[jitsi-users] Settings video resolution

I am trying to use jitsi on a netbook with an Atom processor to make SIP h264 video calls.
Receiving video works fine but when I start sending video the audio and video become unusable. The audio is very jittery and the video frame rate is extremely slow.
How does jitsi determine what resolution, frame rate and bit rate to use for a video call? Are these fixed parameters? Is there any way to force a lower resolution in some file?
It would be great if there were settings for this in the gui.

-William

Hi William,

Le 29/03/11 15:28, William Cooley a �crit :

I am trying to use jitsi on a netbook with an Atom processor to make SIP h264 video calls.
Receiving video works fine but when I start sending video the audio and video become unusable. The audio is very jittery and the video frame rate is extremely slow.
How does jitsi determine what resolution, frame rate and bit rate to use for a video call? Are these fixed parameters? Is there any way to force a lower resolution in some file?

Yes for the moment, these parameters are hardcoded.

You can change the resolution in the DataSource of our capture device.

···

- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/directshow/DataSource.java for Windows;
- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/videolinux2/DataSource.java for Linux;
- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/quicktime/DataSource.java for Mac OS X.

Frame rate and bitrate can be configured in src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/codec/video/h264/JNIEncoder.java for H264.

Yes it is on our list, but unfortunately we have more higher priority tasks for now.

--
Seb

-William

Hello Seb,
Thanks for the response. It was very helpful.

I don't have time at the moment to figure out how to compile jitsi and create a windows installer for it so this is not an option for me.
It is frustrating because I have been trying to find a sip softphone that supports h264 and jitsi is one of the few ones that "just works".
Ekiga h264 did not work with my asterisk system.
Linphone works sometimes but crashes frequently.
I am tempted to buy counterpath bria but from their online manual I can't tell what settings I will be able to adjust and they don't even have a demo or trial version.

How complex will it be to make these settings configurable in jitsi without having to rebuild? I would be fine with changing these settings in a configuration file.
How much would it cost to get someone to add this functionality?
-William

···

On 3/29/2011 10:41 AM, Sebastien Vincent wrote:

Hi William,

Le 29/03/11 15:28, William Cooley a �crit :

Yes for the moment, these parameters are hardcoded.

You can change the resolution in the DataSource of our capture device.

- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/directshow/DataSource.java for Windows;
- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/videolinux2/DataSource.java for Linux;
- src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/jmfext/media/protocol/quicktime/DataSource.java for Mac OS X.

Frame rate and bitrate can be configured in src/net/java/sip/communicator/impl/neomedia/codec/video/h264/JNIEncoder.java for H264.

Yes it is on our list, but unfortunately we have more higher priority tasks for now.

--
Seb

-William