[jitsi-users] Quality issues on P2P video-calls

Hi everyone,

Recently started operating a custom Jitsi-Meet setup (to replace an old custom SignalR + WebRTC setup) and apparently everything seemed to work fine. However, when comparing its quality with other solutions like Hangouts, Talky.io, our old solution or Skype they all seem to perform better.

Given the size of this project I am pretty sure its a matter of setup / configuration. In short, when user’s connections aren’t the best (the platform runs in Brazil) the camera freezes or simply appears that message saying the user is having “connectivity issues” (audio seems to hold fine). However, under the same conditions, while the video quality is not perfect it holds pretty well.

I have tried to change the resolution from 720p to 540p and 360p but the problem seems to be consistent (under low quality connections). The impression I get is that Jitsi-meet tries to adapt to the current available bandwidth very fast (increasing & decreasing resolution) making the system unstable and the video-chat unpleasant for the participants. I am running the servers on Amazon and currently trying a single conference call at a time (does not seem to be server resources). Also, I have P2P enabled given that it’s just 2 participants.

Having that said, any suggestions on how to work around this?

Best,
Jose

Hi,

Try disabling simulcast. This will not give you the adaptivity but will likely give you better quality.

Osama

···

On Jun 17, 2017, at 7:01 AM, Jose Simoes <simoes83@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Recently started operating a custom Jitsi-Meet setup (to replace an old custom SignalR + WebRTC setup) and apparently everything seemed to work fine. However, when comparing its quality with other solutions like Hangouts, Talky.io, our old solution or Skype they all seem to perform better.

Given the size of this project I am pretty sure its a matter of setup / configuration. In short, when user’s connections aren’t the best (the platform runs in Brazil) the camera freezes or simply appears that message saying the user is having “connectivity issues” (audio seems to hold fine). However, under the same conditions, while the video quality is not perfect it holds pretty well.

I have tried to change the resolution from 720p to 540p and 360p but the problem seems to be consistent (under low quality connections). The impression I get is that Jitsi-meet tries to adapt to the current available bandwidth very fast (increasing & decreasing resolution) making the system unstable and the video-chat unpleasant for the participants. I am running the servers on Amazon and currently trying a single conference call at a time (does not seem to be server resources). Also, I have P2P enabled given that it’s just 2 participants.

Best,
Jose
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Simulcast is disabled for P2P calls if direct connection succeeds. You
should see "(p2p)" next to your remote address, after clicking "show
more".

···

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Osama Alshaykh <osama.alshaykh@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Try disabling simulcast. This will not give you the adaptivity but will likely give you better quality.

Osama

On Jun 17, 2017, at 7:01 AM, Jose Simoes <simoes83@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Best,
Jose