jitsi remove/disable the buttons for the unavailable services? I am afraid to test what is going to happen if I pressed voice call to that buddy as if it would start voice chat with them, it would crash the machine again and cause downtime and lost work.

Thank you
Alex

We had a misfortune to have this tested. Someone accidentally hit voice chat button to the ‘crashing’ machine.
This is the scenario:

Machine 1 is the one which crashes when it initiates/receives voice and video call, Win7 64bit AMD Ahtlon dual core on 790 chipset. Jingle is disabled in the account.
Machine 2 works fine with voice/video chat, WinXP 64bit, AMD A10 quad core
Machine 3 works fine with voice/video chat, WinXP 64bit, AMD Phenom II quad core.

When Machine 3 accidentally called Machine 1, #1 crashed and #3 got frozen and had to be power cycled.
But any calls between #3 and #2 in any direction work fine.

Bottom line:

1. If Jingle is disabled, Jitsi should not respond to the incoming calls. Ideally a buddy whose Jingle is disabled should not display call buttons.

2. Something is really wrong with Jitsi, as no other voice/video app has any issues whatsoever on any of the machines 1, 2, 3. I suspect it could be JRE on AMD platform in general and Jitsi just had a misfortune to expose that, but still this is the issue with Jitsi only.

Thank you
Alex

···

From: users-bounces@jitsi.org [mailto:users-bounces@jitsi.org] On Behalf Of Alex Malmyguine
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:32 PM
To: Jitsi Users
Subject: [jitsi-users] Should Jitsi recognize that buddy's Jitsi has voice/video disabled?

I’ve disabled voice/video on the machine where voice chat crashes OS into BSOD. This was done in Account/Edit/Telephony/Disable jingle, but the other users still see voice and video buttons for that buddy.

Should Jitsi remove/disable the buttons for the unavailable services? I am afraid to test what is going to happen if I pressed voice call to that buddy as if it would start voice chat with them, it would crash the machine again and cause downtime and lost work.

Thank you
Alex