[jitsi-users] Jitsi 2.3.4766 starts on Win7 SP1 without the usual Java crash

It was a pleasant surprise that this nightly build was able to run, after upgrading, without the 'Oops' message and an error log entry showing that Java had crashed. This was going on for over a year and before this I always had to go back to the old version, to maintain a functional Jitsi installation.

Normally, I would think the stable version would be the most likely to run correctly, but in this case I was surprised. I tried a nightly, beta-unstable. This was as a last resort, before restoring my pre-installation OS image, as had always followed past attempts to upgrade this VoIP client.

Previous attempts to upgrade were resulting in Jitsi's crash-error message, immediately, upon its first run attemptm following installation. If this is of any help to the developers or other users, all the messages all began this way:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

···

#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x54b269fa, pid=6220, tid=5224
#
# JRE version: 7.0_21-b11
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.21-b01 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# V [jvm.dll+0xa69fa]

The repeated reinstallations, including the last old installation that worked, were all in the same program volume, D: on my system. The system's Java (latest version) installation folder, D:\Java is in the same directory as as the Jitsi one -- in fact, directly above it in the directory listing. Because Jitsi, for some reason, has its own Java subdirectory, I was beginning to speculate the crashes may have been related to Jitsi using the wrong Java installation -- or, speculating that having two Java installations on the same system might be asking for trouble.

In any event, I'm posting this, not for assistance, but in the hope that those on the verge of giving up on Jitsi for going back to Skype (I did see one post saying that) might try a nightly build and hope for better luck.

RonCam

Could we please see a complete hs_err_pid*.log?

···

2013/8/1 Ronald Cameron <rac1@sapo.pt>:

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x54b269fa, pid=6220,
tid=5224
#
# JRE version: 7.0_21-b11
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.21-b01 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# V [jvm.dll+0xa69fa]

Indeed, we've fixed this crash in the nightly channel. We're thinking
of updating the stable channel soon.

···

2013/8/4 Ronald Cameron <rac1@sapo.pt>:

C [jnwincoreaudio.dll+0x2002] Java_org_jitsi_impl_neomedia_CoreAudioDevice_getDeviceModelIdentifierBytes+0x32

Please do! :slight_smile: +1

FC

···

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Lyubomir Marinov <lyubomir.marinov@jitsi.org> wrote:

We're thinking
of updating the stable channel soon.

--
During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell