[jitsi-users] plugins needed for jitsi?

hi

first of all, i really do like jitsi. but as i test it, more questions appear.

its based on webrtc wich -by now- should be supported by all mayor browsers, but when i try to use it with internet explorer or safari i have to download some plugins, if i use crome on android i am forced to use some app... one thing i liked on the webrtc idea was that i dont have to install anything, if i have to download stuff and install it i can stick with for example skype. so my question: do i have to setup something special for this browsers? i just used the normal install with deb packages. i use letsencrypt ssl certs and they seem to be also setup correct.
i speak here for "normal jitsi" not bout screensharing and stuff like that.
oh one more question, is there some "usefull" documentation bout all that stuff?

thanks

···

hi

first of all, i really do like jitsi. but as i test it, more questions appear.

its based on webrtc wich -by now- should be supported by all mayor browsers, but when i try to use it with internet explorer or safari i have to download some plugins, if i use crome on android i am forced to use some app... one thing i liked on the webrtc idea was that i dont have to install anything, if i have to download stuff and install it i can stick with for example skype.

Well, that is your choice, of course. I can give you another bunch of reasons why that is not a good idea :slight_smile:

so my question: do i have to setup something special for this browsers?

Here is a quick rundown:

- IE doesn’t support WebRTC, so there is nothing we can do. There is a plugin which adds WebRTC support, so it’s needed in this browser.
- Safari didn’t support WebRTC until version 11, and even there, it doesn’t support the VP8 video codec. So on Safari 11 Jitsi will work in a “degraded / audio-only” mode, and for Safari 10 or earlier you need a plugin just like you do on IE.
- Other browsers should Just Work, otherwise let us know!

i just used the normal install with deb packages. i use letsencrypt ssl certs and they seem to be also setup correct.
i speak here for "normal jitsi" not bout screensharing and stuff like that.
oh one more question, is there some "usefull" documentation bout all that stuff?

About browser support? Not yet, but we are close to having something in the website soon, I believe.

Cheers,

···

On Feb 7, 2018, at 08:41, mn_markus@web.de wrote:

thanks

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.jitsi.org_mailman_listinfo_users&d=DwIGaQ&c=wBUwXtM9sKhff6UeHOQgvw&r=-T6Cew-S4Ei-6rhDWu1AY-o1ETORq5uAicdns9fSwgI&m=jE47i9KJg3ADUT038J7WgxVz3R_IhdSxdm7ta1Y26BQ&s=nz4ELA4SkarRA7apHwIrAIkw3FJIN19bGJmNGvocLhE&e=

--
Saúl