[jitsi-users] ICE Failed Error


#1

Hello,

Whenever I try to call someone over the internet (doesn't matter what
protocol: I've tried this with Gmail as well as Jit.si), the other person
hears the ring but as soon as they answer the call fails with an "ICE
Failed" error.

I've seen this issue being reported before but was hoping for a clearer
explanation and a fix.

I'm behind a NAT router but it does port-forwarding automatically for
packets sent to my computer in reply to packets sent by me.

I have been able to successfully do calls within my LAN and the problem
only occurs with calls from within my LAN to somebody outside.

I have included a log here http://pastebin.com/9X6Pk9EK (also attached).
The address to which the call DOES NOT work is example@jit.si and the
address to which the call DOES work is examplethatworks@jit.si

Really appreciate any help. Thanks!

icefailedlog (181 KB)


#2

I have tried both the latest stable version and nightly builds and face the
same error.

My current version is 2.3.4684.9782 and I'm on 64-bit Ubuntu Linux 13.04

···

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM, firasmr786@gmail.com <firasmr786@gmail.com > wrote:

Hello,

Whenever I try to call someone over the internet (doesn't matter what
protocol: I've tried this with Gmail as well as Jit.si), the other person
hears the ring but as soon as they answer the call fails with an "ICE
Failed" error.

I've seen this issue being reported before but was hoping for a clearer
explanation and a fix.

I'm behind a NAT router but it does port-forwarding automatically for
packets sent to my computer in reply to packets sent by me.

I have been able to successfully do calls within my LAN and the problem
only occurs with calls from within my LAN to somebody outside.

I have included a log here http://pastebin.com/9X6Pk9EK (also attached).
The address to which the call DOES NOT work is example@jit.si and the
address to which the call DOES work is examplethatworks@jit.si

Really appreciate any help. Thanks!


#3

Interesting. It seems like you are never getting responses to your STUN checks from the remote party.

You didn't provide all your logs so could you please check if this is indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the pcaps, or better yet, by observing traffic with wireshark (the latter would be more reliable).

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 15.06.13, 05:53, firasmr786@gmail.com wrote:

I have tried both the latest stable version and nightly builds and face
the same error.

My current version is 2.3.4684.9782 and I'm on 64-bit Ubuntu Linux 13.04

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM, firasmr786@gmail.com > <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com> <firasmr786@gmail.com > <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello,

    Whenever I try to call someone over the internet (doesn't matter
    what protocol: I've tried this with Gmail as well as Jit.si), the
    other person hears the ring but as soon as they answer the call
    fails with an "ICE Failed" error.

    I've seen this issue being reported before but was hoping for a
    clearer explanation and a fix.

    I'm behind a NAT router but it does port-forwarding automatically
    for packets sent to my computer in reply to packets sent by me.

    I have been able to successfully do calls within my LAN and the
    problem only occurs with calls from within my LAN to somebody outside.

    I have included a log here http://pastebin.com/9X6Pk9EK (also
    attached). The address to which the call DOES NOT work is
    example@jit.si <mailto:example@jit.si> and the address to which the
    call DOES work is examplethatworks@jit.si
    <mailto:examplethatworks@jit.si>

    Really appreciate any help. Thanks!

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@jitsi.org
Unsubscribe instructions and other list options:
http://lists.jitsi.org/mailman/listinfo/users

--
https://jitsi.org


#4

Thank you for the reply. Here are the complete *.log files:

http://pastebin.com/UUy9SCcv

http://pastebin.com/h9vZpuMu

http://pastebin.com/EYjs0iye

and if you still need it I can try and install wireshark.

How do I scrub off email addresses from the .pcap files? My text editor
complains about some weird character encoding issues and that if I edited
using a text editor I could potentially corrupt the whole files.

···

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Interesting. It seems like you are never getting responses to your STUN
checks from the remote party.

You didn't provide all your logs so could you please check if this is
indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the pcaps, or better yet, by
observing traffic with wireshark (the latter would be more reliable).

Cheers,
Emil


#5

Thank you for the reply. Here are the complete *.log files:

http://pastebin.com/UUy9SCcv

http://pastebin.com/h9vZpuMu

http://pastebin.com/EYjs0iye

I was actually referring to the pcap-s

and if you still need it I can try and install wireshark.

Well if you could have a look at this yourself, that would be most helpful.
Capture a seesion and then check if any STUN *reponses* are coming your way
from the remote party.

How do I scrub off email addresses from the .pcap files? My text editor
complains about some weird character encoding issues and that if I
edited using a text edit I could potentially corrupt the whole files.

Yes, pcap-s are binary files, you can't modify them with a text editor.

Emil

--sent from my mobile

Interesting. It seems like you are never getting responses to your STUN

checks from the remote party.

You didn't provide all your logs so could you please check if this is

indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the pcaps, or better yet, by
observing traffic with wireshark (the latter would be more reliable).

···

On Jun 15, 2013 8:40 PM, "firasmr786@gmail.com" <firasmr786@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

Cheers,
Emil


#6

OK, so these logs confirm that no STUN responses are received by Jitsi. Basically we just keep pinging the other side and it never responds.

That may either mean that one of the two NATs is blocking this or that there's a bug in Jitsi (but I saw no indication of the latter in the logs).

Incidentally, could you please try if you can call each other using SIP accounts on ippi.com?

Cheers,
Emil

···

On 15.06.13, 21:06, firasmr786@gmail.com wrote:

I've sent you the pcap files.

Please let me know what you think.

I'll try out wireshark later perhaps.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:

    On Jun 15, 2013 8:40 PM, "firasmr786@gmail.com > <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>" <firasmr786@gmail.com > <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>> wrote:
     >
     > Thank you for the reply. Here are the complete *.log files:
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/UUy9SCcv
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/h9vZpuMu
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/EYjs0iye

    I was actually referring to the pcap-s

     > and if you still need it I can try and install wireshark.

    Well if you could have a look at this yourself, that would be most
    helpful. Capture a seesion and then check if any STUN *reponses* are
    coming your way from the remote party.

     > How do I scrub off email addresses from the .pcap files? My text
    editor
     > complains about some weird character encoding issues and that if I
     > edited using a text edit I could potentially corrupt the whole files.

    Yes, pcap-s are binary files, you can't modify them with a text editor.

    Emil

    --sent from my mobile

     >
     > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:
     >>
     >> Interesting. It seems like you are never getting responses to
    your STUN checks from the remote party.
     >>
     >> You didn't provide all your logs so could you please check if
    this is indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the pcaps, or
    better yet, by observing traffic with wireshark (the latter would be
    more reliable).
     >>
     >> Cheers,
     >> Emil
     >>
     >

--
https://jitsi.org


#7

I have tried both iptel.org (audio connection works, but no video
connection) and ippi.fr (both audio and video work) . Could this be a bug
in the program then?

I also notice that OTR chat doesn't work on the SIP protocols.

···

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

OK, so these logs confirm that no STUN responses are received by Jitsi.
Basically we just keep pinging the other side and it never responds.

That may either mean that one of the two NATs is blocking this or that
there's a bug in Jitsi (but I saw no indication of the latter in the logs).

Incidentally, could you please try if you can call each other using SIP
accounts on ippi.com?

Cheers,
Emil

On 15.06.13, 21:06, firasmr786@gmail.com wrote:

I've sent you the pcap files.

Please let me know what you think.

I'll try out wireshark later perhaps.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org >> <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:

    On Jun 15, 2013 8:40 PM, "firasmr786@gmail.com >> <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>" <firasmr786@gmail.com >> >> <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>> wrote:
     >
     > Thank you for the reply. Here are the complete *.log files:
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/UUy9SCcv
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/h9vZpuMu
     >
     > http://pastebin.com/EYjs0iye

    I was actually referring to the pcap-s

     > and if you still need it I can try and install wireshark.

    Well if you could have a look at this yourself, that would be most
    helpful. Capture a seesion and then check if any STUN *reponses* are
    coming your way from the remote party.

     > How do I scrub off email addresses from the .pcap files? My text
    editor
     > complains about some weird character encoding issues and that if I
     > edited using a text edit I could potentially corrupt the whole
files.

    Yes, pcap-s are binary files, you can't modify them with a text
editor.

    Emil

    --sent from my mobile

     >
     >
     >
     >
     >
     > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org >> <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:
     >>
     >> Interesting. It seems like you are never getting responses to
    your STUN checks from the remote party.
     >>
     >> You didn't provide all your logs so could you please check if
    this is indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the pcaps, or
    better yet, by observing traffic with wireshark (the latter would be
    more reliable).
     >>
     >> Cheers,
     >> Emil
     >>
     >
     >

--
https://jitsi.org


#8

I have tried both iptel.org <http://iptel.org> (audio connection works,
but no video connection) and ippi.fr <http://ippi.fr> (both audio and
video work) . Could this be a bug in the program then?

It could. Could you please send us logs for both sides from the same session?

This is probably too much to ask, but if you could have wireshartk capturing udp traffic at the same time, this would be very helpful.

Feel free to send to the logs to support@bluejimp.com in case you don't want them here.

I also notice that OTR chat doesn't work on the SIP protocols.

Yes, we don't support OTR for SIP.

Emil

···

On 18.06.13, 06:47, firasmr786@gmail.com wrote:

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>> wrote:

    OK, so these logs confirm that no STUN responses are received by
    Jitsi. Basically we just keep pinging the other side and it never
    responds.

    That may either mean that one of the two NATs is blocking this or
    that there's a bug in Jitsi (but I saw no indication of the latter
    in the logs).

    Incidentally, could you please try if you can call each other using
    SIP accounts on ippi.com <http://ippi.com>?

    Cheers,
    Emil

    On 15.06.13, 21:06, firasmr786@gmail.com > <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com> wrote:

        I've sent you the pcap files.

        Please let me know what you think.

        I'll try out wireshark later perhaps.

        On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org> > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>>> wrote:

             On Jun 15, 2013 8:40 PM, "firasmr786@gmail.com
        <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>
             <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com
        <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>>" <firasmr786@gmail.com
        <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>

             <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com
        <mailto:firasmr786@gmail.com>>> wrote:
              >
              > Thank you for the reply. Here are the complete *.log files:
              >
              > http://pastebin.com/UUy9SCcv
              >
              > http://pastebin.com/h9vZpuMu
              >
              > http://pastebin.com/EYjs0iye

             I was actually referring to the pcap-s

              > and if you still need it I can try and install wireshark.

             Well if you could have a look at this yourself, that would
        be most
             helpful. Capture a seesion and then check if any STUN
        *reponses* are
             coming your way from the remote party.

              > How do I scrub off email addresses from the .pcap files?
        My text
             editor
              > complains about some weird character encoding issues and
        that if I
              > edited using a text edit I could potentially corrupt the
        whole files.

             Yes, pcap-s are binary files, you can't modify them with a
        text editor.

             Emil

             --sent from my mobile

              >
              > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Emil Ivov > <emcho@jitsi.org <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org> > <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org <mailto:emcho@jitsi.org>>> wrote:
              >>
              >> Interesting. It seems like you are never getting
        responses to
             your STUN checks from the remote party.
              >>
              >> You didn't provide all your logs so could you please
        check if
             this is indeed so? You can do so either by looking at the
        pcaps, or
             better yet, by observing traffic with wireshark (the latter
        would be
             more reliable).
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >> Emil
              >>
              >

    --
    https://jitsi.org

--
https://jitsi.org


#9

(Sending to the list so that others can follow)

I should mention that google chat/voice works without issues through
gmail's site.

Sure, I would expect it does.

However, using jitsi for the same causes an ICE failed error. If it's
using the same XMPP server and the network configuration hasn't changed
between two end points, then this must mean that there could be a bug in
the software.

That's a logical assumption, however a bit incomplete. Google use non standard protocols on their serve. Not only that but they keep doing tweaks and changes every now and then and when they do that Jitsi stops working.

Obviously the GTalk client gets updated with the necessary changes so it doesn't face the same issues. This is why "a bug in the client" is not exactly accurate.

I'm not sure if the problem is a NAT traversal problem per
se? Or if the program times out too early in the whole ICE or NAT
traversal procedure as compared to google's native client through gmail.

It could be any of those!

I really hope this works soon. Calls through jit.si <http://jit.si> also
cause an ICE error.

Now, that's a different thing and I plan to have a look at the logs you sent me at some point next week (could you please confirm that they were captured at the two endpoints that attempted the call and right after the attempt was made?)

Thanks,
Emil

···

On 27.06.13, 16:46, firasmr786@gmail.com wrote:

--
https://jitsi.org


#10

Thank you. Yes they were for the same. I look forward to hearing from you.

- firasmr786

···

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

I really hope this works soon. Calls through jit.si <http://jit.si> also

cause an ICE error.

Now, that's a different thing and I plan to have a look at the logs you
sent me at some point next week (could you please confirm that they were
captured at the two endpoints that attempted the call and right after the
attempt was made?)


#11

Woul appreciate an update on this matter. Thanks!

···

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM, firasmr786@gmail.com <firasmr786@gmail.com > wrote:

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

I really hope this works soon. Calls through jit.si <http://jit.si> also

cause an ICE error.

Now, that's a different thing and I plan to have a look at the logs you
sent me at some point next week (could you please confirm that they were
captured at the two endpoints that attempted the call and right after the
attempt was made?)

Thank you. Yes they were for the same. I look forward to hearing from you.

- firasmr786