[jitsi-users] Mac OS X handling of URI Dialing

I’ve been working on allowing FileMaker Pro to dial numbers through using a URL formatted in the form of sip://number, however if you call a number using that form, it will tell Jitsi to call the number: “//number” and not “number”.
If I put the number in the form of: sip:number (the correct way to structure the URI), then FileMaker won’t interpret it properly, and instead it simply sends it to Firefox/Safari and tries to open it which results in it doing a google search for “sip:number”

It seems handling URI’s in Absolute form (like sip:number) is a little weird on OSX, in that some applications will handle it properly (most of the OSX native apps like Contacts/Calendar and the terminal open command), others will just be confused (Safari, Firefox and FileMaker).

Other SIP applications will handle URI’s in Relative form (like sip://number) and simply drop the two leading slashes. Is there a way to get Jitsi to handle URI’s in this form, or some sort of plugin to rewrite numbers before they’re dialled (so I can just have it so it would remove the two leading slashes).
Otherwise my backup plan is to have FileMaker call an AppleScript that runs a shell command: "open sip:number”.

Or: Is there something completely obvious that I’m just completely missing?

Thanks,

Dustin

Hey Dustin,

···

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 4:19 AM, Dustin Kerr <duck@duklabs.com> wrote:

I’ve been working on allowing FileMaker Pro to dial numbers through using a URL formatted in the form of sip://number, however if you call a number using that form, it will tell Jitsi to call the number: “//number” and not “number”.
If I put the number in the form of: sip:number (the correct way to structure the URI), then FileMaker won’t interpret it properly, and instead it simply sends it to Firefox/Safari and tries to open it which results in it doing a google search for “sip:number”

It seems handling URI’s in Absolute form (like sip:number) is a little weird on OSX, in that some applications will handle it properly (most of the OSX native apps like Contacts/Calendar and the terminal open command), others will just be confused (Safari, Firefox and FileMaker).

Other SIP applications will handle URI’s in Relative form (like sip://number) and simply drop the two leading slashes. Is there a way to get Jitsi to handle URI’s in this form, or some sort of plugin to rewrite numbers before they’re dialled (so I can just have it so it would remove the two leading slashes).
Otherwise my backup plan is to have FileMaker call an AppleScript that runs a shell command: "open sip:number”.

Just added a quick hack for this. Should be available in the next nightly.

Cheers,
Emil

--
https://jitsi.org

The change will be available in build 5060.

Emil

···

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Hey Dustin,

Cheers,
Emil

--

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31

Well we are following the spec, but we also generally try to follow
Postel's law. Obviously, "sip:something" is still the only right way
to represent SIP URIs but not minding the extra "//" when it's there,
didn't seem like it could harm so ...

···

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Dustin Kerr <duck@duklabs.com> wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for that!
I was a bit worried because Jitsi follows spec and it’s the other applications that aren’t handling it right :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

Dustin

On 27 Jan 2014, at 12:01 am, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

The change will be available in build 5060.

Emil

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Hey Dustin,

Cheers,
Emil

--

--
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31

--