[jitsi-users] New XMPP Server

I know that Emil has stated that the jit.si server is an experimental one and, with the developed focused on making the Jisti software even more kick butt, it's probably a bit hard for them to constantly troubleshoot server and config problems with the service.

So I've set up a similar service at http://patts.us and invite anyone interested to use it. We support voice, video, and IM and run a Jingle node. We are also completely unlogged (even the web server).

Just putting it out there to anyone who's interested. Not trying to poach users from the jit.si service. Hopefully, this will give Emil and the team a little breathing room.

Best Regards,
Anthony Papilloon

···

--
Sent from my mobile device

I don't want to steal any of Anthony's thunder but I also have a
server located at xmpp://chat.jpunix.net that has no logging and
pretty much does what Anthony's does and is open to anyone that want's
to use it.

- --
John Perry

···

On 7/27/2013 5:44 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:

I know that Emil has stated that the jit.si server is an
experimental one and, with the developed focused on making the
Jisti software even more kick butt, it's probably a bit hard for
them to constantly troubleshoot server and config problems with the
service.

So I've set up a similar service at http://patts.us and invite
anyone interested to use it. We support voice, video, and IM and
run a Jingle node. We are also completely unlogged (even the web
server).

Just putting it out there to anyone who's interested. Not trying
to poach users from the jit.si service. Hopefully, this will give
Emil and the team a little breathing room.

Best Regards, Anthony Papilloon

Sounds like a good service. A question, from the Best Practices page: "Research has shown that bits and pieces of encrypted conversations can be recovered if the parties are using a 'variable rate' codec. While you don't need to know what that means, you do need to make sure your client uses a fixed rate codec when you're doing encrypted chats. We recommend iLBC as it's lightweight and offers good quality." In Jitsi, not being too technical, I presume that the Tools > Options > then encodings in Video and Audio section need to be un checked -- do you know which ones are fixed rate so only those will be left checked, or where on the web is a good resource to look up and find that answer?

···

I know that Emil has stated that the jit.si server is an experimental one and, with the developed focused on making the Jisti software even more kick butt, it's probably a bit hard for them to constantly troubleshoot server and config problems with the service.

So I've set up a similar service at http://patts.us and invite anyone interested to use it. We support voice, video, and IM and run a Jingle node. We are also completely unlogged (even the web server).

Just putting it out there to anyone who's interested. Not trying to poach users from the jit.si service. Hopefully, this will give Emil and the team a little breathing room.

Best Regards,
Anthony Papilloon

--
Sent from my mobile device

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Sounds like a good service. A question, from the Best Practices page: "Research has shown that bits and pieces of encrypted conversations can be recovered if the parties are using a 'variable rate' codec. While you don't need to know what that means, you do need to make sure your client uses a fixed rate codec when you're doing encrypted chats. We recommend iLBC as it's lightweight and offers good quality." In Jitsi, not being too technical, I presume that the Tools > Options > then encodings in Video and Audio section need to be un checked -- do you know which ones are fixed rate so only those will be left checked, or where on the web is a good resource to look up and find that answer?

Generally, I wouldn't uncheck everything as it could cause problems negotiating a codec with your friends. Instead, I'd move iLBC to the top of your list and follow that up with other non vbr codecs, followed by the others. That way, if your friend doesn't have any of the non vbr codecs, you have the vbr ones to fall back on.

I'm fairly sure Jitsi supports a few non vbr codecs. It's actually been a question I've been meaning to ask on this list just to clarify. I *believe* the codecs listed with bitrates next to them are non vbr. Emil, can you confirm?

As to a list of codecs, I have a site with a very good discussion of them. I'll dig it up and post it tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Anthony

···

On Jul 27, 2013, at 10:08 PM, BitMessage <BM-2DBVT9yeUEFhLR8Qg9vhqB7ZQE9Sf3gAgS@bitmessage.ch > wrote:

By all means, steal my thunder! We need as many secure xmpp servers run by privacy conscience people as possible!

Anthony

···

On Jul 28, 2013, at 3:21 AM, John Perry <lists@jpunix.net> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

service.

server).

to use it.

In that case, if any of you are willing to take a look, we also have an xmpp server but it is on a server with status net which has broken, could be due to not having SSL certificate renewed, not sure, probably the server needs migrating to one of our better ones, perhaps it is unreliable. Due to the technician currently being off the grid, so it is sitting off line would be great to get it back on line. Email me directly if willing/able to take a look? Will then exchange PGP keys and check out credentials.

···

On Jul 28, 2013, at 3:21 AM, John Perry <lists@jpunix.net> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

service.

server).

to use it.

By all means, steal my thunder! We need as many secure xmpp servers run by privacy conscience people as possible!

Anthony

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users