[jitsi-users] Performance optimization

Hi
I'd like to do some performance optimization, but I cannot find anything on the docs.

I have a lot of packet loss on limited bandwidth network and the video conference degrade to an audio conference.

I have an ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine with 10 GB Ram and 32 CPU core
In Prosody I see a compression directive
  -- These are commented by default as they have a performance impact
                 --"privacy"; -- Support privacy lists
                 "compression"; -- Stream compression (Debian: requires lua-zlib module to work)

I tried to activate it with compression_level = 9

I see that there is a maximum size of memory allocation pool that is -Xmx3072m for 2 java programs that are runnig .

Increasing that value could give more speed ?

The CPU is used at most at 20% with 4 or 5 Partecipant, and it seems that it does not affect performance.

Am I right that is not possible to do any other optimization because there is no way to reduce bandwidth, due to the nature of jitsi videobridge? And the only way is to use better compression or reduced resolution on video source ?

Thank you for any advice.

Paolo

Hi
I'd like to do some performance optimization, but I cannot find anything on the docs.

First you need to define what you try to optimize. “Performance” is too generic. Is it CPU usage? RAM? Network traffic?

I have a lot of packet loss on limited bandwidth network and the video conference degrade to an audio conference.

I have an ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine with 10 GB Ram and 32 CPU core
In Prosody I see a compression directive
-- These are commented by default as they have a performance impact
                --"privacy"; -- Support privacy lists
                "compression"; -- Stream compression (Debian: requires lua-zlib module to work)

I tried to activate it with compression_level = 9

The XMPP traffic is probably a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

I see that there is a maximum size of memory allocation pool that is -Xmx3072m for 2 java programs that are runnig .

Increasing that value could give more speed ?

Speed in what exactly? Are you seeing any slowness?

The CPU is used at most at 20% with 4 or 5 Partecipant, and it seems that it does not affect performance.

The type of traffic a Jitsi Meet installation handles is network bound, not really CPU bound.

Am I right that is not possible to do any other optimization because there is no way to reduce bandwidth, due to the nature of jitsi videobridge? And the only way is to use better compression or reduced resolution on video source ?

You can of course configure your deployment to use less resolution by default. But that won’t give you better performance, it will give you less bandwidth utilization, and IMHO a worse user experience.

Can you share exactly what you’re after?

Cheers,

···

On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:01, Paolo Marcheschi <paolo.marcheschi@ftgm.it> wrote:

--
Saúl

Yes

As I said I have a band limited connection, so I'd like to save bandwidth but not for every user,

only where I have a faulty connection.

···

On 08/25/2017 05:39 PM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:

Best Regards
Paolo

Unfortunately I’m afraid there is not much we can do. Packet loss is one of the key metrics when it comes to reducing the amount of video sent to participants. George, is there any JVB setting that can be tweaked to make it more “tolerant” to packet loss? That is, to allow for more packet loss before it starts to scale down in the amount of video sent to users.

Cheers,

···

On Aug 29, 2017, at 13:07, Paolo Marcheschi <paolo.marcheschi@ftgm.it> wrote:

Yes

As I said I have a band limited connection, so I'd like to save bandwidth but not for every user,
only where I have a faulty connection.

On 08/25/2017 05:39 PM, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé wrote:

Best Regards
Paolo
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.jitsi.org_mailman_listinfo_users&d=DwIGaQ&c=wBUwXtM9sKhff6UeHOQgvw&r=-T6Cew-S4Ei-6rhDWu1AY-o1ETORq5uAicdns9fSwgI&m=eIq62jBVV7ZrweNOUfd8cc-mRrn6RTdXrJkemjwmltY&s=VVr7EsMRySoz1NmTUvr13Jwsmvy42wRXVgzCcPiRyxQ&e=

--
Saúl