[jitsi-users] jitsi hangs forever on splash screen

Hi,
I've been using the latest Jitsi 2.5 amd64 happily on Mint 17.1 in a virtualbox vm for several months, but today it suddenly started hanging during startup, at the splash screen message "Ippi account registration wizard". (This is very annoying because I use Callcentric, not Ippi, which I had never heard of before today). It seems to hang forever (I've waited up to an hour...). This is 100% reproducible every time I try to launch Jitsi (the only way to get out of the hang is to kill the java process). Linphone on the same computer is able to login successfully to the exact same callcentric account, make calls etc. so clearly there is no network problem etc. on my end that interferes with accessing my callcentric account. Since I do not even use Ippi, it seems terrible that Jitsi would hang for me on "Ippi account registration wizard". I've tried rebooting; no improvement. I have tried dpkg --purge jitsi and reinstalling, but I get exactly the same eternal hang. Running Jitsi on another Mint 17.1 computer on my same network is working fine, so my best guess is that Jitsi is hanging due to some aspect of my computer's firewall config. But again, why should Jitsi ever hang during initialization of a service (Ippi) that I do *not* use and never even configured?? This renders Jitsi 100% unusable for me (I cannot even get it to startup, so I cannot even try to fiddle with its settings).

I was unable to find anything relevant by googling the universe, or looking at the Jitsi trac db (which only shows reports of all issues, not a text search box, at least for the public interface I can see). So I am starting the bug report process by reporting it here, as your website instructs. I do not have a login on the Jitsi issue tracker, so please consider this my bug report submission.

-- Chris Lee

I've been using the latest Jitsi 2.5 amd64 happily on Mint 17.1 in a
virtualbox vm for several months, but today it suddenly started hanging
during startup, at the splash screen message "Ippi account registration
wizard".

I have randomly seen this before, although hanging at the Ippi Wizard is just bad luck. It could haven any other plugin. I don't know what the culprit is, but I could always resolve it by deleting the ~/.jitsi. Beware though that this directory contains your configuration, chat history, etc. So make a backup of at least ~/.jitsi/sip-communicator.properties.

If that doesn't solve it, please send us your logs (https://jitsi.org/logs).

[...]
-- Chris Lee

Ingo