[jitsi-users] Jitsi 2.2 and 2.4 stopped working on Lubuntu trusty


#1

Today I can't get Jitsi to finish loading. If I launch it with -d it
gets as far as the following before just sitting there:
  ...
  at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.stopBundle(Felix.java:2278)
  at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1215)
  at org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:266)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

No graphics or dialogs come up at all, even after waiting many minutes.
This was with jitsi_2.2-latest_amd64.deb. I have just now tried
jitsi_2.4.4997-1_amd64.deb and get the same results.

How should I proceed to diagnose and fix this?

Regards,
/Lars


#2

Subject: [jitsi-users] Jitsi 2.2 and 2.4 stopped working on Lubuntu trusty
Today I can't get Jitsi to finish loading. If I launch it with -d it
gets as far as the following before just sitting there: ... at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.stopBundle(Felix.java:2278) at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1215)
  at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:266)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

No graphics or dialogs come up at all, even after waiting many minutes.
This was with jitsi_2.2-latest_amd64.deb. I have just now tried
jitsi_2.4.4997-1_amd64.deb and get the same results.

How should I proceed to diagnose and fix this?

Could you please send us your full logs?
https://jitsi.org/logs

Regards,
/Lars

Ingo


#3

Today I can't get Jitsi to finish loading. If I launch it with -d it
gets as far as the following before just sitting there: ... at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.stopBundle(Felix.java:2278) at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1215)
  at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:266)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

No graphics or dialogs come up at all, even after waiting many minutes.
This was with jitsi_2.2-latest_amd64.deb. I have just now tried
jitsi_2.4.4997-1_amd64.deb and get the same results.

How should I proceed to diagnose and fix this?

So the logs additionally show the following exception:
20:15:30.153 INFO: [13] plugin.addrbook.AddrBookActivator.start().130
Address book "plugin.addrbook.ADDRESS_BOOKS" ... [STARTED]
20:15:30.181 SEVERE: [39] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().108 An
uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and
message was: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.menus.ToolsMenu.registerMenuItems(To
olsMenu.java:434)
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.menus.ToolsMenu.<init>(ToolsMenu.jav
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.menus.ToolsMenu.<init>(ToolsMenu.jav
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.menus.MainMenu.<init>(MainMenu.java:
39)
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:194)
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.UIServiceImpl.loadApplicationGui(UIServic
eImpl.java:147)
  at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.GuiActivator$1.run(GuiActivator.java:165)
  [swing stuff]

(registerMenuItems tries to obtain the mute settings from the
AudioNotifierService)

Did you modify something on your system recently? Especially regarding to
audio?

Regards,
/Lars

Ingo

···

a:151)
a:132)


#4

Should I send them in a tarball to you off-list as an attachment? What
is the preferred method?

Regards,
/Lars

···

On 01/18/2014 09:15 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

Could you please send us your full logs?
https://jitsi.org/logs


#5

So the logs additionally show the following exception:
20:15:30.153 INFO: [13] plugin.addrbook.AddrBookActivator.start().130
Address book "plugin.addrbook.ADDRESS_BOOKS" ... [STARTED]
20:15:30.181 SEVERE: [39] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().108 An
uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and
message was: null
java.lang.NullPointerException

...

Did you modify something on your system recently? Especially regarding to
audio?

Just a regular update of packages (apt-get upgrade). What should I look
for in specific?

I've done that kind of update hundreds of times in the past. It's
possible that it caused a problem this time. It hasn't done so before.
The only unusual behavior I've seen in the past has been Jitsi quietly
quitting for no apparent reason from time time to time.

/Lars

···

On 01/18/2014 10:05 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:


#6

Could you please send us your full logs?
https://jitsi.org/logs

Should I send them in a tarball to you off-list as an attachment? What
is the preferred method?

If you don't want to send it to the list, yes.

Regards,
/Lars

Ingo

···

On 01/18/2014 09:15 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:


#7

[snip]

Looking at this on Lubuntu i386, jitsi won't allow an SIP account to be
configured if the package came from the Ubuntu repository. Nor does it
recognize an existing configuration, if one already exists.

However, if the package came from Jitsi.org, then it works fine.

Here's what works on i386:

$ apt-cache policy jitsi
jitsi:
   Installed: 2.4.4997-1
   Candidate: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   ...

Here's what does not work on i386:
$ apt-cache policy jitsi
jitsi:
   Installed: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   Candidate: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   ...

I'm not sure if the problem is with the Ubuntu package or upstream with
the Debian package it uses. But I've filed this bug report:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jitsi/+bug/1271075

So that's one way that 'apt-get upgrade' breaks things. A temporary
work-around would be to pin the version.

On AMD64, neither Ubuntu's nor jitsi.org's even finish launching, so
that seems to be a separate problem.

Regards,
/Lars

···

On 18.01.2014 22:30, Lars Nood�n wrote:

On 01/18/2014 10:05 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

So the logs additionally show the following exception:
20:15:30.153 INFO: [13] plugin.addrbook.AddrBookActivator.start().130
Address book "plugin.addrbook.ADDRESS_BOOKS" ... [STARTED]
20:15:30.181 SEVERE: [39] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().108 An
uncaught exception occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and
message was: null
java.lang.NullPointerException

...

Did you modify something on your system recently? Especially regarding to
audio?

Just a regular update of packages (apt-get upgrade). What should I look
for in specific?


#8

(moving this to dev)

I looked at the various problems Jitsi (the one currently in the Ubuntu
repository) has:

SIP accounts don't work:
- log4j doesn't come with OSGi on Ubuntu [1]. They stripped it because of
the bnd-dependency. How intelligent...

Account wizard hangs:
- I have no explanation yet why this happens, but switching away from the
dialog to any other window and then back makes it functional.
- This also happen when started with ant make/ant run. Thus I suspect a
window manager once again.

JNI loading problems:
- Sysactivity failed to load when using the Ubuntu build because of a
missing GDK_DISPLAY. The attached patch works around that, but the weird
thing is that the binary we have in git works anyway. Neither ldd nor
objdump show a difference in the imports of the two builds...
- There were other problems loading JNIs, but they disappeared. Probably
because I installed some build tools which pulled required dependencies.

Other:
- https://github.com/jitsi/libjitsi/pull/6 is already applied on the Ubuntu
package. It is from an Ubuntu uploader. I see no harm and guess we should
merge this.

Ingo

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache-log4j1.2/+bug/894302

From: users-bounces@jitsi.org [mailto:users-bounces@jitsi.org] On Behalf

Of

gdk_display.patch (1.23 KB)

···

-----Original Message-----
Lars Noodén
Sent: Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014 17:02
To: Jitsi Users
Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Jitsi 2.2 and 2.4 stopped working on Lubuntu
trusty
On 18.01.2014 22:30, Lars Noodén wrote:

On 01/18/2014 10:05 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

So the logs additionally show the following exception: 20:15:30.153
INFO: [13] plugin.addrbook.AddrBookActivator.start().130 Address book
"plugin.addrbook.ADDRESS_BOOKS" ... [STARTED] 20:15:30.181 SEVERE:
[39] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().108 An uncaught exception
occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and message was:
null java.lang.NullPointerException ... Did you modify something on
your system recently? Especially regarding to audio?

Just a regular update of packages (apt-get upgrade). What should I look
for in specific?

[snip]

Looking at this on Lubuntu i386, jitsi won't allow an SIP account to be
configured if the package came from the Ubuntu repository. Nor does it
recognize an existing configuration, if one already exists.

However, if the package came from Jitsi.org, then it works fine.

Here's what works on i386:

$ apt-cache policy jitsi
jitsi:
   Installed: 2.4.4997-1
   Candidate: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   ...
Here's what does not work on i386:
$ apt-cache policy jitsi
jitsi:
   Installed: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   Candidate: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
   ...
I'm not sure if the problem is with the Ubuntu package or upstream with
the Debian package it uses. But I've filed this bug report:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jitsi/+bug/1271075

So that's one way that 'apt-get upgrade' breaks things. A temporary
work-around would be to pin the version.

On AMD64, neither Ubuntu's nor jitsi.org's even finish launching, so
that seems to be a separate problem.

Regards,
/Lars

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users


#9

We need a bca for the pull request. Given the size of the patch though, it
might be easier to just coude the change based on the description.

--sent from my mobile

···

On 21 Jan 2014 11:34 PM, "Ingo Bauersachs" <ingo@jitsi.org> wrote:

(moving this to dev)

I looked at the various problems Jitsi (the one currently in the Ubuntu
repository) has:

SIP accounts don't work:
- log4j doesn't come with OSGi on Ubuntu [1]. They stripped it because of
the bnd-dependency. How intelligent...

Account wizard hangs:
- I have no explanation yet why this happens, but switching away from the
dialog to any other window and then back makes it functional.
- This also happen when started with ant make/ant run. Thus I suspect a
window manager once again.

JNI loading problems:
- Sysactivity failed to load when using the Ubuntu build because of a
missing GDK_DISPLAY. The attached patch works around that, but the weird
thing is that the binary we have in git works anyway. Neither ldd nor
objdump show a difference in the imports of the two builds...
- There were other problems loading JNIs, but they disappeared. Probably
because I installed some build tools which pulled required dependencies.

Other:
- https://github.com/jitsi/libjitsi/pull/6 is already applied on the
Ubuntu
package. It is from an Ubuntu uploader. I see no harm and guess we should
merge this.

Ingo

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache-log4j1.2/+bug/894302

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@jitsi.org [mailto:users-bounces@jitsi.org] On Behalf
Of
> Lars Noodén
> Sent: Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014 17:02
> To: Jitsi Users
> Subject: Re: [jitsi-users] Jitsi 2.2 and 2.4 stopped working on Lubuntu
> trusty
> On 18.01.2014 22:30, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> On 01/18/2014 10:05 PM, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:
>>> So the logs additionally show the following exception: 20:15:30.153
>>> INFO: [13] plugin.addrbook.AddrBookActivator.start().130 Address book
>>> "plugin.addrbook.ADDRESS_BOOKS" ... [STARTED] 20:15:30.181 SEVERE:
>>> [39] util.UtilActivator.uncaughtException().108 An uncaught exception
>>> occurred in thread=Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main] and message was:
>>> null java.lang.NullPointerException ... Did you modify something on
>>> your system recently? Especially regarding to audio?
>>
>> Just a regular update of packages (apt-get upgrade). What should I look
>> for in specific?
> [snip]
>
> Looking at this on Lubuntu i386, jitsi won't allow an SIP account to be
> configured if the package came from the Ubuntu repository. Nor does it
> recognize an existing configuration, if one already exists.
>
> However, if the package came from Jitsi.org, then it works fine.
>
> Here's what works on i386:
>
> apt\-cache policy jitsi &gt; jitsi: &gt; Installed: 2\.4\.4997\-1 &gt; Candidate: 2\.4\.4997\-1ubuntu1 &gt; \.\.\. &gt; Here&#39;s what does not work on i386: &gt; apt-cache policy jitsi
> jitsi:
> Installed: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
> Candidate: 2.4.4997-1ubuntu1
> ...
> I'm not sure if the problem is with the Ubuntu package or upstream with
> the Debian package it uses. But I've filed this bug report:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jitsi/+bug/1271075
>
> So that's one way that 'apt-get upgrade' breaks things. A temporary
> work-around would be to pin the version.
>
> On AMD64, neither Ubuntu's nor jitsi.org's even finish launching, so
> that seems to be a separate problem.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users@jitsi.org
> Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
> http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
dev mailing list
dev@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


#10

The symptoms are a bit different on AMD64 than i386 so I've made a
separate bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jitsi/+bug/1272703

There it does not even get as far as producing a graphical interface.

Regards,
/Lars

···

On 22.01.2014 00:33, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:

(moving this to dev)

I looked at the various problems Jitsi (the one currently in the Ubuntu
repository) has:

SIP accounts don't work:
- log4j doesn't come with OSGi on Ubuntu [1]. They stripped it because of
the bnd-dependency. How intelligent...

Account wizard hangs:
- I have no explanation yet why this happens, but switching away from the
dialog to any other window and then back makes it functional.
- This also happen when started with ant make/ant run. Thus I suspect a
window manager once again.

JNI loading problems:
- Sysactivity failed to load when using the Ubuntu build because of a
missing GDK_DISPLAY. The attached patch works around that, but the weird
thing is that the binary we have in git works anyway. Neither ldd nor
objdump show a difference in the imports of the two builds...
- There were other problems loading JNIs, but they disappeared. Probably
because I installed some build tools which pulled required dependencies.

Other:
- https://github.com/jitsi/libjitsi/pull/6 is already applied on the Ubuntu
package. It is from an Ubuntu uploader. I see no harm and guess we should
merge this.

Ingo

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache-log4j1.2/+bug/894302