jitsi is for me still unable to handle otr and multiple endpoints. The menu
"Secure Chat" in the chat window shows me 4 endpoints for one of my
contacts. With the first OTR went smooth and we verified this device.
Then he tried a connection from the 2nd device. And the mess starts.
1. I could not establish a OTR channel to any of the 4 devices
2. I could not establish a OTR channel after restarting jitsi to any of the
3. If i click on the lock icon it changes to "in progress" and sends the
start text, but OTR fails:
email@example.com/nexus 7 ist an mehreren Geräten angemeldet und OTR hat
mehrere Verbindungen erstellt. Sie können eine der Verbindungen aus dem
Privates Gespräch mit firstname.lastname@example.org/nexus 7 abgebrochen.
4. If my contact start OTR i can see the OTR stuff and encrypted content in
gmail, but my text is send in plain! At least the lock icon stays as "plain
text" but there should be no half encrypted channel
5. If my contact start OTR from the second device and it works, then my
input window is not drawn to this connection, so this could explain 4, as
the link to the first device is still unencrypted (but incomming messages
draw the input field to this connection)
6. If somehow an other device in the list of 4 gets OTR set up i can not
tell to which endpoint it sends to, ooooh, i have found the ui element, its
well hidden with this small arrow. And second to that: what happens if
there is only one OTR channel and 2 logged in devices, and this little icon
stands on "send to all"? Sends jitsi then to booth devices and render OTR
useless in the first place? Later: It sends happily in plain to all!, ok,
the chatwindow tells then its unencrypted …
7. If i get this message: email@example.com/nexus 7 ist an mehreren Geräten
angemeldet und OTR hat mehrere Verbindungen erstellt. Sie können eine der
Verbindungen aus dem Menu auswählen.
I can cycle through all connections with the small icon and none! changes
the lock icon to "encrypted" although the message states the opposite.
Its a rather long rant but i want to use otr with anyone, also with my tech
friendly contacts with multiple devices.
Ok after a long fiddle i have multiple OTR channels, but the user
experience was really bad, not so tech savy friends would have given up 30
minutes ago and the clear attribution to which endpoint i will send is
missing, its hidden in a popup on this small not noteworthy icon which just
tells you if it is an icq or gmail or something other contact.