[jitsi-users] Jitsi vs old hardphones

Hello,

After trying so many voip clients like bria, ekiga, kphone, linphone, microsip, QuteCom, Xlite jitsi is still the best but it has some annoying sortcomings what I just *hope* to get fixed finally.

Just to make sure all these issues are consist, I have downloaded the latest 2.8.5426 @ X64 build for Windows 7 (on server side I using astlinux (asterix 11.2 + prosody 0.8.2).

1, Forgetting the password on bad login:
Sometimes when the pbx is not available it drops me out with BAD LOGIN (this is once again because it's not available, not because the password changed or anything like that). This should be ultra presistent, try the password forever no matter what.

2, SIP Contacts are not stored on the server:
Jabber contacts are stored on the server but the added sip contacts stored locally in the XML. There should be a way to store these on the server (in case I install client on other machine/phone I should not lose the contacts)

3, Merged contacts (SIP+JABBER):
When I merge 2 contacts for the same person eg:
user@pbx.lan (XMPP) + user@pbx.lan (SIP), I should be able to select that I want to do ALL the voice+video calls through SIP and no chance through jabber (which unfortunately implements this capability brokenly). I know it's possible to do this from the config file to use SIP first but I even forget how. Why can't you just default it to it or add options?

4, Make configs unmodifyable, on linux it's quite possible with the +i flag but on the other hand on windows it's not. I had windows clients setup perfectly working then once they broke, because who knows maybe user clicked out some codecs, set this set that etc. Isn't there a way to lock down all the configuration?

As dumb as hardphones are they can do all this features out of box. Once you set them up they are roboust, they do their job every day. Instead of developing this videobridge whatever how about fixing Jitsi to be reliable software?

Thank you!

If your server supports it, jitsi stores the contacts there. That's a
default as the server offers this feature to the client, which than
decides what to do. Means, if your jitsi stores it on the local
filesystem, the posibility that your jabber or sip server does not offer it.

Marius

···

Am 14.12.2015 um 15:23 schrieb Martin Lund:

Jabber contacts are stored on the server but the added sip contacts stored locally in the XML. There should be a way to store these on the server (in case I install client on other machine/phone I should not lose the contacts)

Hello,

After trying so many voip clients like bria, ekiga, kphone, linphone, microsip, QuteCom, Xlite jitsi is still the best but it has some annoying sortcomings what I just *hope* to get fixed finally.

Just to make sure all these issues are consist, I have downloaded the latest 2.8.5426 @ X64 build for Windows 7 (on server side I using astlinux (asterix 11.2 + prosody 0.8.2).

Sometimes when the pbx is not available it drops me out with BAD LOGIN (this is once again because it's not available, not because the password changed or anything like that). This should be ultra presistent, try the password forever no matter what.

There's another discussion about this topic going on. Please refer to that. As you're mentioning Asterisk, please try with at least 11.11. I had this problem too and it disappeared for us with some newer Asterisk version.

This is not a Jitsi problem. SIP doesn't define server stored contacts as XMPP does. But have a look at the presence options in the SIP acount's properties. I don't remember the two possible server names right now.

user@pbx.lan (XMPP) + user@pbx.lan (SIP), I should be able to select that I want to do ALL the voice+video calls through SIP and no chance through jabber (which unfortunately implements this capability brokenly). I know it's possible to do this from the config file to use SIP first but I even forget how. Why can't you just default it to it or add options?

It's called CUSAX and it needs special configuration because nobody had the time to do the UI part for it AND it needs support on the server side as well. You can however relatively easily disable all media support on XMPP without linking it to a SIP account.

4, Make configs unmodifyable, on linux it's quite possible with the +i flag but on the other hand on windows it's not. I had windows clients setup perfectly working then once they broke, because who knows maybe user clicked out some codecs, set this set that etc. Isn't there a way to lock down all the configuration?

Use jitsi-default-overrides.properties. If you prefix any configuration item with a * it will always have precedence over any user configured value.

As dumb as hardphones are they can do all this features out of box. Once you set them up they are roboust, they do their job every day. Instead of developing this videobridge whatever how about fixing Jitsi to be reliable software?

How about contributing instead of complaining? Jitsi is open source after all.

Thank you!

Ingo

···

Le 15.12.2015 à 03:24, Martin Lund <scsi7143@gmx.com> a écrit :

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Hello,

Hello,

There's another discussion about this topic going on. Please refer to that. As you're mentioning Asterisk, please try with at least 11.11. I had this problem too and it disappeared for us with some newer Asterisk version.

That would mean I have to throw Astlinux as it is. Today I upgraded it to the latest version and even that only have Asterisk 11.8 in it. 90% of the new features I would probably never take advantage of not to mention that a lot of other things broke during the upgrade but the funny thing is that the bug remained :slight_smile:

I just don't see how cannot you force an app to authenticate on a server forever instead of giving up after 1 try and dropping the user misleading popup that the password is not correct.

This is not a Jitsi problem. SIP doesn't define server stored contacts as XMPP does. But have a look at the presence options in the SIP acount's properties. I don't remember the two possible server names right now.

Yes so it would be nice to store in the sip contacts in the jabber server, that supports contact storage. After I install the client on another machine it pulls all the jabber contacts.

It's called CUSAX and it needs special configuration because nobody had the time to do the UI part for it AND it needs support on the server side as well. You can however relatively easily disable all media support on XMPP without linking it to a SIP account.

Right now I forced to have 2 separate contacts like

User1 CHAT -> for XMPP
User1 VIDEO -> for SIP

It was a bad idea implementing video/voice/ICE/STUN etc capabilities for XMPP at the first place. Jabber is for chat only and nothing else.

Use jitsi-default-overrides.properties. If you prefix any configuration item with a * it will always have precedence over any user configured value.

I will try this.

How about contributing instead of complaining? Jitsi is open source after all.

I can't contribute because I don't know how to code, all I can write is batch files and shell scripts and I'm even lazy for that :frowning:

Commercial clients have more bugs than jitsi does and nothing users can do about them but jitsi have to focus on fixing these major issues instead of adding facebook and who knows what useless support.

Thank you!

Ingo

···

> Le 15.12.2015 à 03:24, Martin Lund <scsi7143@gmx.com> a écrit :

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users[http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users]