[jitsi-users] Jitsi does not connect to jit.si

Hello,
I installed Jitsi jitsi_2.8.5426-1_amd64.deb from https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/debian/ on my Ubuntu 14.10 and set up an account according to https://jitsi.org/Documentation/SetUpJitsiAccount

Then I tried to connect, but I get a reply that no connection could be established, getting the message: "The connection for the following account could not be established: Username: ###@jit.si, Servername: jit.si. Please check your settings or contact your network administrator for further information."

Below I posted the Java Trace from the console after I stated jitsi in the console. This is my first time getting on a mailing list, so I am not sure how attachments are handled, otherwise I would have put the output in an attachment.

What should I do? Please tell which kind of information you need to help me and how I can obtain them.

Regards and many thanks, Richard

PS: I already tried to send this email yesterday, but I think it did not work, so I try again.

TERMINAL OUTPUT:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt (111)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
21:04:38.102 SCHWERWIEGEND: [48] impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectUsingSRVRecords().888 Error connecting to xmpp.jit.si./91.121.47.14:5222 for domain:jit.si serviceName:jit.si
XMPPError connecting to 91.121.47.14:5222.: remote-server-error(502) XMPPError connecting to 91.121.47.14:5222.
  -- caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection.java:529)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:968)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:1204)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:943)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectUsingSRVRecords(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:882)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.initializeConnectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:670)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.register(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:467)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.util.account.LoginManager$RegisterProvider.run(LoginManager.java:423)
Nested Exception:
java.net.ConnectException: Die Wartezeit für die Verbindung ist abgelaufen
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:528)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.proxy.DirectSocketFactory.createSocket(DirectSocketFactory.java:28)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection.java:517)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:1204)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:943)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectUsingSRVRecords(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:882)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.initializeConnectAndLogin(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:670)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.register(ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.java:467)
        at net.java.sip.communicator.util.account.LoginManager$RegisterProvider.run(LoginManager.java:423)
21:04:38.130 SCHWERWIEGEND: [48] impl.protocol.jabber.ProtocolProviderServiceJabberImpl.connectUsingSRVRecords().888 Error connecting to xmpp.jit.si./2001:41d0:a:1c2c:0:0:0:17:5222 for domain:jit.si serviceName:jit.si
XMPPError connecting to 2001:41d0:a:1c2c:0:0:0:17:5222.: remote-server-error(502) XMPPError connecting to 2001:41d0:a:1c2c:0:0:0:17:5222.
  -- caused by: java.net.SocketException: Das Netzwerk ist nicht erreichbar
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection.java:529)
Nested Exception:
java.net.SocketException: Das Netzwerk ist nicht erreichbar
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:528)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.proxy.DirectSocketFactory.createSocket(DirectSocketFactory.java:28)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection.java:517)
21:05:23.551 SCHWERWIEGEND: [59] org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.notifyConnectionError() Closes the connection temporary
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:196)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:122)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:283)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:325)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:177)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:184)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.read1(BufferedReader.java:203)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.read(BufferedReader.java:279)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:2992)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:3046)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1410)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1395)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1093)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:329)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:45)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:74)

Most likely the jit.si server was (once again) down at your time. It happens often at least once a week, so you need to watch out that you aren't relying too heavy on the jit.si server. A good setup as a backup for such cases is to use at least two Jabber / XMPP server accounts. A great list if you are unsure: https://list.jabber.at/

Of course this isn't by far comfortable to tell your people they need to signup on several servers because of downtime risks, but at least this is most likely foolproof against destroyed messaging sessions. And hopefully this will avoid people saying that Jitsi / Jabber is a "toy". Had to see it once because of that... and I was able to understand him.