[jitsi-users] registering Jitsi as sip and xmpp protocol handler


#1

I found this page which mentions that the MSI can register Jitsi as a
protocol handler for sip: and xmpp: URIs:
https://jitsi.org/Documentation/MSIParameters

Is that functionality in Jitsi itself or only in the MSI?

Are there system properties or any other means for non-MSI users to tell
Jitsi they want it to automatically register as a protocol handler?

If so, which platforms does it work on?

I came across various guides that describe how to manually register
Jitsi as a handler for URIs and I'm aware of how to do that, what I'm
asking about is whether Jitsi can automatically do this.


#2

Hi Daniel,

These are specific to the msi, the installer just creates Registry
entries which invoke jitsi executable passing URI arguments and that's
all.

Regards
damencho

···

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

I found this page which mentions that the MSI can register Jitsi as a
protocol handler for sip: and xmpp: URIs:
https://jitsi.org/Documentation/MSIParameters

Is that functionality in Jitsi itself or only in the MSI?

Are there system properties or any other means for non-MSI users to tell
Jitsi they want it to automatically register as a protocol handler?

If so, which platforms does it work on?

I came across various guides that describe how to manually register
Jitsi as a handler for URIs and I'm aware of how to do that, what I'm
asking about is whether Jitsi can automatically do this.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#3

This is only in the MSI, I don't know if the Mac and Linux packages do something similar. Jitsi itself could only register a handler for the current user anyway (without asking for admin/root permissions).

Freundliche Grüsse,
Ingo Bauersachs

-- sent from my mobile

···

Le 07.08.2014 à 16:54, "Daniel Pocock" <daniel@pocock.pro> a écrit :

I found this page which mentions that the MSI can register Jitsi as a
protocol handler for sip: and xmpp: URIs:
https://jitsi.org/Documentation/MSIParameters

Is that functionality in Jitsi itself or only in the MSI?

Are there system properties or any other means for non-MSI users to tell
Jitsi they want it to automatically register as a protocol handler?

If so, which platforms does it work on?

I came across various guides that describe how to manually register
Jitsi as a handler for URIs and I'm aware of how to do that, what I'm
asking about is whether Jitsi can automatically do this.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#4

It would be nice to do this on a best-effort basis if possible,
especially when it is launched by webstart

My other email about webstart launch arguments suggests how the protocol
handler may be defined, e.g. for Linux, it may be

   /usr/bin/javaws -open "%s" https://jitsi.org/latest-and-greatest.jnlp

···

On 07/08/14 11:09, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

This is only in the MSI, I don't know if the Mac and Linux packages do something similar. Jitsi itself could only register a handler for the current user anyway (without asking for admin/root permissions).


#5

Do you mean something like a popup with the question "Jitsi is currently not your default application for phone calls. Would you like to set it as the default? (Yes)/(No)"?

Freundliche Grüsse,
Ingo Bauersachs

-- sent from my mobile

···

Le 07.08.2014 à 20:03, "Daniel Pocock" <daniel@pocock.pro> a écrit :

On 07/08/14 11:09, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:
This is only in the MSI, I don't know if the Mac and Linux packages do something similar. Jitsi itself could only register a handler for the current user anyway (without asking for admin/root permissions).

It would be nice to do this on a best-effort basis if possible,
especially when it is launched by webstart

My other email about webstart launch arguments suggests how the protocol
handler may be defined, e.g. for Linux, it may be

  /usr/bin/javaws -open "%s" https://jitsi.org/latest-and-greatest.jnlp

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#6

Yes, exactly.

It would also be nice to have a property that can be set through
provisioning or the build that forces Jitsi to associate itself with URIs.

So far, I've found that the java.awt.Desktop class can only discover if
there is an existing sip: or xmpp: handler by trying to actually make a
call - it throws IOException if no handler exists already. Maybe there
are other platform-specific hacks that can be used to do this more
elegantly. Even if it only works for 80% of users, it will get more
people using Jitsi

···

On 07/08/14 18:47, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

Do you mean something like a popup with the question "Jitsi is currently not your default application for phone calls. Would you like to set it as the default? (Yes)/(No)"?