[jitsi-users] How to secure connection?

Hello,
I would like to secure my connection for video chat. I am running Lubuntu 14.4. In the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBBDHT-_UA there is a little text one has to read in order to check whether the connection is with the right person and then the connection gets secured. However I only see a red unlocked lock-symbol and I don't get any text. What do I have to do? I have seen that there are a lot of security settings in "Settings -> Security -> Chat"* in the main Jitsi-window and in the Chat window under "Secure Chat -> Automatically Secure Chat"* - however all those settings haven't helped to secure the chat and I am more confused than ever.

Also for security reasons I would like to know whether the XMPP-protocol results in a peer-to-peer connection, which is only established by the server (as it was with Skype in the old days) or whether the server handles the connection itself (as it was with ICQ in the old days, I have no idea how it is nowadays).

in summary:
1. What do all those options mean?
2. How do I secure my video calls?
3. Do the calls go via other servers or is it a peer-to-peer connection?

My best, Richard

* Not literally, since I translated the menu items into English.

Hello, I would like to secure my connection for video chat. I am
running Lubuntu 14.4. In the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBBDHT-_UA there is a little text
one has to read in order to check whether the connection is with the
right person and then the connection gets secured. However I only see
a red unlocked lock-symbol and I don't get any text. What do I have
to do?

Make sure that ZRTP is enabled in the account conifguration (Settings -> Accounts -> Your Account -> Security), make sure that the other end also supports ZRTP. If these are met, then ZRTP should be enabled automatically. If it isn't, I don't know why. Sending your log files[1] might help us find out.

I have seen that there are a lot of security settings in
"Settings -> Security -> Chat"* in the main Jitsi-window and in the
Chat window under "Secure Chat -> Automatically Secure Chat"* -
however all those settings haven't helped to secure the chat and I am
more confused than ever.

These are for text messages (this is what we usually refer to as "chat").

Also for security reasons I would like to know whether the
XMPP-protocol results in a peer-to-peer connection, which is only
established by the server (as it was with Skype in the old days) or
whether the server handles the connection itself (as it was with ICQ
in the old days, I have no idea how it is nowadays).

XMPP messages for setting up a call and so on go through the server. However the audio and video go over a separate path. We try to establish a direct peer-to-peer connection, but if it fails a relay might be used. Regardless, if the lock icon is green, you have end-to-end encryption of the audio and video.

Regards,
Boris

[1] https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ#logs

ยทยทยท

On 18/04/15 11:10, Richard Leibrandt wrote: